Big-List-of-Firsts Build - Input and expertise welcome!

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hello Ranger5G folks!
Just joined, after lurking here for a long time. Just bought a 2019 XLT FX4 last week, with the intent to gradually build it out into an adventuring/overlanding/family camping rig. Purchase was motivated by an impending move from TX to Colorado. The main reason our family is moving is to be closer to a more diverse outdoor scene. I am also an avid backpacker, and have aspirations to summit all of CO's 14'ers over the next few years. Accessing some of them requires 4WD and high-clearance vehicle.
Enter the Ranger:

PXL_20220425_194036303 (1).jpg

It's my first truck ever, and I have a lot to learn about it. But I'm patient and do my research. Looking forward to sharing progress and hopefully learning from the wisdom of the collective here.
The truck is in fantastic shape, with some customizations already done. Step rails removed, drop-in bedliner (I'll likely take this out when I build/buy a drawer system), 30" AT tires/wheels, and what I assume is an aftermarket lift. Looks to be about 2.5-3" past stock...? Can anyone share how I would determine this?

Something I'll need to address, out of the gate, is a severe uneven wear on the front tires; they are both almost down to no tread on the inside, and have 1/2" of tread on the outside. I assume this is a suspension issue? It is only in the front, the rear seems even.

Planned upgrades and additions:

(functional)
- Bed topper: probably a SmartCap Evo. It's pricey, but has the strength and flexibility to do a lot of things. Feels future-proof to me.
- Drawer system. Been looking at Decked, and it's really well designed, but it's also expensive, and I think I might be better served by custom-building something to my specific needs. I want to fit a kitchen into it, that can be pulled out and fired up with minimal unpacking.
- Food-grade work surface
- water tank, travel shower and sink
- Traction boards. All the cool kids have Maxtrax, but is there an equally good alternative that's not as expensive...?
- Ditch lights

I'm sure there will be more. I've got some bougie cosmetic upgrades in mind too...because I'm a little extra sometimes... :cool: Just going to be a work in progress for a while. Looking forward to documenting here!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Welcome John! Sounds like the front end is way out of alignment by the tires wearing like that. Any time you do a level or lift the front end needs aligning so I'd start there. Sounds like a nice build you have planned and looking forward to watching it.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Welcome to Forums John. Nice truck. about your tire wear... In my experience when the ranger gets a lift or level and an alignment is not performed, the truck will have a toe in condition. meaning the wear will be on the outside of the tires. (I experienced this issue) I have to wonder in someone dismounted the tires and swapped them around so the wear was less noticeable to a prospective buyer? Is the truck tracking in a straight line down the road? I also agree with AzScorpion that an alignment is in order. let us know what the alignment shop says.

Mighty Little Blue

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Supercab FX4
Occupation
Printer
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the traction boards I would go with X Bull 1/3 the price of Maxtrax. I have used mine a few times with no issues. There is an Australian guy that does a good review of them on You Tube also some reviews comparing the different brands available. For the price I do not think they can be beaten.
For the ditch lights, and all my other lights I have Diode Dynamics and are really happy with them. The companies customer support is very good, easy to get a hold of, and answer any question you have. They usually have decent sales around all the major holidays. There is a lot of reviews on You Tube comparing the different brand out there.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Lot's of people do a lift or drop and don't complete the job which is an alignment. They are only like $100 and will prolong the life of your tires like stock. An alignment shop would be my first stop if not back to the place you bought and ask them if they knew the tires were bald?

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome to Forums John. Nice truck. about your tire wear... In my experience when the ranger gets a lift or level and an alignment is not performed, the truck will have a toe in condition. meaning the wear will be on the outside of the tires. (I experienced this issue) I have to wonder in someone dismounted the tires and swapped them around so the wear was less noticeable to a prospective buyer? Is the truck tracking in a straight line down the road? I also agree with AzScorpion that an alignment is in order. let us know what the alignment shop says.
Thanks for the input. I doubt the tires were rotated around. The wear is pretty obvious if you're looking for it. The truck does drive straight, with no noticeable pulling one way or another. The only on-road indicator is slight vibration at high speeds.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to the money spending club!

As others have said, an alignment is top priority. Tire rotation or replacement as well.

What is the tire size on it now?

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Oh yeah the front two tires will definitely need replacement, they're too worn on the inside.
They're 305/65r17.

Strobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it looks pretty cool for sure.

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

Strobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Holy hell it's expensive though.
Not worth it to me.
yeah I’d only use it like 4 times a summer, but If it was an every weekend thing, and I lived in a warmer climate that would allow for a long season it would be. I plan on getting the Nomad ezlift tent next summer for canopy camping so it would take up too much space.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Ranger5G folks!
Just joined, after lurking here for a long time. Just bought a 2019 XLT FX4 last week, with the intent to gradually build it out into an adventuring/overlanding/family camping rig. Purchase was motivated by an impending move from TX to Colorado. The main reason our family is moving is to be closer to a more diverse outdoor scene. I am also an avid backpacker, and have aspirations to summit all of CO's 14'ers over the next few years. Accessing some of them requires 4WD and high-clearance vehicle.
Enter the Ranger:

PXL_20220425_194036303 (1).jpg

It's my first truck ever, and I have a lot to learn about it. But I'm patient and do my research. Looking forward to sharing progress and hopefully learning from the wisdom of the collective here.
The truck is in fantastic shape, with some customizations already done. Step rails removed, drop-in bedliner (I'll likely take this out when I build/buy a drawer system), 30" AT tires/wheels, and what I assume is an aftermarket lift. Looks to be about 2.5-3" past stock...? Can anyone share how I would determine this?

Something I'll need to address, out of the gate, is a severe uneven wear on the front tires; they are both almost down to no tread on the inside, and have 1/2" of tread on the outside. I assume this is a suspension issue? It is only in the front, the rear seems even.

Planned upgrades and additions:

(functional)
- Bed topper: probably a SmartCap Evo. It's pricey, but has the strength and flexibility to do a lot of things. Feels future-proof to me.
- Drawer system. Been looking at Decked, and it's really well designed, but it's also expensive, and I think I might be better served by custom-building something to my specific needs. I want to fit a kitchen into it, that can be pulled out and fired up with minimal unpacking.
- Food-grade work surface
- water tank, travel shower and sink
- Traction boards. All the cool kids have Maxtrax, but is there an equally good alternative that's not as expensive...?
- Ditch lights

I'm sure there will be more. I've got some bougie cosmetic upgrades in mind too...because I'm a little extra sometimes... :cool: Just going to be a work in progress for a while. Looking forward to documenting here!
From the photo, and it is only something I would have you have looked at by a pro, have your suspension looked at... It appears to me that the front tire(s) are towed in and the rear appears to be towed out. Again, it can be the photo.

Since you are moving to a colder climate, maybe look at something to help with fuel in the oil (catch can).

If you are making a overlanding rig, maybe look into a power outlet in the bed for those times you may need power when you are off of the grid.

If you are going to be in the Rockies, maybe look into a winch.

If it was me, I would look into getting Forscan so that you can enable some features (bambi mode as an example).

We can sure help you spend your money on this forum, so choose what you do wisely.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
Oh yeah the front two tires will definitely need replacement, they're too worn on the inside.
They're 305/65r17.
Welcome to the forum jdmurph....
Love your passion and ambitions...
A 305 65 R17 wheel and tire combination is about 32.5" tall, and judging from the stance of the truck in your picture I would guess your lift height to be 3.0"....First thing I would address is the suspension and alignment....tires are expensive....If you still have the stock upper control arms , proper alignment specs will not be obtainable and after market upper control arms will be required....I always have started my builds from the ground up...handling and ride comfort are always first on my list of wants vs needs....
Sponsored

Last edited: