No fuel filters?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Before I made my last service appointment I quickly Googled our maintenance schedule to see if there was anything that needed to be done besides oil at my mileage (30k, did my air filter at 25k)

Westpointvaford.com says "do your fuel filters".. so thats what I asked my dealer to do.
Screenshot_20220831-185048_Chrome.jpg

However...

20220829_180722.jpg

So... which one of these dealerships is stupid?
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Nope, no serviceable filters.
There's a mesh screen in the pump housing(not serviceable) but very rarely do those clog.

The manual is outdated and quite a bit of information in the manual does not apply to our rangers.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
Page 273 of the Owners Manual...............

"Your vehicle is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed."

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Before I made my last service appointment I quickly Googled our maintenance schedule to see if there was anything that needed to be done besides oil at my mileage (30k, did my air filter at 25k)

Westpointvaford.com says "do your fuel filters".. so thats what I asked my dealer to do.

However...

20220829_180722.jpg

I see you’re in Maine, which dealership?

OP
OP
Blmpkn

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Nope, no serviceable filters.
There's a mesh screen in the pump housing(not serviceable) but very rarely do those clog.

The manual is outdated and quite a bit of information in the manual does not apply to our rangers.
Right on, thank you. That's what the service advisor said but... sometimes they don't know jack from shit lol.. needed some forum validation.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Right on, thank you. That's what the service advisor said but... sometimes they don't know jack from shit lol.. needed some forum validation.
Quite often service writers don't even have a mechanical background. (Remember that, people who tip the service writer for whatever reason...)

The "techs" at my local dealer actually hate half the writers cause they dump more work on them through additional work orders the service writers convince the customer to accept.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired

However...

20220829_180722.jpg

Your question is, which one of their customers do they believe is stupid enough to fall for this?

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Always go strictly by your service manual. I'm kind of guessing that the engineers at Ford know what they're doing. Just a wild Shot in the Dark

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Quite often service writers don't even have a mechanical background. (Remember that, people who tip the service writer for whatever reason...)

The "techs" at my local dealer actually hate half the writers cause they dump more work on them through additional work orders the service writers convince the customer to accept.
For sure. Service writers are just salesmen with a different vocabulary.

But why would people get mad at the people providing them work? I see this attitude most in hourly employees. Rather than be happy that they have work, and therefore a job, they bitch about having to do something. Thank God I don't have to deal with this attitude from our ground troops at work.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

But why would people get mad at the people providing them work? I see this attitude most in hourly employees. Rather than be happy that they have work, and therefore a job, they bitch about having to do something. Thank God I don't have to deal with this attitude from our ground troops at work.
Going to have to stop you there. The "be happy you have work" is often not what the real working man is trying to convey. The problem is when the boss-man or equivalent tries to shove what is more or less a square block in a round hole in relation to work load and time available.

The worst kind of bosses are the kind who over-delegate, aka they are the lazy MFers.

Another dumb trope is the age old "adapt and overcome" or "figure it out". How about no, how about giving the proper tools (which includes time) to do the proper job.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Going to have to stop you there. The "be happy you have work" is often not what the real working man is trying to convey. The problem is when the boss-man or equivalent tries to shove what is more or less a square block in a round hole in relation to work load and time available.

The worst kind of bosses are the kind who ove-delegate, aka they are the lazy MFers.

Another dumb trope is the age old "adapt and overcome" or "figure it out". How about no, how about giving the proper tools (which includes time) to do the proper job.
Perhaps. But the post I quoted said nothing about time constraints.

It simply said they hate service writers because they sell unnecessary work. That's literally their job.

Work is where you go and do what you're told in exchange for money. Period. Don't like the work or the money, move on down the road.

In all the industries I've worked for the laziest employees are those paid by the hour, add a union in there and the lazyness is turned up to 11. Hell, my current employer is a perfect microchosism. Hourly plant and day drivers that move like the walking dead. And piece rate night drivers that do often times twice as much as their hourly day counterparts and are WELL compensated for it.

Hourly pay promotes the "I get paid hourly" mentality. Where as piececrate promotes the "I get this much $ for this job, I need to be as efficient as possible" mentality."

I'll totally agree about overdelegators. But almost as bad are the ground level guys who say "what does that guy even do, I know I could do it better."

As far as the "figure it out" message is concerned we'll have to agree to disagree.

A company can only provide somebody so many tools. If an employee has been provided all available tools and training, tools and training that work for the vast majority of other employees, at a certain point it's up to them to figure it out.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD

I assume it's cause instead of making a repair and moving to the next vehicle/job, they have to do bunch of little things such as checking wipers, fluids, ect.

I don't know, I'm not a tech but I'm not the type to complain about being giving multiple tasks either.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I assume it's cause instead of making a repair and moving to the next vehicle/job, they have to do bunch of little things such as checking wipers, fluids, ect.

I don't know, I'm not a tech but I'm not the type to complain about being giving multiple tasks either.
Odd.

Whenever I've had menial tasks to do as a part of my job I've always adopted the "I'm the best paid floor sweeper in the state" mentality.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Fuel filters are pretty much a thing if the past for most small cars and trucks. Along with power steerung pumps, throttle cables and very soon, steering columns! Some cars dont even have brake boosters anymore. Like our gas pedals, eletronic.
Sponsored