First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
New guy here! Been thinking about a new ranger since I first heard they were coming back. My conundrum is all the reviews I've read or watched on boobtube said the ranger rode like a truck??? duh it is a truck. I test drove an XLT non fx4 crew cab today and I think it rode more like a 66 caddy as the o/p stated in the first post than truck like. I think my 2017 Escape titanium rides way more like a truck than the ranger does. I felt it wallowed over every bump and almost seemed like it was on the verge of being out of control. I know it was just a short test drive but I have to say my Escape feels much more stable and in control than the ranger did. Is it just me or am I missing something.
I usually say that my ranger drives almost like my 2011 Taurus. Same weight, almost same power, just a little larger. With 300 pounds in the back the ride is almost identical.
Sponsored

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
@Hairball
A dollar to a doughnut I bet the truck you test drove the tires were way over inflated affecting it's ride. Mine were near 50 PSI when I picked my truck up from the dealer. Made a big difference in ride quality when I dropped them down to 30 PSI where they should be. That much over inflation will affect how anything rides.

@SandBaja
I've seen the review with the two ladies you mentioned. She admitted in the comments to not having put it in 4x4 Hi or Lo until after it was too late. That they could have tried the rear locker if they known. They made a newbie mistake. You are right about that and things could have been bad for them if help had not come along. She did learn from the experience and did a better job off road in a Tacoma later on. Though the Tacoma was on hard dirt and not soft sand like Ranger ended up in.

I like them and follow her channel. She was new to doing vehicle reviews and most likely did not know much of the off road features on the FX4. I've seen a few of her project car fix up videos where when she has a wrench in her hand she tends to know her stuff. Props to Sarah for trying. If a lady has the desire to learn how to work on a vehicle she's got a thumbs up in my book. :like:

Hairball

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab,302A,FX4 2016Mazda Miata(zoom-zoom) 2007Yamaha FZ1
Occupation
Covid-19 forced retirement
@Hairball
A dollar to a doughnut I bet the truck you test drove the tires were way over inflated affecting it's ride. Mine were near 50 PSI when I picked my truck up from the dealer. Made a big difference in ride quality when I dropped them down to 30 PSI where they should be. That much over inflation will affect how anything rides.

:like:
I thought the same thing and went back to the dealers out lot where I parked it after the drive and pressures were 30-32 all around so that's not the issue. I will go back to test an fx4 model to see if it is any better.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Guess I was wrong about that then @Hairball . I have the 4X4 non FX4 and thankfully my ride is not as floaty as you have described. I owe you a box of doughnuts then, haha. Glad you checked the air pressure because that has ruled out one variable. Hope you find one with a ride you do like because it is a really nice truck overall. Not factoring the ride, are you happy with the rest of the things about the Ranger?

Hairball

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab,302A,FX4 2016Mazda Miata(zoom-zoom) 2007Yamaha FZ1
Occupation
Covid-19 forced retirement
Guess I was wrong about that then @Hairball . I have the 4X4 non FX4 and thankfully my ride is not as floaty as you have described. I owe you a box of doughnuts then, haha. Glad you checked the air pressure because that has ruled out one variable. Hope you find one with a ride you do like because it is a really nice truck overall. Not factoring the ride, are you happy with the rest of the things about the Ranger?
I do really like the truck. I had a 97 ranger a few years back and liked that truck a lot so I was very much looking forward to the return of the ranger. I think its a good looking truck , seats are comfortable and the drivetrain is solid. Like I said I will try the fx4 and if it is more of the same I could just get the non fx4 and upgrade the suspension with the money saved. In the suspension thread Stage 3 Motorsports is getting a new set of Fox coil overs and shocks to hopefully cure or at least help with the body control issue. As soon as they get them in they are going to put them through the ringer on their ranger to see if they help or not.

mntbighker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
I know it was just a short test drive but I have to say my Escape feels much more stable and in control than the ranger did. Is it just me or am I missing something.
My non-FX4 XLT 4x4 feels astoundingly like my 1986 Toyota 4x4 did. I think there is only so much you can do with a big heavy body on frame 4x4 with "flotation" tires. I drive it accordingly. And I'm not especially dissatisfied with the ride or handling. My friend's Edge has worse vague feeling steering in my opinion. I figure if anything unexpected happens this thing is very likely to flip over if I lose control. Nature of the beast.

OP
OP

lobsta11

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 magnetic grey, 302A & tech pkg. 2019 is gone. XLT super cab, ingot silver, 302a, tow & tech packages
I thought I'd update my original comments since this thread came back. I've found that even though the truck wallows a little the tires stay planted. Speaking of tires, my old Ranger had BFG At tires. 31x10.5x15" with Bilstein 4600 shocks. These stock Bridgestones in torrential downpours are 3 times as good with the suspension helping to keep them planted. Hope they work as well in the snow. In the urban environment the truck works well.

I've found that even though I have a light foot, around town driving causes a big hit to mileage. I seem to have settled in around 20.7 mpg. Highway mileage obviously will pick it up a little but it settles right back down off highway. Not using s/s or adaptive cruise control. Just not practical around here as even on the highway the truck could be shutting off every 20' then be back up to 50 <> 70 mph then back to a dead stop.

Like said before I expect to like this truck for a long time.
Al

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCrew Ranger XLT, FX4, Hot Pepper Red, Tow PKG, Chrome Appearance PKG, Technology PKG
Occupation
Cyber Junk
New guy here! Been thinking about a new ranger since I first heard they were coming back. My conundrum is all the reviews I've read or watched on boobtube said the ranger rode like a truck??? duh it is a truck. I test drove an XLT non fx4 crew cab today and I think it rode more like a 66 caddy as the o/p stated in the first post than truck like. I think my 2017 Escape titanium rides way more like a truck than the ranger does. I felt it wallowed over every bump and almost seemed like it was on the verge of being out of control. I know it was just a short test drive but I have to say my Escape feels much more stable and in control than the ranger did. Is it just me or am I missing something.
That's what it feels like with 47PSI. Mine drove terribly until I got home and deflated to Ford specs.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Check the tire PSI, as many have said many test models as well as deliver units have 50+psi in them !! crazy. Mine are at 30 now and made a huge difference.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
A month or so ago someone posted the "dealer prep" checklist that the dealer is supposed to follow. Adjust tire pressure AND fill wind shield washer fluid are both on the list.
My tires were 43ibs and the first time I hit my washer fluid around 300 miles in, my low washer fluid light came on :'(

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
I saw a thread on here about tire pressure. It mentioned your tire pressure should match what the sticker says in the driver door jam.
Thanks to this forum. I went and checked mine and they were at 45 also, going to call dealer tomorrow and bring it to his attention
The post went on to say Ford inflates the tires on purpose for shipping into the 45+ psi range. The dealership is supposed to reset the tire pressure as part of the delivery prep.

Once I deflated my tires to match my sticker, I had a whole new truck. It drove so much better. It handles and drives as I would expect it.

1D98CAB7-7687-4BD3-8C02-D51C871C57AC.jpeg

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Maybe I'm in the minority but in my FX4 I think the front is perfect and the rear was too stiff. I swapped to a set of Fabtechs in the rear and it matches the front now. I couldn't think of wanting it stiffer. I love the way it rides.
Can you share what is the model number of the Fabtechs you installed? I am looking for replacement shocks to provide some relief to the bounding or "floating" I feel at highway speeds. Any more description you can provide of your real world results I would appreciate.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I like them at 32. Sort of takes a little of the bounce out. What a great truck. Love it.
SuperCab STX 4x4 - no non-FX4.

Have mine set at 34 psi cold right now. Dealer had set at 35, though door states 30. I think 30 is a bit low for these tires.
Will keep at 34 for a bit. Will change to 32 psi if I think ride is too harsh.

Can say for the first 100 miles, I am very happy with Ranger. No issues so far, and am liking they way the truck drives/handles.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
SuperCab STX 4x4 - no non-FX4.

Have mine set at 34 psi cold right now. Dealer had set at 35, though door states 30. I think 30 is a bit low for these tires.
Will keep at 34 for a bit. Will change to 32 psi if I think ride is too harsh.

Can say for the first 100 miles, I am very happy with Ranger. No issues so far, and am liking they way the truck drives/handles.
I have a little over 6K miles now. Have run my tires at 34 psi since getting the truck even though the door says 30psi. Rides great for me on pavement and the miles long bumpy dirt roads to my Gulf launches. No issues with tire wear at all. :wink:
Sponsored