Big-List-of-Firsts Build - Input and expertise welcome!

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
From the photo, and it is only something I would have you have looked at by a pro, have your suspension looked at... It appears to me that the front tire(s) are towed in and the rear appears to be towed out. Again, it can be the photo.

Since you are moving to a colder climate, maybe look at something to help with fuel in the oil (catch can).

If you are making a overlanding rig, maybe look into a power outlet in the bed for those times you may need power when you are off of the grid.

If you are going to be in the Rockies, maybe look into a winch.

If it was me, I would look into getting Forscan so that you can enable some features (bambi mode as an example).

We can sure help you spend your money on this forum, so choose what you do wisely.
? I can already tell I'm going to spend a lot of money on this.
Need to learn more about Forscan. Seen it mentioned a bunch, not really clear on it's purpose and benefits yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome to the forum jdmurph....
Love your passion and ambitions...
A 305 65 R17 wheel and tire combination is about 32.5" tall, and judging from the stance of the truck in your picture I would guess your lift height to be 3.0"....First thing I would address is the suspension and alignment....tires are expensive....If you still have the stock upper control arms , proper alignment specs will not be obtainable and after market upper control arms will be required....I always have started my builds from the ground up...handling and ride comfort are always first on my list of wants vs needs....
Thanks for all the input! I was estimating the lift at about 2.5-3" also, just eyeballing it.
Upper control arms appear to be aftermarket. Attached some pictures with a closer look at what's going on under there
PXL_20220508_151512132.jpg

PXL_20220508_151531552.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for all the input! I was estimating the lift at about 2.5-3" also, just eyeballing it.
Upper control arms appear to be aftermarket. Attached some pictures with a closer look at what's going on under there
PXL_20220508_151512132.jpg

PXL_20220508_151531552.jpg
Wait a sec! You have the factory shocks on and a different UCA?
B561C5D7-D52C-4FE6-8781-023DB2FED88E.gif

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
??‍♂ Do I? This is what was on it when I bought it two weeks ago. This is why I'm here. To learn what I need to learn. ?

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So I guess I have factory shocks with spacers. That's probably the main reason for the uneven tire wear in the front?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
So I guess I have factory shocks with spacers. That's probably the main reason for the uneven tire wear in the front?
Pretty sure that’s it. The FX shocks aren’t all that good. Many here ditch them as quick as they can. Go with some aftermarket ones that give the same lift and get an alignment and you’ll see a notable difference. Plenty of threads on here discussing shocks.

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Pretty sure that’s it. The FX shocks aren’t all that good. Many here ditch them as quick as they can. Go with some aftermarket ones that give the same lift and get an alignment and you’ll see a notable difference. Plenty of threads on here discussing shocks.
Makes sense. Would I need to replace rear parts as well, or just front?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Good looking truck.

My bet is this. Truck was lifted on coilovers and UCA. Previous owner swapped out coils for factory coils and spacer before selling and never re-aligned it afterwards. Or just flat never did at all.

Regarding your planned move, we're full here, try again later.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to the forum jdmurph....
Love your passion and ambitions...
A 305 65 R17 wheel and tire combination is about 32.5" tall, and judging from the stance of the truck in your picture I would guess your lift height to be 3.0"....First thing I would address is the suspension and alignment....tires are expensive....If you still have the stock upper control arms , proper alignment specs will not be obtainable and after market upper control arms will be required....I always have started my builds from the ground up...handling and ride comfort are always first on my list of wants vs needs....
I'm on 3.5 BDS lift, everything else in the suspension is factory, including UCA & FX4. My alignment is perfect still with 20K miles since the lift & alignment. The steering wheel is straight, it drives straight, and the tire wear is even.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Good looking truck.

My bet is this. Truck was lifted on coilovers and UCA. Previous owner swapped out coils for factory coils and spacer before selling and never re-aligned it afterwards. Or just flat never did at all.

Regarding your planned move, we're full here, try again later.
This was my first thought as well. A few of my friends have made deals to trade thier trucks at the dealer, then changed out a bunch of parts with friends while waiting. The tires and or rims may have come off another vehicle, just thrown on for the sale.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Makes sense. Would I need to replace rear parts as well, or just front?
Fronts cost the most for sure. I’m doing mine eventually and will do all 4 at once. Same brand so they matchup correctly. Mix and match with shocks isn’t a wise move. You will see a notable difference once you change them out

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Until you get to where it says "TRD".....