First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I thought it was common knowledge not to order anything important off Amazon. There were chinese knockoffs of Fram oil filters years ago and they leaked oil.
Hell, the legit Fram filters are bad enough. :crackup:
Been buying my oil and filters for years at Walmart. The family Fords get Motorcraft, my parents' Cadillacs get AC's, and my wife's Chrysler minivan gets a Mopar.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Motorcraft oil filters have been made by Purolator for many years. You can easily tell by looking at the base plate. The holes will be oblong and there is staking marks around the ID of the gasket.

Both my 15 and 17 Ecoboost Mustangs came with a filter that were definitely not Purolator but the Ranger filter was Purolator and all were branded as FoMoCo. The Ranger was the first one with a label verse being ink stamped. The fluting on the factory filter looked like the bottom picture the OP posted. The Motorcraft FL910S I put on the Ranger had the same fluting as the bottom picture but the branding was ink stamped.

The OPs top picture FL400S filter looks longer than the one in the bottom picture. Purolator changed the length of the filter quite a few years ago and made it shorter. Is it possible it is old stock?

Interesting tidbit; the FL910S spec filter was first specified in 1982 on the Chrysler 2.2 4cyl.

OP
OP
4rd SVT

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
^^^
Interesting, I didn't know that... [Purolator manufacturing for Motorcraft]

............................................................................................................................................................................

At MountainGoat,

I purchased a Purolator fuel-filter from Advance-Auto for my Tacoma a few years ago, and installed it the same day... Was defective from the get-go...
Spraying fuel at the hose end on start-up... had to take the junk-filter back to the store.

The fuel-filter is like the Ranger, have to remove the driver's side front wheel/tire, remove splash-panel and up against the block under the cast manifold-intake.

Wasted half the day, since I had to drive to another Advance-Auto store that had a Tacoma fuel-filter in-stock.

These days... anything is possible... plus with this so-called stock/supply shortage that's happening...

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I've always been a fan of the WIX XP filters. I switched my Motorcraft out for the Wix after my first oil change.

WIX XP is the same as the Mopar SRT filter, while Purolator makes the Mopar service filter. The Motorcraft filters have a good rep and are made by Purolator.. I'm thinking about switching my Ranger over to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic-SRT spec oil.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
That filter is NOT counterfeit. Ford redesigned them, and the label looks different.
the flutes on the top are different as well. OEM Filter looks a bit different.
I have 3 of the NEW ones I never used. One I installed on the Ranger before I traded it.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
WIX XP is the same as the Mopar SRT filter, while Purolator makes the Mopar service filter. The Motorcraft filters have a good rep and are made by Purolator.. I'm thinking about switching my Ranger over to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic-SRT spec oil.
For the past few years the Mopar filters have been made by Champion Labs, did they change suppliers again? Prior to Champion Labs the Mopar filters were made by Fram.

FWIW, the last time I looked Pennzoil filters were made by Fram.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Do research on it. FoMoCo has a ton of counterfeit parts online. Ive been burned by online FoMoCo parts. Do research. The pudding is in the details. Small differences in packaging, and huge differences in actual product. Wish i had more for you

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
there are several videos on counterfeit ford parts. Here's one

michacooks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Since the printing is different I'd Google some things for evidence that it's counterfeit. It's possible Ford uses different manufacturers building filters to the same specs though.
Ford oil filters are made by purolator

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
For the past few years the Mopar filters have been made by Champion Labs, did they change suppliers again? Prior to Champion Labs the Mopar filters were made by Fram.

FWIW, the last time I looked Pennzoil filters were made by Fram.
I dunno. The 'all night' diners around town do serve cheese grits or hash browns - customer's choice.

cheese-grits-13.jpeg
Sponsored