Letting the truck warm up before driving.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Illegal to let run more than 5 minutes unattended in Denver. And that’s only if you have remote start. There are a couple exceptions for really cold temps.

I believe the law was put into effect because of car thefts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
If you keep idling then global warming will occur sooner and then you wont have to endure cold weather. New York and LA will be under water. WIN, WIN.:crackup:

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I live is south Florida so warm up for cold days isn't an issue however, I warm it up just so I don't wake the neighborhood with the jet engine clutch fan noise. JESUS that damn thing is LOUD! Anyone walking thier dog stares.

Can I say Jesus and damn in the same sentence?

Reactions: Doc

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
with all the complaints on the fan, I'm going to patent a fan buster tool.

it will be a broom stick under the hood actuated by a rope.

simply yard the rope into the cabin with your left hand, the broomstick jams the fan quieting it completely. when away from sleeping neighbors...release the rope and the stick falls out of the way and voila. problem solved.

If you dont like my idea, thats fine, I'm not expecting this to take off like the tailgate damper. that crowd is passionate about their diddy. so much so, that i am sure their have been parking lot brawls over the merits.
HILARIOUS. I'll do it!

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
Illegal to let run more than 5 minutes unattended in Denver. And that’s only if you have remote start. There are a couple exceptions for really cold temps.

I believe the law was put into effect because of car thefts.
Do the cops wait there and time it?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
with all the complaints on the fan, I'm going to patent a fan buster tool.

it will be a broom stick under the hood actuated by a rope.

simply yard the rope into the cabin with your left hand, the broomstick jams the fan quieting it completely. when away from sleeping neighbors...release the rope and the stick falls out of the way and voila. problem solved.

If you dont like my idea, thats fine, I'm not expecting this to take off like the tailgate damper. that crowd is passionate about their diddy. so much so, that i am sure their have been parking lot brawls over the merits.
The fan can be managed by tuning the ECU. I got annoyed by it and asked 5star if they could do anything with it and they were able to change how it acts. When it first starts you will hear the fan for 10-15 seconds then it is silent.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The fan can be managed by tuning the ECU. I got annoyed by it and asked 5star if they could do anything with it and they were able to change how it acts. When it first starts you will hear the fan for 10-15 seconds then it is silent.
Hi Andy,

I would be reluctant to do this for those of us that are in high ambient temperatures in the Southwest without some sort of cooling validation. I fear you might have just kicked the can down the road until next summer...Hopefully not... Please keep us posted next summer for fan cooling function. How about you Forscan experts chiming on fan clutch tuning????

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Hi Andy,

I would be reluctant to do this for those of us that are in high ambient temperatures in the Southwest without some sort of cooling validation. I fear you might have just kicked the can down the road until next summer...Hopefully not... Please keep us posted next summer for fan cooling function. How about you Forscan experts chiming on fan clutch tuning????

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hey Phil,

The fans are only altered for engine temp. If the engine is 20 degrees the fan clutch can be zero percent rather than the stock percentage that has the clutch engaged at startup. The did this for me in July of last year and it didn't effect my operating temp fan control as I monitor cylinder head temp all the time with my Ngauge.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil,

The fans are only altered for engine temp. If the engine is 20 degrees the fan clutch can be zero percent rather than the stock percentage that has the clutch engaged at startup. The did this for me in July of last year and it didn't effect my operating temp fan control as I monitor cylinder head temp all the time with my Ngauge.
Hi Andy,

Sounds like a good way to go!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Reactions: Doc

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Seems obvious but has made a huge difference in the AM commute. No rough first shifts in the transmission and no fan roar. Always bothersome to feel the rear clunk in the first minutes of driving.

simple remedy. It bothers me. Cheers.
So , remote start ...or use Ford app to start up 5min + b4 you leave in AM ..morning cold starts only..fan roar?? It sound great at startup..never rough. New Rangers have ample & large cooling systems so I'm sure the fan is bit oversized . Notice it takes good few min driving get up to operating temps? I do. That's a great cooling system . Clunkiness. Noticed a few times during 1st 3k mis while all breaking in an transmission software learning ur habits etc This truck is Overengineered in many ways. Enjoy it. Best one out there by far! Hope ur running SN+ rated "full synthetic oil" w/good oil filter if u letting it idle alot.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
For those that live in cool or cold climates I think is is great that you can warm up your vehicles and warm up the inside so the truck is ready to go on cool/cold miserable days. This is done by remote starting the truck and letting it idle for several minutes. But, am I the only person that thinks how ironic it is that we can idle the truck for several minutes and yet we have the auto start stop to save a little gas when the truck stops for what, a minute or two on the way to work? I'm not sure I understand why we have to put up with the auto start stop while we can idle the truck to warm it up.
Exactly, and I think for that reason, remote start is illegal in Europe. (I'm not positive, if someone else has more info, please chime in!)
Sponsored