MPG according to the ranger vs Real

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Few things:
1) Your Ridgeline was beating expectations pretty thoroughly as 28-30 is well above the EPA highway rating, and WAY above the real-world fuelly data.
2) Don't forget that mileage does improve with break-in. Not by 5+ mpg, but it will improve.
3) Don't discount the "granted it was cold" caveat. The cold, dense air adds to aerodynamic drag.
3b) It also keeps your truck from warming up to optimal operating temperature as quickly. How warmed up is the truck on such cold mornings when you get to the highway stretch?
4) Winter blend gas has slightly less BTUs than summer blend. The difference isn't as much as most people seem to believe, but it nonetheless has an effect.
5) The vehicle with the 6cyl/6-speed is designed with different goals in mind than the one with the 4cyl/10speed. That means the 4cyl can tow more than that 6cyl, but that comes with tradeoffs.
6) All these things are additive.

Anecdotally, I do believe that the Ranger MPGs are more severely impacted by winter driving than other vehicles I have owned, including after the engine has had plenty of time to get all warmed up.
makes sense. Before the highway segment, I've already got 10mi, so truck is warmed up. Only 250mi on odometer. I know it will get better with some mileage.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
lol, I had one for 3yrs until last week. Happy with the Ranger, but didn't expect a big hit on mpg
My bad, should have picked up on that. I usually figure on getting less than advertised mpg as the estimated are under conditions that I will never experience but I do expect to get close.

Hopefully yours will improve and as noted by others I also have taken a hit with winter fuel and temps. Did just complete an 1850 mile trip and averaged 21 with a strong headwind on the return trip.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
makes sense. Before the highway segment, I've already got 10mi, so truck is warmed up. Only 250mi on odometer. I know it will get better with some mileage.
Only 250 miles, that's a big contributor . Give it a couple thousand miles and things will get better. Bret

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Ridgeline? It never came close to making my spreadsheet when I was looking for a small truck. Ranger, Taco, Colorado.
I may be misinformed, but I think the Ridgeline is a unibody vehicle. ....doesn't qualify as a truck in my mind.
Towing, payload and torque sealed the deal for me on my Ranger. If I get real bored I'll add the Ridgeline to my spreadsheet. ...not expecting to have second thoughts.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I may be misinformed, but I think the Ridgeline is a unibody vehicle. ....doesn't qualify as a truck in my mind.
Been a while since we've had a thread derailed by a good "Ridgeline: real truck or not?" argument.

I'll get my popcorn.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but like I said the Ridgeline gets significnatly better economy in the same winter conditions.
I went from the Ranger to Ridgeline (2020) Does get excellent MPGs but its an SUV with a neat bed, and tons of room floor to ceiling behind the front seat with the seats up, as far as if it's a real truck or not I'll rob a bank and let the witnesses let the police know what they saw...................... pretty much going to be a "white pickup truck". LOL

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been a while since we've had a thread derailed by a good "Ridgeline: real truck or not?" argument.

I'll get my popcorn.
OK, I stepped in it. I'll either pull, out or dig in deeper here. Attached is my spec spreadsheet I used when shopping for my Ranger. ...still no regrets on my Ranger.

But it depends on your needs. I need good towing capacity for my boat. Ranger's torque split into 10 steps covers this. In the Supercab's cabin, it's smallish me, smaller wife and our Aussie dog. Plenty 'o room. When I had the full crew my choice was different. The blunderbuss '99 Durango was our choice.

Honda is OK. Top Asian brand in my mind. ...I'm guessing the 9 spd Ridgeline tranny is the same Z-F that is in the Accord and Jeep Cherokee.

Attachments

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
8 miles at 68mph in 8* weather is not sufficient for the engine to get into closed loop operation, therefore fuel economy suffers. Not to mention winter blend fuel....

My drive to work is 10 miles, with only 1.5 of that being city. Around 7-8 miles at 70mph+, my mileage starts to show improvement. Mind you, I'm in a different climate.

Most trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, so yeah, mpg will take a hit. But other factors include throttle input and braking.

pjs823

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
self employed
Are you all getting accurate MPG from the Truck? Mine is off by about 20%. I'm getting less than what the truck says.
Chris
18.1 is the MPG I am getting

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

I'll get my popcorn.
As I understand it the crux of the argument is whether or not the Ridgeline can be considered a real "man's" truck. As an example a companion brought his Ridgeline on our annual elk hunt and was both embarrassed and emasculated by the Ridgeline's inability to handle mud packed roads with deep ruts. He'll leave it in the garage next fall if he even recovers sufficiently to hunt.
So what if he got a few additional mpgs, he will never be the same.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OK, I stepped in it. I'll either pull, out or dig in deeper here. Attached is my spec spreadsheet I used when shopping for my Ranger. ...still no regrets on my Ranger.

But it depends on your needs. I need good towing capacity for my boat. Ranger's torque split into 10 steps covers this. In the Supercab's cabin, it's smallish me, smaller wife and our Aussie dog. Plenty 'o room. When I had the full crew my choice was different. The blunderbuss '99 Durango was our choice.

Honda is OK. Top Asian brand in my mind. ...I'm guessing the 9 spd Ridgeline tranny is the same Z-F that is in the Accord and Jeep Cherokee.
Surprising that the Ridgeline is the heaviest when compared to Ranger, Colorado, and Tacoma.

Must be that purse storage compartment?

Harringtonday Spreadsheet.jpg

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Winter Blend" Gasoline has been mentioned several times above.

....how is it different than summer blend?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
"Winter Blend" Gasoline has been mentioned several times above.

....how is it different than summer blend?
Here's a Car and Driver article on it.

Short answer is that winter gas is formulated to have a bit higher vapor pressure than summer gas. That reformulation causes a slight reduction in the fuel's energy density, though it's not as dramatic as many people seem to believe (somewhere around 1-3%, depending on who's numbers you're trusting and where you live).

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Surprising that the Ridgeline is the heaviest when compared to Ranger, Colorado, and Tacoma.

Must be that purse storage compartment?

Harringtonday Spreadsheet.jpg
I noticed and wondered about this too. ....must be all of the unibody welds?.

Another factor I consider when comparing vehicles is HP/weight and torque/weight. ...although HP means much to me than torque. Generally max HP occurs near red line, and I don't spend much time there. But a turbo's torque maxes in the mid 2000 rpms and stays flat through the normal working RPM range.
Sponsored