2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I got rodents on my camping trip to Canada in September. But I was also keeping a bunch of stuff in the backseat of the truck. Mostly just supplies, but there were a few snacks back there (little bastards got into some fresh baked goods I bought in Canda and wanted to save for the drive home) and I think the smell of those is what drew them in.

Luckily, I've had no evidence of them anywhere else in the truck since.

I was going to cover all of the vents with mesh as a future preventative, but plumb forgot until this thread came up. Now I've got that reminder of the project I ought to take care of before it gets too cold for winter.

Overall, I think shelter is probably the first thing that draws them in. I don't think the soy coating on the wires is the attractant, but once they get in, it certainly doesn't help matters. I think this is born out by the fact that fewer people have trouble with chewed wires than those who just have nests in cavities and soft stuff torn up for nest materials. In my case, they didn't bother any of the wires. They tore into some of the food in the cabin and they also tore up some paper towels for bedding.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I got rodents on my camping trip to Canada in September. But I was also keeping a bunch of stuff in the backseat of the truck. Mostly just supplies, but there were a few snacks back there (little bastards got into some fresh baked goods I bought in Canda and wanted to save for the drive home) and I think the smell of those is what drew them in.

Luckily, I've had no evidence of them anywhere else in the truck since.

I was going to cover all of the vents with mesh as a future preventative, but plumb forgot until this thread came up. Now I've got that reminder of the project I ought to take care of before it gets too cold for winter.

Overall, I think shelter is probably the first thing that draws them in. I don't think the soy coating on the wires is the attractant, but once they get in, it certainly doesn't help matters. I think this is born out by the fact that fewer people have trouble with chewed wires than those who just have nests in cavities and soft stuff torn up for nest materials. In my case, they didn't bother any of the wires. They tore into some of the food in the cabin and they also tore up some paper towels for bedding.
You can open the hood when out in the woods too. Removes the shelter especially in the winter, lets the heat out of the engine bay. Combined with all the other methods I linked it's been working so far.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
also if you have fast food or somesuch in the truck the smell will linger for quite a while, and the idiotic air intake design basically provides a superhighway for the mice to investigate the delicious odor

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Park any car almost anywhere long enough and mice will make it a home. Inside and out.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
My battery blanket was much worse. One day it was fine, the next I'm thinking the mice must have had a pot-luck dinner and invited all their friends. Covered it with Gorilia tape, the black stuff, a couple of years ago, and it hasn't been bothered again - so far.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Little sh!ts! =(

They've been chewing on my battery blanket again. And last summer they ate through my battery tender cable.

I've been blasting air in the engine bay to try to keep nests out. I have dislodged a few acorn shells.

I also got my second bottle of this and reinforce it with straight oil. I dunno if it does anything but their breath is probably minty fresh! =p

For a few days after an engine bay spray down, it's like riding around in a giant rolling toothpaste tube. =D

You can see where they chew
20231107_150152.jpg

Making it especially minty
20231107_150227.jpg
Wash the poutine remnants from yours hands before working under the hood my help 😛🤪😜

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Was up at my hunting cabin and a mouse got into the cab and crapped all over the seats and chewed on some napkins.

Has the peppermint and using the wire mesh on entry points to the cab working for you guys?

mice.jpg

fjwlobo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCREW
Was up at my hunting cabin and a mouse got into the cab and crapped all over the seats and chewed on some napkins.

Has the peppermint and using the wire mesh on entry points to the cab working for you guys?

mice.jpg
At least the charging cables appear to be in one piece 🤭 😁 🤣
Sponsored