Looking for a bit firmer suspension, what is next?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered ABS plastic sheets, JB Weld plastic weld, JB Weld plastic putty, and Bondo plastic filler for the fender flares. I will start an @OFC Ranger inspired mod thread for them soon!
Sponsored

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Wow holy crap. I guess it was like a boiling water affect, as time went on I added more and more gear I failed to pay attention. The only downside is my tallest roof trunks are about 2" too tall to fit through the garage door now. lol

Oh well.

I also opted to keep my 1" eibach blocks installed because unlike most, I will be retaining a constant heavy load in an almost permanent configuration. Now I retain my 1+ " height in the rear when fully loaded instead of a bit of drop from said load even with the leaf helpers in.

Also gives me a very small rake, which I actually prefer in this setup.

Pictures say it all, shesh.

IMG_20230508_202309.jpg

IMG_20230509_214602.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Wow holy crap. I guess it was like a boiling water affect, as time went on I added more and more gear I failed to pay attention. The only downside is my tallest roof trunks are about 2" too tall to fit through the garage door now. lol

Oh well.

I also opted to keep my 1" eibach blocks installed because unlike most, I will be retaining a constant heavy load in an almost permanent configuration. Now I retain my 1+ " height in the rear when fully loaded instead of a bit of drop from said load even with the leaf helpers in.

Also gives me a very small rake, which I actually prefer in this setup.

Pictures say it all, shesh.

IMG_20230508_202309.jpg

IMG_20230509_214602.jpg
Being fully loaded it is ok to be level or have small rake. That is the purpose of a truck having rake in the first place.

Wich helpers did you get? Also with all that weight how is the ride with the new helpers installed?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Being fully loaded it is ok to be level or have small rake. That is the purpose of a truck having rake in the first place.

Wich helpers did you get? Also with all that weight how is the ride with the new helpers installed?
I went with autospring. Pair of 750lb helpers was $260. Install is just drop in between top leaf and bottom overload leaf.

Small jaunt after install; My poor eibach felt like factory shocks with all that weight. Much better now.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So after action report after doing about 300 miles round trip over the weekend.

Not much to say other than everything is just flat better. I am now back to properly floating over uneven terrain instead of bouncing over it. Truck seems to handle much better on the highway as well, though not sure if this is a placebo effect or a mixture of both.

No creaking or squeaking either, but these helper leafs did come with proper coating and teflon contact pads, like all should I imagine.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

Not much to say other than everything is just flat better. I am now back to properly floating over uneven terrain instead of bouncing over it. Truck seems to handle much better on the highway as well, though not sure if this is a placebo effect or a mixture of both.

No creaking or squeaking either, but these helper leafs did come with proper coating and teflon contact pads, like all should I imagine.
glad you like them. I felt like they were a big improvement on my ranger as well. much more secure feel now instead of the floaty boaty feel on bumps.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I find the rear of my truck tends to bounce more and jar whatever is in my bed with the add-a-leaf. It's a bit annoying, but I'm not reversed raked and it handles weight well. It was key back when I had a boat I was towing to the boat ramp too.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Would the Sumo Springs be any help for this?
I've been distracted and haven't installed either the Sumo's or the Euro springs. From a street handling perspective (and my personal speculation) I expe t that independently the Sumo's will make each rear spring more 'progressive' due to their inherent design and in the case of an unladen truck improve handling.

Tweaking the rear still begs addressing the front and in the absence of a modest swaybar upgrade I'd still like to firm up the front a hair, especially since I've raised the front with the Eibachs. There are heavier duty end links that 'might' stiffen things but in the past I've found changing the swaybar-to-frame bushings to stiffer urethane doesn't introduce extreme (dangerous) loss of traction.

A stiffer front bar:
1. Decreases front chassis roll.
2. Decreases front grip or traction, while increasing rear grip or traction.
3. Faster steering response.
4. Decreases off-power steering at corner entry.

I believe other experienced members have expressed caution at randomly changing the factory design but I'm looking at subtle improvement IMO.

Not radical stuff, but I haven't found replacement front bushings.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I believe other experienced members have expressed caution at randomly changing the factory design but I'm looking at subtle improvement IMO.
Anything altered out of spec is going to to have some level of risk.

Different offset wheels? Danger

Wheel spacers? Danger

Different Suspension? Danger

Tuner? Danger

Non-motorcraft oil filter? Danger

Relocating front cruise control radar? Danger

Blah Blah Blah

There are always extremes in everything, like a 1" wheel spacer vs. a 10" brotruck wheel spacer, but some people only see black and white.

Heiserton

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.3dproto-lab.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Aviation
I've installed Sumo Springs and Hellwigs on mine just a couple days ago, have about 500 miles on them so far and the Hellwigs will probably come off. Probably overkill with them on, but I think the Sumo springs would suffice on their own.

IMG-1423.jpg

IMG-1422.jpg

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013

Its users like you that make this community what it is. Thanks for the report and love the truck. I wonder if the wildtrack springs would have done something similar?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer

It's been a few months since you installed the Auto Springs and I wondered if you're still happy you went that route.

Question for you and others:
I have a '19 4x4 Lariat with a 1434Lb payload limit but I will be getting a Scout Yoho camper weighing in at 1100 Lbs. The camper isn't going to be on the truck 100% of the time (maybe closer to 50-50). My first thought is airbags. But I'm also wondering about the Auto Spring add a leaf. That would increase payload capability and I think it would be pretty helpful with an 1100 Lb load (in addition to airbags) but what is the ride like with no cargo? (I don't want to be bouncing down the road...lol ).

Alternately I also considered a Hellwig helper but that solution means no airbags.

Lastly new springs is an option but I'm not ready to take on that expense at this point and see no point...I will not be doing any off roading with the camper on.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It's been a few months since you installed the Auto Springs and I wondered if you're still happy you went that route.

Alternately I also considered a Hellwig helper but that solution means no airbags.

Lastly new springs is an option but I'm not ready to take on that expense at this point and see no point...I will not be doing any off roading with the camper on.
I'm no expert or super experienced person on this but after communicating with @Grumpaw I'd consider the Roadmaster independent rear suspension kit before the Hellwig. The costs are sort of in the same ballpark but I believe the Roadmasters are going to be safer in emergency maneuvers on an unladen truck.

I've put on the Ford multileaf springs and Sumo blue bumpstops and while I haven't tested any emergency type handling I haven't experienced anything that would cause me concern yet. I still would like to fine tune the front a little as I think the rear has a better range of control.

My only reservation about the Roadmasters is adding complexity to the rear suspension.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm no expert or super experienced person on this but after communicating with @Grumpaw I'd consider the Roadmaster independent rear suspension kit before the Hellwig. The costs are sort of in the same ballpark but I believe the Roadmasters are going to be safer in emergency maneuvers on an unladen truck.

I've put on the Ford multileaf springs and Sumo blue bumpstops and while I haven't tested any emergency type handling I haven't experienced anything that would cause me concern yet. I still would like to fine tune the front a little as I think the rear has a better range of control.

My only reservation about the Roadmasters is adding complexity to the rear suspension.
Thanks for the thought on the Roadmasters. I'll check it out.

Reactions: EJH

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
Was the decked setup worth the coin? I've been eyeing it mainly for pew storage while traveling to and from the farm
Sponsored