First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hello! New 2021 Crew Cab STX 4x4 owner. Loving the truck so far. My only complaint is the clunky transmission, especially around town, but I only have 500 miles on her, so hopefully she smooths out.

So I have been lurking on here for a while now and one the most common complaints amongst members and vehicle reviewers alike, is the ride quality of these trucks. I have to say, my truck has been very smooth. I am very picky when it comes to ride quality, I actually traded in my 2016 Silverado because it had ride quality issues. Shook like hell. So this is something I am definitely sensitive to.

So my question is, has Ford fixed the ride quality issues since 2019 or have people just been knit picking? I just don't see the ride quality issues on mine that a lot of people have been complaining about. Just curious!
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
A lot of complaints are about fx4, and we just change shocks
True, along with adjusting/correcting tire pressure. Seems many dealers do not lower it from shipping pressure during predelivery inspection.

mdbusey

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Software Technical Support
This is my first truck, so I'm probably not the best one to comment here. But, the ride is not awful and I rather like it. I have a regular 4x2 and have not had any regrets with it. I know my tire pressure was about 45 each when I finally checked them. Once airing them down, it made a HUGE difference.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
This is my first truck, so I'm probably not the best one to comment here. But, the ride is not awful and I rather like it. I have a regular 4x2 and have not had any regrets with it. I know my tire pressure was about 45 each when I finally checked them. Once airing them down, it made a HUGE difference.
Yeah I always check my tire pressure when I get home after a new purchase. Many times I have brought cars home and tires were 40+. This time they were exactly at what Ford recommended. They were all set at 30.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
My 2020 rides fine, just like a truck. Give your tranny some more miles for it to finish the adaptive process. It should smooth out for you. Congratulations on that new Ranger. Enjoy.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
My 2020 rides fine, just like a truck. Give your tranny some more miles for it to finish the adaptive process. It should smooth out for you. Congratulations on that new Ranger. Enjoy.
Thank you. Loving it so far. I have a long trip planned next week. Looking forward to it.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
The trans will smooth out but it does take a while to learn. It isn’t necessarily the smoothest in the world but it is good a lot of ways. The 10R80 in your ranger is probably the most used transmission in the world right now being that it is found in F150, Mustang, and some GM models (10L80). This was designed by Ford/GM as a joint venture. Here’s hoping it serves us well for many years.

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
Hello! New 2021 Crew Cab STX 4x4 owner. Loving the truck so far. My only complaint is the clunky transmission, especially around town, but I only have 500 miles on her, so hopefully she smooths out.

So I have been lurking on here for a while now and one the most common complaints amongst members and vehicle reviewers alike, is the ride quality of these trucks. I have to say, my truck has been very smooth. I am very picky when it comes to ride quality, I actually traded in my 2016 Silverado because it had ride quality issues. Shook like hell. So this is something I am definitely sensitive to.

So my question is, has Ford fixed the ride quality issues since 2019 or have people just been knit picking? I just don't see the ride quality issues on mine that a lot of people have been complaining about. Just curious!
mine got better around 1000 miles, then I tuned it with the Ford Performance tune/Livernios and it actually got smoother. After the tune. I was surprised/impressed.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Tip:
Ether lock out gears in drive or use sport mode to shift so you’re not lugging along. I found my truck learned my driving preferences and shift points way faster when I took this route.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
It's nice that Ford gives a method for anyone to run a reset adapt!

GM? You need their scan tool... even if it's a sold as a 2002 (like my Tahoe). Really friggin' annoying when you replace or significantly service the transmission (you are supposed to reset the trans learning to avoid damage when you do). Can't just pull the battery for X amount of time.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Welcome to the club! It took about 5000 miles for my truck to really get the hang of my driving style and now at 12000 miles my shifts are silky smooth.

I noticed that most of the folks complaining about ride quality are folks who came to the Ranger from cars or other modern unibody vehicles. I have driven trucks my whole life - large and small - and I think the Ranger rides and handles fine. You shouldn't be disappointed coming from another truck.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Welcome to the club! It took about 5000 miles for my truck to really get the hang of my driving style and now at 12000 miles my shifts are silky smooth.

I noticed that most of the folks complaining about ride quality are folks who came to the Ranger from cars or other modern unibody vehicles. I have driven trucks my whole life - large and small - and I think the Ranger rides and handles fine. You shouldn't be disappointed coming from another truck.
I actually came from a 2020 Chrysler 300 which had amazing ride quality. Even then, I still think the Ranger rides great.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4

My first Ranger is a Cactus Grey Supercab 4x4 STX. I had no preconceptions other than "it's a new car, I'm assuming it's going to be good." So far I don't have a single complaint. Only 400 miles in, granted, but it's super fast, hugs the road, looks amazing and very comfortable. I hesitate to say it on here, but apart from floor mats and the glow in the dark ignition ring, maybe a bed liner, I can't think of anything else I want to do. (Expect to see me barred from the forum shortly lol.)

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Don't let them fool you. The transmission does not learn your driving style. The transmission is learning itself. The 10 speed in our trucks is probably the most complicated transmissions being used, with all the clutches, valves and controls. It takes some time to break-in and account for manufacturing tolerances. The programming self adjusts to give the smoothest shifts. This does take some time for things to settle out. If it really adjusted to you and your wife/significant other both drove it, it would be one confused truck. ?
Sponsored