MPG according to the ranger vs Real

BlueRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lightening Blue 4x4 XLT
Are you all getting accurate MPG from the Truck? Mine is off by about 20%. I'm getting less than what the truck says.
Chris
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Are you all getting accurate MPG from the Truck? Mine is off by about 20%. I'm getting less than what the truck says.
Chris
Most people seem to have the truck report better than hand calculated mileage. Here is a posting that tells how to calibrate the computer on the truck to be more accurate. I've done it twice now and the truck now is very close to hand calculated values.

OP
OP

BlueRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most people seem to have the truck report better than hand calculated mileage. Here is a posting that tells how to calibrate the computer on the truck to be more accurate. I've done it twice now and the truck now is very close to hand calculated values.
Thanks for the useful information. I will give it a try.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Chris
Same here. Average mileage per tank fill-up regardless of octane is giving me 20% lower MPG when calculated manually after 6-8 fillups. The procedure that RedLandRanger links to does not work in my 2019 Ranger Lariat - I don't get the 'engineering' screen.

I fully get that driving conditions influence mileage, but right now I get (actual) about 16 MPG on 87 octane (10% Ethanol advertised) and 18 MPG on 89 octane driving the same route(s) each week. The few times I've splurged on 93 octane it's almost reached 20 MPG - I only do the calc after the second fill of the same octane value. The computer consistently displays around 2 MPG more than what I work out manually. Each of those grades of gasoline are about thirty cents more expensive per gallon and from an economic standpoint don't provide a return on cost.

I will say that low speed driveability has felt best with the 89 octane with less perceived lunging at lower gears. I've got about 3700 miles on the truck so far, and rarely use Sport Mode.

I live at sea level and haven't taken a long distance trip yet, that will be a different experiment.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Average mileage per tank fill-up regardless of octane is giving me 20% lower MPG when calculated manually after 6-8 fillups. The procedure that RedLandRanger links to does not work in my 2019 Ranger Lariat - I don't get the 'engineering' screen.

I fully get that driving conditions influence mileage, but right now I get (actual) about 16 MPG on 87 octane (10% Ethanol advertised) and 18 MPG on 89 octane driving the same route(s) each week. The few times I've splurged on 93 octane it's almost reached 20 MPG - I only do the calc after the second fill of the same octane value. The computer consistently displays around 2 MPG more than what I work out manually. Each of those grades of gasoline are about thirty cents more expensive per gallon and from an economic standpoint don't provide a return on cost.

I will say that low speed driveability has felt best with the 89 octane with less perceived lunging at lower gears. I've got about 3700 miles on the truck so far, and rarely use Sport Mode.

I live at sea level and haven't taken a long distance trip yet, that will be a different experiment.
Curious that it does not work for you - you have to hold the button down for a while as I recall - as far as I know everyone who has tired it has been successful.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a XL and I havent been able to get the engineering screen. My MPG was better when truck was new 23. Winter MPG is 21. Hand calc is about 1 MPG lower than what truck says. MPG is very variable it needs to be averaged by the month and then yearly to get real world MPG that YOUR foot in YOUR truck with YOUR gas gets. I have kept a little book in my trucks and record every fill up. Location, Gallons @ price per gal., and total cost. Truck mileage and MPG. I would be curious as to how the truck knows how much gas I put into the tank. I am sure that gas pumps are also NOT always perfect. So, everything is so variable that at best it is just a WAG. Wild Ass Guess. LOL:)

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Engineering mode works. You are probably looking at the wrong place and missing the little icon that tells you it's in that mode.

OP
OP

BlueRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is an XLT. I was able to make the change following the instructions to the letter. On my first full tank after the correction my mileage reported by the Ranger and by hand were within less than 1/10 of an MPG so I'm happy. Also gives me more faith in the estimate of when I am going to run out of gas. I didn't like knowing that that number was wrong too. 2mpg means 36 miles that I can't actually drive when the computer says I can.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I am sure that gas pumps are also NOT always perfect.
Your state's weights and measures enforcement agency should be regularly checking pumps to verify their accuracy (usually there'll be a little sticker showing when it was last checked), so I'd trust that more than whatever the computer is measuring. But, like you say, even that doesn't guarantee perfection. Around the time I started driving, my parents discovered that when they filled up at one particular pump at one particular station, they would get an apparent boost in calculated MPGs. This went on for months, and at times there would be people waiting for that particular pump even though other pumps were available (obviously, we weren't the only ones who discovered it), despite my dad telling the station clerks about the "issue" a couple different times.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
After updating Wheel circumference with forscan and 3 tanks of 93 octane the computer reads 19.7 my calculator says 19. Pretty close I would say.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is an XLT. I was able to make the change following the instructions to the letter. On my first full tank after the correction my mileage reported by the Ranger and by hand were within less than 1/10 of an MPG so I'm happy. Also gives me more faith in the estimate of when I am going to run out of gas. I didn't like knowing that that number was wrong too. 2mpg means 36 miles that I can't actually drive when the computer says I can.
Just curious (if you remember) - what value did you change it to? I believe the last time I changed mine it was to 944. I'm very close typically - sometimes more than what the truck says, sometimes less. It still varies, but it is much closer than it was originally.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I tried again and discovered how to do it. It was set on 1000 and I lowered it to 944.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Took me a couple tries to get it but haven't used up a tank to see how much closer it is.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Good to know. I hope I can find this link if I need it. I keep a notebook in each of my vehicles to log miles and gallons at fill up. Based on my first and only fill up, the dash mileage was w/in 0.1 of my ciphering.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I actually hit 30 mpg on my Ranger early on. But I wanted it to be closer to my manual calculations. So I adjusted the computer settings. Now my mileage is pretty much spot on. You can read all the different settings that folks say they adjusted the computer to, but it boils down to your climate, driving conditions and the way you drive. Based on my adjusted computer and the 15,500 plus miles, I am still getting overall 24.5 mpg since I started driving the Ranger. But that's based on my driving habits, what few times I tow the trailer and the landscape/speed affecting the mileage. I can still get a little over 26 mpg on some tanks.

So for me, I am very happy with the fuel economy I get. It works for me! ;)
Sponsored