New Ranger Owner! A few questions inside

Rangerguy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2020 (used) Ranger Lariat 4x4. I've been looking at trucks for a few years and finally found one I liked. I always liked the Tacomas, but they seem a little pricier and gas mileage was not as good. I looked at the Maverick extensively and for the price of an XLT Maverick optioned the way I wanted it I was going to pay around $33k. So, I felt like I got a bigger, more capable truck in the Ranger.

I found my truck randomly checking car gurus at a used car place. Its got 30k miles on it, car fax says it was a rental/fleet but otherwise clean. A few scratches and a scrape on the body, the bed is pretty scraped up, which is OK since I plan on adding a spray in liner eventually. Mechanically it runs great, only thing is it drifts left when you let go of the steering wheel which is kind of annoying. It has 4x4, tech package, but that's it I wish it had the towing package but I can add that later. All in I paid $33,870 before taxes and fees. How did I do? Is the price too good to be true? Anyone know if Ford's warranty will cover the drifting issue?

rg1.jpg

rg2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2020 (used) Ranger Lariat 4x4. I've been looking at trucks for a few years and finally found one I liked. I always liked the Tacomas, but they seem a little pricier and gas mileage was not as good. I looked at the Maverick extensively and for the price of an XLT Maverick optioned the way I wanted it I was going to pay around $33k. So, I felt like I got a bigger, more capable truck in the Ranger.

I found my truck randomly checking car gurus at a used car place. Its got 30k miles on it, car fax says it was a rental/fleet but otherwise clean. A few scratches and a scrape on the body, the bed is pretty scraped up, which is OK since I plan on adding a spray in liner eventually. Mechanically it runs great, only thing is it drifts left when you let go of the steering wheel which is kind of annoying. It has 4x4, tech package, but that's it I wish it had the towing package but I can add that later. All in I paid $33,870 before taxes and fees. How did I do? Is the price too good to be true? Anyone know if Ford's warranty will cover the drifting issue?

rg1.jpg

rg2.jpg
I am pretty sure if you didn’t want to pay for the alignment you could take it in to a ford dealership with the warranty and have that figured out. Or a discount tire/tire shop. I would imagine it’s just an alignment issue. Regarding your price you got it for, I have pretty much the exact same setup with tech package and 4x4. However, I bought it before Covid inflation really kicked in, around March 2020. Got it new for 33,500 before taxes and fees. Then again it’s a lariat scab and it had been sitting there on the lot for a couple months. Scabs aren’t as popular as screws. Last but not least, welcome to the forums. You chose a good truck with a good forum :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rangerguy91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Might need a front end alignment to help with the drifting. Tire rotation could possiby help as well.
what kind of tires are those?
Thanks, I will look into an allignment. Not sure on the tires, I believe they're 18s but I'll check on the brand.

I am pretty sure if you didn’t want to pay for the alignment you could take it in to a ford dealership with the warranty and have that figured out. Or a discount tire/tire shop. I would imagine it’s just an alignment issue. Regarding your price you got it for, I have pretty much the exact same setup with tech package and 4x4. However, I bought it before Covid inflation really kicked in, around March 2020. Got it new for 33,500 before taxes and fees. Then again it’s a lariat scab and it had been sitting there on the lot for a couple months. Scabs aren’t as popular as screws. Last but not least, welcome to the forums. You chose a good truck with a good forum :)
Thanks man! According the CarGurus it was on the lot for 4.5 months, which I think helped with the price. I was just worried that the price was "too good to be true" and I would find out something wrong in the future or something. Maybe I'm just being worried unnecessarily haha

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Thanks, I will look into an allignment. Not sure on the tires, I believe they're 18s but I'll check on the brand.

Thanks man! According the CarGurus it was on the lot for 4.5 months, which I think helped with the price. I was just worried that the price was "too good to be true" and I would find out something wrong in the future or something. Maybe I'm just being worried unnecessarily haha
I think you did just fine with the pricing. According to a certain Ford Vehicle Engineer they are tested to run until 150k miles with no major repairs to the 90th percentile. Enjoy the truck and don't break your wallet staying on the forums too much :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome to the forum! That's a good price considering the used (and new) car market is through the roof right now. Great color too, that was my second color choice. As the others have said I would defiantly get an alignment and seeing as you just bought it I'm sure the dealer would take care of it for you. You'll need all the money you can get if you're going to stay on here as this place has been known to drain bank accounts while you're asleep. Just ask Brandon. :shock:?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum! That's a good price considering the used (and new) car market is through the roof right now. Great color too, that was my second color choice. As the others have said I would defiantly get an alignment and seeing as you just bought it I'm sure the dealer would take care of it for you. You'll need all the money you can get if you're going to stay on here as this place has been known to drain bank accounts while you're asleep. Just ask Brandon. :shock:?
A tailgate damper wouldn't hurt if you don't have one yet and at an easy price. Dave can help with some parting gifts also...Dave!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Agreed good price for the current market. Hahaha @Rangerguy91 you’ll soon realize Dave will post some raving review on a product any chance he gets. Don’t get me wrong, amazing products he links but your wallet will be grumpy. I have found posts from 2019 he hypnotized me to purchase various things… careful.. :piggybank:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Agreed good price for the current market. Hahaha @Rangerguy91 you’ll soon realize Dave will post some raving review on a product any chance he gets. Don’t get me wrong, amazing products he links but your wallet will be grumpy. I have found posts from 2019 he hypnotized me to purchase various things… careful.. :piggybank:
Brandon, No one made you click on those links. ?

Sleepy.gif

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fuzzy dice are one of his best:like:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jay's very busy and he already said he doesn't have time (3 seconds) to wait for the damper to drop the tailgate. I think we have a better shot at Al. :giggle:
It's like the Geico slogan except, 3 seconds saves you new tailgate cables?
Sponsored