Looking for input on wheel well extenders. What do you think?

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
Mind you I was thinking of painting a flat black to match nerf, nudge and future roll bars. My neighbor thinks I should paint them CPR. I accidentally purchased the extended version, but the merchant states if I pay for return shipping he will send the super crew version, which will fix issue shown near rear fender and cab of truck. Are they too wide? I like the wheel-extended-outside-the-wheel-well-look, just not sure if this is too big? Your input is appreciated.
IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3168.JPG
IMG_3169.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3172.JPG
Sponsored

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Imo, vehicles look best when the tire is more or less flush with the top of the fender.

Flares and stock wheels, to me, just look like the guy who goes to the gym and spends all his time doing upper body.. super jacked arms and tiny little chicken legs.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
If your tires come out to the edge of the flare then I think it’d look fine, otherwise I’d pass.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If I wanted flares that big and was considering painting them to match I'd look at the Roush flares. They're about that size but come painted magnetic.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I had big flares on my 2019 before getting wider wheels/tires. They looked pretty ridiculous but they helped protect the body well.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
As you can see in my "avatar" picture, I have the Ford offered fender flares installed. Part of my purchase, the dealer agreed to paint them body color (as well as the OEM arches that where the magnetic gray which are underneath).

With the 20" summer wheels and tires, I like it, but like #r1ch999999 pointed out, with my winter OEM 18" wheels it looks goofy.

The biggest thing I don't like, is the transition to the front bumper. I think most people that put on flares may be using aftermarket bumpers for off-road use and it's not an issue. But as I am not intentionally off-roading in any significant way, the stock bumper it is.

And though more elegant transitions are made, you can't buy them separate from the flares. If Ii could find some I would install them.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As others here are saying, these flares will look out of place without the right tires and the proper offset or spacers to push the tires out so they are near flush to the outside of the flare.

These flares are big and bulky and that really shows up on a bone stock truck, especially when they are a different colour than the truck. It’s a look that’s best suited to a lifted truck with wider, taller tires and quite a bit of poke. After all, that’s the reason these big flares came to be. My tires would stick WAY out if I didn’t have the flares.

If you plan on changing your wheel and tire setup, they should be fine, but they’ll look better in CPR.

A6332757-428C-4318-8798-3E10775A9CE7.jpeg

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
The biggest thing I don't like, is the transition to the front bumper. I think most people that put on flares may be using aftermarket bumpers for off-road use and it's not an issue. But as I am not intentionally off-roading in any significant way, the stock bumper it is.
That's my biggest issue with getting aftermarket flares. Wish they would start somewhat flush up front then taper out

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I can't be the only one whose eye twitched when he referred to fender flares as wheel well extenders.

I don't mind a little bit of wheel poke. I installed OE style smooth fender flares on mine just for the sake of paint preservation (0+ offset wheels). I am not a huge fan of the extended versions. Those usually don't like right to me without really really big tires (35's at minimum) and a very large negative offset.

IMG_20210304_171949.jpg

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
That's my biggest issue with getting aftermarket flares. Wish they would start somewhat flush up front then taper out
They do if you buy the right flares. RK Sport flares are exactly that.
Paint matched is the best by far.
IMG_0926.JPG

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Imo, vehicles look best when the tire is more or less flush with the top of the fender.

Flares and stock wheels, to me, just look like the guy who goes to the gym and spends all his time doing upper body.. super jacked arms and tiny little chicken legs.
You have seen me at the gym????

OP
OP
SheepDogRain-Jar

SheepDogRain-Jar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They do if you buy the right flares. RK Sport flares are exactly that.
Paint matched is the best by far.

IMG_0926.JPG
Troy;
Do you have spacers? And if so how wide? What size tire? And how wide are those flares (aka extenders, but I can't call them that, I spread conjunctivitis around the forum). I like your tire extension (their I go again!) and still want a contrasting color scheme. Thx

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Troy;
Do you have spacers? And if so how wide? What size tire? And how wide are those flares (aka extenders, but I can't call them that, I spread conjunctivitis around the forum). I like your tire extension (their I go again!) and still want a contrasting color scheme. Thx
No wheel spacers at all. My wheels are 16x8 0mm offset with 305/70/16 tires. I don't remember exactly, but I think they add 2" of tire coverage.
Sponsored