First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ranger
Occupation
retired
getting ready to change air and cabin filters. Don't know whether to go stock ford or an aftermarket. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have both...doesn't make any difference performance wise...I'm sticking with stock...

Desert Sage

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Educator
I change my air filters often- every 10K- but I live in a dusty desert hot environment. Not long ago there was a shortage of OEM air filters, so I had to go with aftermarket. All aftermarkets worked well, but one - the engine filter was too thick on the top and the canister would not close down. I have Prontos now- fits well, and the price was very reasonable.

CAUTION: make sure the cabin air filter air flow arrow, marked on the side of the filter, is pointing DOWN.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Motorcraft or NAPA Gold, which is Wix.

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like people swear by stock, but it's a filter. It's not some proprietary technology. I went with these 2 from Eco-Guard on Amazon and they were identical to stock, fit perfectly and felt very high quality. This was back in March.

ECOGARD XA11777 Premium Engine Air Filter Fits Ford Ranger 2.3L 2019-2022 - $14.24
Ecoguard XC35518C - This one no longer seems to be on Amazon. I'm not sure where it went.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I generally stick with OEM because if I am changing it out myself I am already saving a few bucks on the labor, so treat the truck to a better part.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
I haven’t changed engine filter on the ranger but went oem on my focus. I have typically changed cabin filter every 15k miles. (I may start doing it more often.) I typically don’t do oem for air filter as I don’t feel like going to a dealership and/or dealing with them at all. Usually order on Amazon or order for pickup at AutoZone or similar. The one I have in the ranger is an eco guard. They have some real fancy ones that have high merv ratings much like high end hvac filters. I think it doesn’t matter to much of your not super sensitive to dust/allergens. I typically go middle of the road on price/reported performance for them.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Seems like people swear by stock, but it's a filter. It's not some proprietary technology. I went with these 2 from Eco-Guard on Amazon and they were identical to stock, fit perfectly and felt very high quality. This was back in March.

ECOGARD XA11777 Premium Engine Air Filter Fits Ford Ranger 2.3L 2019-2022 - $14.24
Ecoguard XC35518C - This one no longer seems to be on Amazon. I'm not sure where it went.
I bought the second one you listed from eco guard. I checked also and it’s gone. I guess I will be ordering a different one this november!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

I bought the second one you listed from eco guard. I checked also and it’s gone. I guess I will be ordering a different one this november!
I got my Eco Guard cabin air filter on Walmart.com, less than $9, by far the lowest price I found.
Sponsored