First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Hello! New 2021 Crew Cab STX 4x4 owner. Loving the truck so far. My only complaint is the clunky transmission, especially around town, but I only have 500 miles on her, so hopefully she smooths out.

So I have been lurking on here for a while now and one the most common complaints amongst members and vehicle reviewers alike, is the ride quality of these trucks. I have to say, my truck has been very smooth. I am very picky when it comes to ride quality, I actually traded in my 2016 Silverado because it had ride quality issues. Shook like hell. So this is something I am definitely sensitive to.

So my question is, has Ford fixed the ride quality issues since 2019 or have people just been knit picking? I just don't see the ride quality issues on mine that a lot of people have been complaining about. Just curious!
Yeah soooooooo........ The 10R80 is its own special animal when it comes to Automatic Transmissions. I feel it takes about 3,000 miles for it to fully learn both you and the truck.

As for the suspension..... Well everyone has already learned that the factory shock SUCK!!! Simple as that.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
why wait?
accelerate the process by following these steps....probably done in an hour.
1622658795055.png
You have reached your post limit for the day. Pick back up at 12am French Canadian time.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
90% of the posts on here are nitpicking, or repeating about nitpicking.
or teasing about the need or needlessness of a tailgate dampener!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
My FX4 rode like shit, but you can get some nice shocks for not a ton of money and that will fix it. I got the Ford Performance Fox 2.0 kit and I love it. I like the level look anyways so its a win-win for me.

I just replaced the rears with Fox 2.0 and couldn't be happier. I really like this truck.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Hello! New 2021 Crew Cab STX 4x4 owner. Loving the truck so far. My only complaint is the clunky transmission, especially around town, but I only have 500 miles on her, so hopefully she smooths out.

So I have been lurking on here for a while now and one the most common complaints amongst members and vehicle reviewers alike, is the ride quality of these trucks. I have to say, my truck has been very smooth. I am very picky when it comes to ride quality, I actually traded in my 2016 Silverado because it had ride quality issues. Shook like hell. So this is something I am definitely sensitive to.

So my question is, has Ford fixed the ride quality issues since 2019 or have people just been knit picking? I just don't see the ride quality issues on mine that a lot of people have been complaining about. Just curious!
Steve,
Mine rides fine and no complaints. Like the way it handle's. After all a Truck should ride like a Truck especially with a 4X4 stiffer suspension. I had a 2011 Ranger 4X4 which rode well too. I just upgraded to 265/70/17's from the factory size, so looking forward to test and see how they ride.

Side.jpg

Smith Ford 4.jpg

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, welcome to the forum. I personally had issues with the ride quality of the FX4 on my 2019 Lariat, and, like many members, I installed the Ford-branded Fox Leveling Kit. It improved the ride, while giving me more clearance and a higher seat, and I have been loving the truck ever since. Whether Ford has improved the FX4 ride since 2019 is hard to say since so few members have driven all the stock versions for all the years in question. The Tremors apparently do have an improved suspension, but that is a separate package....

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My first Ranger is a Cactus Grey Supercab 4x4 STX. I had no preconceptions other than "it's a new car, I'm assuming it's going to be good." So far I don't have a single complaint. Only 400 miles in, granted, but it's super fast, hugs the road, looks amazing and very comfortable. I hesitate to say it on here, but apart from floor mats and the glow in the dark ignition ring, maybe a bed liner, I can't think of anything else I want to do. (Expect to see me barred from the forum shortly lol.)
A lot of new members come on here who "can't think of anything else I want to do," but the feeling usually does not last very long!

mdbusey

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Software Technical Support
A lot of new members come on here who "can't think of anything else I want to do," but the feeling usually does not last very long!
Until you order the tailgate dampener and realize, that as stupid easy as the tailgate is to open...this thing is a game changer ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Then that phrase turns into... "All I need is one more thing" :LOL:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
and yes.....people....please stop spreading the misconception that the transmission adaptive process "learns your driving style"
that is simply incorrect.
Let's not get hung up on semantics....

It shifts based on input from the driver. Skipping gears if you're more aggressive, not skipping gears if you are less aggressive. Therefore it shifts differently based on who is driving.

That's why some folks say it learns your driving style....

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
A lot of complaints are about fx4, and we just change shocks
I

I have a 2019 FX4 & I have no ride quality issues.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I

I have a 2019 FX4 & I have no ride quality issues.
Yep. If you like the ride, then no issue. When I bought my truck the tire pressure was at 40. Finally figured out from posting here to use the door sticker, and for my truck it's 30. That was much better. I still found the ride a bit 'floaty', as other have with the FX4.

The FX4 shocks are tuned for off-road use, and off-road you may have a need a softer ride. Many people, me included, won't be needing that all the time. I bought the FX4 because it was available and everything else was what I wanted. I would have been just as happy with a 4x4. But anyway, that's another topic.

In any case, if you like the ride then no issue. If you find it sort of 'soft' then upgraded shocks might work. Bilstein, Eibach, Fox are all good options.

you do you.
Sponsored