Big-List-of-Firsts Build - Input and expertise welcome!

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I just installed the Eibach 2.0's and they made a night and day difference. You can get them from Frank @Stage3Motorsports and they're a sponsor here. If you call him tell him to give you the AZScorpion discount or else he'll never get to post his videos before I do. ?

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/1...wd-eibach-2-0-stage-1-suspension-package.html
Thanks for the tip. I did just order the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Ford Performance kit for only about $250 more than that. Been reading up all day about Eibach/Fox/Emu.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Fronts cost the most for sure. I’m doing mine eventually and will do all 4 at once. Same brand so they matchup correctly. Mix and match with shocks isn’t a wise move. You will see a notable difference once you change them out
Just ordered the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Ford Performance kit. Install seems simple enough, to save some $. Will replace the front tires and then get an alignment. I feel like I should be well set at that point.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Just ordered the Fox 2.0 Stage 1 Ford Performance kit. Install seems simple enough, to save some $. Will replace the front tires and then get an alignment. I feel like I should be well set at that point.
I would check and see it the rear ones are the Ford FX ones. If you’re going to the trouble of doing the fronts the rears are cheap and will make a noticeable difference in ride and handling. Especially the shock you chose.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would check and see it the rear ones are the Ford FX ones. If you’re going to the trouble of doing the fronts the rears are cheap and will make a noticeable difference in ride and handling. Especially the shock you chose.
I ordered the full kit, fronts and backs. Figured it would be best to have fresh matching shocks all around.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
So how does one uproot and move across the country for the purposes of backpacking and mountain climbing?

I don’t even understand the concept. Only ever lived 100 miles away from where I grew up though.

Reactions: Doc

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
So how does one uproot and move across the country for the purposes of backpacking and mountain climbing?

I don’t even understand the concept. Only ever lived 100 miles away from where I grew up though.
??‍♂ Just a thing my wife and I want to do. We're super bored with Texas. Nothing to do here unless you are into lake scene, which we aren't. Colorado has called to me since I was a kid. Right time for the change.

My dad had been content to live in one place his whole life. Some people are just wired like that. Nothing wrong with it, but I can't relate. I've always felt like a nomad. Happy to not settle in one place. Keep seeking new experiences and what it's like to live in different places.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
??‍♂ Just a thing my wife and I want to do. We're super bored with Texas. Nothing to do here unless you are into lake scene, which we aren't. Colorado has called to me since I was a kid. Right time for the change.

My dad had been content to live in one place his whole life. Some people are just wired like that. Nothing wrong with it, but I can't relate. I've always felt like a nomad. Happy to not settle in one place. Keep seeking new experiences and what it's like to live in different places.
I grew up in MA and always hated it there. Everyone always talks about moving away but most rarely do it. I bought my house out here in AZ on a short sale for an investment and never intended on living here. 3 years later I packed up and moved and it's been one of the best decision I've made in a long time. I still have friends back there who say all the time "I can't believe you moved as no one ever leaves here". I figure you can always go back so why not try it? You only live once!

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I grew up in MA and always hated it there. Everyone always talks about moving away but most rarely do it. I bought my house out here in AZ on a short sale for an investment and never intended on living here. 3 years later I packed up and moved and it's been one of the best decision I've made in a long time. I still have friends back there who say all the time "I can't believe you moved as no one ever leaves here". I figure you can always go back so why not try it? You only live once!
Exactly. I've lived in Texas 16 years and it's 10 years longer than I wanted to. But I kept making excuses to not take the leap to uproot my family and go somewhere I actually wanted to be.
Excuses no more.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Possibly all this has to do with Where you are. I’m blessed to live in a region that people are moving to in droves. I don’t blame them.

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Possibly all this has to do with Where you are. I’m blessed to live in a region that people are moving to in droves. I don’t blame them.
Oh people are moving to where I am in droves too. DFW has been the fastest growing metro in the country for over a decade, no signs of slowing.
Doesn't change the fact that it sucks. ?

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Got the Fox 2.0 (Ford Performance variant) in today. Already got the rears on. Fronts tomorrow.
Turns out the existing rear shocks were cheap Fabtech, not even the stock FX4... Fronts are factory, but with Fabtech leveling spacers.
@D Fresh might have been right. ??‍♂
Either way, looking forward to having this truck done right.

PXL_20220512_213444127.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Got the Fox 2.0 (Ford Performance variant) in today. Already got the rears on. Fronts tomorrow.
Turns out the existing rear shocks were cheap Fabtech, not even the stock FX4... Fronts are factory, but with Fabtech leveling spacers.
@D Fresh might have been right. ??‍♂
Either way, looking forward to having this truck done right.

PXL_20220512_213444127.jpg
I speak using the machine gum method. If I spray out enough bullshit eventually something will hit. :LOL:

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Got the Fox kit installed. Did the rears myself, but the previous owners shitty spacer lift in the front created too much downward tension on the tie rods, and I didn't feel comfortable figuring it out myself with my limited space and tools. Took it to a local customs shop and they took care of it for relatively cheap.
I left the kit at it's stock height, so the result is the front is about 1.5-2" lower than it was. I don't mind the rake, I'll probably leave it as is.
Already feels so much better on the road. Tighter, more stable handling.

OP
OP
jdmurph

jdmurph

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
On today's edition of what did I do to my Ranger: picked up a set of Tremor step bars from a local forum member, got them installed. I kind of like the look without steps, but it's meant to be family functional, and the wife/kids are very happy.

Next up, have a tonneau cover (temporary until I can get my hands on a SmartCap) and will start building out a drawer system. Decided to build rather than buy, because 1) cheaper, and 2) I have full control over sizing and features. That'll be a gradual build process as I move to CO hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks.

PXL_20220530_194749751.jpg

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
John,
Any updates on your truck?