Mouse in vent system

tnewcomb6370

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Have a mouse dead in vent system. Checked the fan and filter also ran a camera up to the heater core after dropping the fan. Anyone know how to take the vent tubes apart or the whole dash cover off for that matter?
Sponsored

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Have a mouse dead in vent system. Checked the fan and filter also ran a camera up to the heater core after dropping the fan. Anyone know how to take the vent tubes apart or the whole dash cover off for that matter?
Dang your not the only one. I've seen many threads on this lately. How are they getting in?

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
This is yet unknown to me. Mouse got into my 2020 Lariet a few months ago. It ate my rear window defroster wires on both sides. +400.00 to repair. Shit all over the place. The truck still smells from the droppings even though I spent an entire day cleaning with soap and vinegar. The smell behind is as if the damn thing died inside, but I'm unable to find it if it did. I placed two charcoal bags on the rear floors to absorb the smell and still awaiting for the smell to go away.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Once the smell goes away and it down
This is yet unknown to me. Mouse got into my 2020 Lariet a few months ago. It ate my rear window defroster wires on both sides. +400.00 to repair. Shit all over the place. The truck still smells from the droppings even though I spent an entire day cleaning with soap and vinegar. The smell behind is as if the damn thing died inside, but I'm unable to find it if it did. I placed two charcoal bags on the rear floors to absorb the smell and still awaiting for the smell to go away.
Get a small ozone generator and run overnight. Also works for musty smells and smoke removal. Bought a used car with the smoke smell masked by dealer until car sat in sun. Only thing that worked was the ozone machine.

OP
OP

tnewcomb6370

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Dang your not the only one. I've seen many threads on this lately. How are they getting in?
Think he came it from the fresh air system. Seen some turds on the fresh air filter so changed that and sprayed peppermint oil everywhere and figured all was good until I got the smell going to work on Friday. Stuck a camera down every vent as far as I can but still can not locate. Only smell it when fan comes on. Probably going to get worst before it gets better.

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Some ideas: Pure peppermint oil dilute in a bottle and spray the entire engine bay and any access points. Amazon sells "Fresh Cab": rodent repellent packets. Forget Bounce sheets...does not work. Try and avoid the problem all together, suggestions: Park in a garage, rat/mice traps (I find glue pads work best), keep garage free of clutter. If you must park outdoors; free area of clutter, trim bushes...rodents thrive in areas that are not kept up or a lot of junk laying around. You can also put a glue trap under your vehicle but know cats/dogs will stick badly to it also. I do not suggest poison bait stations especially if you have pets and it is not uncommon for a pet/neighbors pet to die from eating an infected rodent. Luckily I have only had this issue to a motorhome engine bay, not inside and luckily nothing chewed in the engine. So far........they are gone.

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Think he came it from the fresh air system. Seen some turds on the fresh air filter so changed that and sprayed peppermint oil everywhere and figured all was good until I got the smell going to work on Friday. Stuck a camera down every vent as far as I can but still can not locate. Only smell it when fan comes on. Probably going to get worst before it gets better.
So far I have had luck with the peppermint oil too. I know some that have used 1/4" mesh screening to cover and air intake areas.

OP
OP

tnewcomb6370

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Had them get into the daughters Sentra fan and had to take the whole dash apart on it to replace but can not find any instructions on the Ranger to get apart before I start pulling trim.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I think what they do is climb up behind inner fender and into fresh air inlet. Just purchased a car from an older lady for my daughter and I could smell smoke. This thing is a 2017 with 30k. Anyhow, there was a nest under the engine cover and it was smoking and smoldering. Was probably a long road trip away from a fire. Luckily the lady mainly took short trips.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have had 3 mice get in my 19 supercab I used gutter screen over the intake and haven’t had any since
I've not encountered this problem, but would like to act preemptively. Can you post a pic (if possible) of that intake and how you screened it off? TIA

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
two got into mine and chewed holes in my SVC Offroad sweatshirt in the backseat haha.

I trapped and disappeared them.
Sponsored