Keep your stock lug nuts, but change the color w/o paint (or PlastiDip!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT - Ok I have cured my ignorance! Having not investigated Fords swollen lug-nuts(my bad). I now understand the risk! I assumed the cap was chromed steel, not ALUMINUM!!!! What Mechanical engineer worth his degree combines steel and aluminum in an corrosive environment is beyond me! So with that in mind adding a cap on top of these, plus add in a little salty water via capillary action, you have accelerated Ford Swollen Nut Syndrome - FSNS (this needs an emoji!).
Based on this I will not use these and will not recommend them.
I will leave the pictures for future readers

Having just switched to Magnetic wheels I was looking to change to black nuts. Before shelling out lots of $$ I decided to try Colorlugs a try. Basically a vinyl cap, I know, I know...
They recommended 1 inch long, which is way too big. I am sending those back and getting the 1/2 long version.
Some pics with and without - you get the idea, but also see that they stick out too far.
I will post new ones when the shorter version arrives, gotta luv Amazon free returns!
Oh and these do come in other colors besides black, for those so inclined....

1628727981931.png
1628728059378.png

1628728117301.png
1628728160251.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

Your stock lugnuts are two piece and subject to swelling over time to the point the lugwrench provided will not fit.... It is better to junk the stock lug nuts and purchase new. Do not know your definition of $$$ but Black lugnuts are very inexpensive on Amazon.... This topic has been covered over and over again....I recommend you use the search function to help you with your decision... It took me about a day or two with my new truck to broom the OEM lugnuts. Shame on Ford for continuing with these POS OEM lugnuts. Pay attention to the cone area as you need the larger cone area... This is discussed as well....

Best,
Phil

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
1000% do not advise this. This perhaps may be an even worse idea than painting them. Both are completely terrible plans. It baffles me people sell garbage like this.

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mike,

Your stock lugnuts are two piece and subject to swelling over time to the point the lugwrench provided will not fit.... It is better to junk the stock lug nuts and purchase new. Do not know your definition of $$$ but Black lugnuts are very inexpensive on Amazon.... This topic has been covered over and over again....I recommend you use the search function to help you with your decision... It took me about a day or two with my new truck to broom the OEM lugnuts. Shame on Ford for continuing with these POS OEM lugnuts. Pay attention to the cone area as you need the larger cone area... This is discussed as well....

Best,
Phil
Hey Phil
I actually did read some of those threads. The common theme seemed to be aftermarket lugs without enough diameter on the taper.
I have an extra set of lugs that came with the takeoffs I bought and considered painting them, but that's seems like a lost cause..
While looking into paint I came across these and figured I can see if I like the blacked out look without a lot of effort or money.
To be honest some of your posts made me wary of the aftermarket. Add to that Chinese steel...
Anyway if I like the look I will open my search back up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
1000% do not advise this. This perhaps may be an even worse idea than painting them. Both are completely terrible plans. It baffles me people sell garbage like this.
Hmmm why so?
It's has no impact on the ability of the lugnut to hold the wheel on. It's easily removed, with the tool the supply. You might argue wheel balance, but mass is next to nothing and if it was it's so close to the center of rotation it would be minimal.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil
I actually did read some of those threads. The common theme seemed to be aftermarket lugs without enough diameter on the taper.
I have an extra set of lugs that came with the takeoffs I bought and considered painting them, but that's seems like a lost cause..
While looking into paint I acme across these and figured I can see if I like the blacked out look without a lot of effort or money.
To be honest some of your posts made me wary of the aftermarket. Add to that Chinese steel...
Anyway if I like the look I will open my search back up.
Hi Mike,

You might consider these including the 4 pack on top of the 20...
https://www.amazon.com/White-Knight...733169&sprefix=black+lug+nuts+,aps,242&sr=8-3

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
micl9

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase

Ranger54

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Service advisor
Hmmm why so?
It's has no impact on the ability of the lugnut to hold the wheel on. It's easily removed, with the tool the supply. You might argue wheel balance, but mass is next to nothing and if it was it's so close to the center of rotation it would be minimal.
Because anything that could cause an issue with getting the lug nuts off when having a roadside emergency is just dumb. The brake heat cycles will change those stickers consistency as well. Just get black lug nuts. Ford’s have enough issues getting the OEM lug nuts off when they swell. Putting stickers on them? It will be worse. A tow for sure costs more than a set of lug nuts… Out of 1,000’s of cars we service at work yearly, I haven’t one person do this. Even the squatted truck kids don’t. Lol.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hmmm why so?
I quess it's having to carry another special tool, 6 more pieces to deal with and keep track of when changing a tire, when $26 solves the problem and gets rid of the crappy two piece OEM nuts.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,
Did you use these when you replaced yours?
Thanks,
Sammy
Hi Sammy,

In the chrome version as I have the Chrome Package on my Ranger....Black was out of place. At the time I had to order 20 and beg the seller for 4 more...now they have added the 4 more option...Smart seller....

Best,
Phil

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Hi Sammy,

In the chrome version as I have the Chrome Package on my Ranger....Black was out of place. At the time I had to order 20 and beg the seller for 4 more...now they have added the 4 more option...Smart seller....

Best,
Phil
The reviews on these lugnuts are awful; have you had any issues with yours?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The reviews on these lugnuts are awful; have you had any issues with yours?
Hi Phil,

For me...no problem. I did have a problem with the Nautilus which I switched to black but another seller....The black started flaking off as I was installing them....Now my experience was almost 2½ years ago on the Ranger and over a year and half with the Nautilus. Sent the Nautilus lugnuts back and went to a different seller of a less attractive design but wife liked them.

best,
Phil

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Maybe they look better in person, but IMO the stuck lugs look better than black on the magnetic wheel. That mod wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.