First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
That's why I was afraid to switch over to the newer version. I'm happy the way it is now so like the old saying goes "if it's not broke don't fix it". :D
It did fix that noise problem I had though
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Man I think my truck is night an day better with the 93 performance tune. I run the 87-89 tune in the winter an it's much better than stock too.
You run 87-89 on a 93 tune?

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
How long did it take for the tune to settle in? It's driving me nuts with the transmission relearning.
Not that long for me. I commuted in it every day when I added the tune an I liked to floor it to hear the tires chirp on the shifts so it got broke in fast.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You run 87-89 on a 93 tune?
No for winter I put the 87-89 tune in. My thinking is with slick roads an snow there's no need for the extra HP. This spring I'll put the 91-93 tune back in. You can feel the difference between the two but you can feel the difference between the stock tune on 93 an the performance tune on 87-89. Better performance an cheaper gas.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
No for winter I put the 87-89 tune in. My thinking is with slick roads an snow there's no need for the extra HP. This spring I'll put the 91-93 tune back in. You can feel the difference between the two but you can feel the difference between the stock tune on 93 an the performance tune on 87-89. Better performance an cheaper gas.
Honestly you could save yourself a bunch of headaches by installing the tow tune and simply switching octane as needed. Then you dont have to worry about the transmission relearn process either.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honestly you could save yourself a bunch of headaches by installing the tow tune and simply switching octane as needed. Then you dont have to worry about the transmission relearn process either.
Since I've retired I've been staying in more an only buying gas every 2 or 3 weeks instead of every week so I may just stick to the 91-93 tune. Another reason for the lower octane tune was to save that $.60 a gallon for a while until I see how things go on my retirement income. I'm using so much less gas not driving 30 miles a day for work it's not a factor.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Yes but I am curious about what level or error is built in. But if I were to do it I have 4 5 gallon jugs. Fill them up and store in garage and get a testing kit to insure I knew what mix level was needed. Only do it when I wanted to have some fun :p
Ethanol is not shelf stable though, and what you get out of the pump is in the E50-E90 range. Hence why they say you need to test it first. For me E30 tunes are for Dyno brags.

OP
OP
Jmarler

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
I've been driving with the performance soft tune 93 version 4 for awhile and it's doing extremely well. No harm in updating if you choose to do so.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've been driving with the performance soft tune 93 version 4 for awhile and it's doing extremely well. No harm in updating if you choose to do so.
Same experience here. Its been smooth sailing with V4.

OP
OP
Jmarler

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
How do I check what version of stock tune I have? Plan to return it to stock for 10k maintenance check and oil change.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If anything you just flash back is all but in my opinion I say just leave it unless you know it needs to get flasged for a check engine light issue or recall. Other then that you should be fine.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
One thing is for sure when I had the stock tune and you push the tow mode button you physically could not make it go onto 10th gear with no load on the truck. Pressing the + button it would stay at 9th.
Incorrect.

Unloaded, tow mode will shift into tenth at roughly 75mph.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Ethanol is not shelf stable though, and what you get out of the pump is in the E50-E90 range. Hence why they say you need to test it first. For me E30 tunes are for Dyno brags.
Its good for a certain period of time. Keeping moisture out is key.
Sponsored