Keep your stock lug nuts, but change the color w/o paint (or PlastiDip!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Well give them a shot, if they start to chip and get rusty or the caps fall off, you can always replace them later.
Mike,
I re-checked the lugs and they are one piece. There was an indention between the two areas that at first looked like a seam or a gap. But will keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help :)
Sponsored

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
I have made EDITS- you can read in 1st post and above.
But y'all are right - DONT USE THESE!
I think I am going to get DP-Accessories Black Nuts, cant justify McGard at 2x the cost.
No worries man. Ultimately it’s your truck and you can do what you want with it. I’ll share my opinion, but never bash someone. I will however bash spiked lug and stance/squatted truck guys. Lol! I have to say, there are some spline kits out there that are the most dangerous lug nuts I’ve ever seen. A customer brought a eBay set in for us install on his Jeep… they were splitting in half at only 110 ftlbs. What?!

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
No worries man. Ultimately it’s your truck and you can do what you want with it. I’ll share my opinion, but never bash someone. I will however bash spiked lug and stance/squatted truck guys. Lol! I have to say, there are some spline kits out there that are the most dangerous lug nuts I’ve ever seen. A customer brought a eBay set in for us install on his Jeep… they were splitting in half at only 110 ftlbs. What?!
Cmon , spiked nuts would give it that Semi Truck look!?
I live in NC, don't get me started about the "Carolina Squat"!
But the state just made it illegal. Not sure if there is a safety concern, but it is quite visually offensive!!! Breaking my own rule - your truck, your taste! But that makes my teeth hurt!
CAROLINA-LEAN-OUTLAWED.jpg

Anyway, back to crappy nuts!
Wow that is definitely Chinese steel! At least they self destructed on install, better than on the highway. That's what I hate about ordering off Amazon you have no idea if the source/mtg is any good. I would prefer to keep the short style of the stock nuts, McGard, Gorilla and DP( the US brands I trust) only sell longer ones. Its only like~1/4 inch but will make them proud of the wheel. Ill see how it looks today.

How often do you see Ford swollen nuts? Trying to gauge how quickly this happens. I would assume a couple of years at least, but my trucks nuts looked fine and is right at 2yrs. As I am in the south we do use salt on the roads, but the frequency of ice and snow is low and doesn't stick around for long. So I would expect to see less of an issue here.

Last edited:

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
S
I live in NC, don't get ne started about the "Carolina Squat"!
But the state just made it illegal. Not sure if there is a safety concern, but it is quite visually offensive!!! Breaking my own rule - your truck, your taste! But that makes my teeth hurt!
CAROLINA-LEAN-OUTLAWED.jpg

Anyway, back to crappy nuts!
Wow that is definitely chinese steel! At least they self destructed on install, better than on the highway. That's what I hate about ordering off Amazon you have no idea if the source/mtg is any good. I would prefer to keep the short style of the stock nuts, McGard, Gorrlia and DP( the US brands I trust) only sell longer ones. Its only like~1/4 inch but will make them proud of the wheel. Ill see how it looks today.

How often do you see Ford swollen nuts? Trying to gauge hkw quickly this happens. I would assume a couple of years at least, but my trucks nuts looked fine and is right at 2yrs. As I am in the south we do use salt on tbe roads, but the frequency of ice and snow is low and doesn't stick around for long. So I would expect to see less of an issue here.
If you see a newer Ford vehicle going down the road over 6 months old. 95% chance it has swollen lug nuts! Almost every Ford we service has at least one. We try to be extra careful, but nothing saves them.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I live in NC, don't get ne started about the "Carolina Squat"!
I'd say it is a safety concern. Mainly because of the direction the headlights are pointing and the fact that driver's view can be blocked.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Mike,
I re-checked the lugs and they are one piece. There was an indention between the two areas that at first looked like a seam or a gap. But will keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help :)
Took one of these lugs to a Ford Dealer this morning and said they get numerous inquiries about lug nut issues. They had samples of defective ones that were damaged and effective ones that give no problems. They explained the differences. The mechanic said mine were good quality and depenable :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
I ordered those same exact ones and returned them. I posted pics on the forum and Phil pointed out that they were not 60 degree cone and left too much of the wheel exposed. Hopefully they are better now. Post pics when you get them on!
Here you go - a side by side. Definitely a 60 degree cone, but shorter, and no wider flange or lip. Whaddya all think - do they look ok to use?

D6E9FFC9-B3B3-4801-9B99-D20F50A5A0EC.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
As Phil mentioned earlier, there are other threads on here that get into detail of the proper nuts to use.

First and most important. They should be of forged steel. There are reasons for this but in short, produces stronger threads. Can’t strip out or shear under high stress. Second is cup size. We have 60 degree cone seats. The full surface of mag seat needs to be used. It’s another stress point and shear can happen from small diameter nut seats.

Gorilla is a safe bet and no one on here has had an issue with them. They have “bulge” nuts in chrome and black with two different hex sizes of choice.

This is not a place to cheap out.

Good luck with your nuts! ?

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
mines 2.5 years old....not one lug nut bulged.
nor on my 4 yr old 2015 F150 before that, or the 2012, or the 2010, the 2008 and the 2005, not even the two explorers, or the three Rangers before that.
So you get my point, since 1988, I have not experienced one bulged lug nut.

One of the videos I watched, a Ford mechanic (I assume) directly blamed worn out sockets and poorly sized lug wrenches as the culprit. They don't fit right, and they deform the cap and start the process.
Sure the lug design, makes this possible because of the two parts, but this opens up a fair argument that there's more to it
Do you usually rotate them yourself? I'm not trying to blame any mechanics or techs at dealerships or quick lanes, but I wonder if they are using metric sockets on imperial nuts/imperial sockets on metric nuts. And I assume the repeated use would speed up the process of those 2 pieces getting deformed.

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
nor on my 4 yr old 2015 F150 before that, or the 2012, or the 2010, the 2008 and the 2005, not even the two explorers, or the three Rangers before that.

One of the videos I watched, a Ford mechanic (I assume) directly blamed worn out sockets and poorly sized lug wrenches as the culprit. They don't fit right, and they deform the cap and start the process.
Sure the lug design, makes this possible because of the two parts, but this opens up a fair argument that there's more to it
Yeah Class action suites don't get dismissed for no reason.
I have 2 sets - same age ~2 yrs and all are pristine. So IF I decided to stay with stock, I know to check them AND clean them. If I see a bulge I have 24 spares. But my Black DPs arrive today, so we shall see.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Here you go - a side by side. Definitely a 60 degree cone, but shorter, and no wider flange or lip. Whaddya all think - do they look ok to use?

D6E9FFC9-B3B3-4801-9B99-D20F50A5A0EC.jpeg
Wondering the same thing. I've got a set that may get returned.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering the same thing. I've got a set that may get returned.
Yep..should be returned...not used.... JMO!

There is a lugnut back story nighmare somewhere on these forums....it was quite a mess.

Best,
Phil

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Mike,

Your stock lugnuts are two piece and subject to swelling over time to the point the lugwrench provided will not fit.... It is better to junk the stock lug nuts and purchase new. Do not know your definition of $$$ but Black lugnuts are very inexpensive on Amazon.... This topic has been covered over and over again....I recommend you use the search function to help you with your decision... It took me about a day or two with my new truck to broom the OEM lugnuts. Shame on Ford for continuing with these POS OEM lugnuts. Pay attention to the cone area as you need the larger cone area... This is discussed as well....

Best,
Phil
Shut it Phil with all your logic and reasoning. You're supposed to be retired, now git!

Voodoo Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4

As I guy that just replaced bulged lug nuts on my 2013 Fusion I can verify this is a known problem and widespread. I’m the original owner of the Fusion. The dealer told me to buy Dorman lug nuts and I did. I’m now looking to swap the lug nuts on my 2020 Ranger. Just because it hasn’t happened to you, yet, doesn’t mean it’s not a problem. Forget what you read here, call your local Ford service department and ask them. ?

Hard to believe Ford is still using these lug nuts.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.