Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
Just had the engine oil changed for the 4th time at local best Ford dealer in Phx. Got it home and immediately found it was leaking oil. Took a look and wiped out the small filter drain collector, thinking it may be residue from oil change. Continued to leak, actually was dripping off the front of the 45 degree cross member, which is directly behind the filter oil spout, called the dealership and they said- bring it right in, which I did. They look at and said there was NO leaking, to which I replied I know there is a oil leak. I thought MAYBE they replaced the filter, but would rather not tell me that- as any type of admission. The service advisor told me their top person in lube shop looked at it. Took it home and of course it continued to drip now on about 6 locations where I park, including my garage. Called service advisor back and was told again to bring, I said no thanks I will put a new filter on it my self, which I ordered on Amazon, and I had a very nice auto sizing filter tool, which worked great. Also while in there I got rid of the very annoying push pin keepers, I replaced them with new ones you can actually remove-without a small fight.
How can you possibly not look at the rubber when you install a filter. I use Ford service on this truck because of the extended warranty. Clearly the rubber washer was deformed during manufacturing of filter. Not very happy about this.

Ford oil filter 910.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Not so much deformed, just pulled out of place.
Be it before install or during install if put on dry (friction pulled it out) while rotating it tight.
I know, right? Does no one dip their finger in the drained oil and rub it around that gasket anymore? 🤷‍♂️

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Pretty pathetic that they didn't even look at it when you took it back in. Is it me or does that filter label look old?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Pretty pathetic that they didn't even look at it when you took it back in. Is it me or does that filter label look old?
Yes it does, Hmm old filter off - CRAP we are out of stock for a new filter, put the old one back on. 🤷‍♂️ , which may explain how to seal was pulled out of place, during removal.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
When I replace my air and cabin air filter, I take a Sharpie and write the install date right on the filter. I do this because I had a service advisor try to tell me that my air filter was bad. He showed me "My Filter" and how dirty it was. The issue - it wasn't my filter. I told the service advisor that was not my filter (I'm guessing they keep a dirty filter on hand because most customers would just agree to have it changed) because mine was just replaced and I had an install date on it. A few minutes later "Your filter was fine, I grabbed the wrong one from the service technician".

I was born yesterday, but it was early in the afternoon!!!

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Think they may have put the old filter back on????

Edit: I see where @airline tech already mentioned that. I should have read the entire thread before commenting.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Yep.... now have confirmation #94,472 that I am correct in being an anal retentive butthead about handling the oil changes of my vehicles in my driveway and/or garage. Cost more. Takes longer. Sometimes depending on the time of year it's a pain in the ass. But when it is done, it has been done correctly.

And my vehicles never fail to thank me. :rockon:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
When I got my Ranger (first new vehicle) I figured I would let the dealer service it just cause I had 4 freebies. The first time I found it was such a pita compared to doing it myself. Get a ride, drop it off, wait till tomorrow, get a ride again. All for something I could do myself in the garage in 20 minutes, and a better job at that. Sometimes it's hard to understand how incompetent people even survive.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Here is one out of the box that has been in my garage since September of 22. I know that because I bought 2 on Amazon, put them in the garage, then had to go buy one at autozone when I was changing my oil because I couldn't find them. A few months later, there they are. No yellowing from just sitting around.

20240310_082640.jpg

Last edited:

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
The old adage of "if you want something done right, do it yourself" rings true here! I've always changed my oil in every vehicle I've owned and after a few years of doing it in the Ranger, it takes like 20 minutes and I have peace of mind that its been done right and everything is where it should be. And I get to use better quality oil in the process.

Bummer to see this from a Ford dealership. But hopefully they use it as a learning lesson. Looks like a non-oiled gasket when it was put on and the gasket hung up while tightening.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Just had the engine oil changed for the 4th time at local best Ford dealer in Phx. Got it home and immediately found it was leaking oil. Took a look and wiped out the small filter drain collector, thinking it may be residue from oil change. Continued to leak, actually was dripping off the front of the 45 degree cross member, which is directly behind the filter oil spout, called the dealership and they said- bring it right in, which I did. They look at and said there was NO leaking, to which I replied I know there is a oil leak. I thought MAYBE they replaced the filter, but would rather not tell me that- as any type of admission. The service advisor told me their top person in lube shop looked at it. Took it home and of course it continued to drip now on about 6 locations where I park, including my garage. Called service advisor back and was told again to bring, I said no thanks I will put a new filter on it my self, which I ordered on Amazon, and I had a very nice auto sizing filter tool, which worked great. Also while in there I got rid of the very annoying push pin keepers, I replaced them with new ones you can actually remove-without a small fight.
How can you possibly not look at the rubber when you install a filter. I use Ford service on this truck because of the extended warranty. Clearly the rubber washer was deformed during manufacturing of filter. Not very happy about this.

Ford oil filter 910.jpg
That discoloration of the label is from heat exposure. They never changed the filter :(
I mark all my filters with a sharpie before taking them in for service ever since I had the same thing happen years ago. I mark my tires also so I know they actually rotate them. Been there done that merry-go-round with a service advisor also.

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I've had my Ford Dealer in Scottsdale, AZ (AutoNation Ford) do my Ranger oil changes for $90 and it has been great every time. They rotate tires too. If you schedule in advance, they do it while you wait, usually just over an hour. So now I don't have the hassle of ordering oil, ordering filter, jacking up the truck to remove left front tire for access, removing and replacing the plastic pins, removing and replacing skid plate, disposing of old oil, and the worst: cleaning up my mess and changing my now filthy clothes. I've heard of other people getting it done by the dealer for less than that. Sorry to hear of your dealer screw-up, but I think that is not the usual case.

OP
OP
ljames

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super