First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Last oil change I put a Motorcraft FL-400S on since Wally Mart was out of the FL-910S. I'd read earlier that it fits. It's obviously slightly longer and depending where you read, it filters a higher percentage of smaller particles and takes a higher pressure to go into bypass.
My take is that Ford spec'd the 910 just for economies of scale. The 910 came out originally for the Focus and Fiesta, my daughter has one, and the 400 would hang too low and could hit a curb. Where the Ranger's filter is, it won't matter and the longer 400 is probably easier to reach.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
LOL one great reason they used the 910S is because it already existed, not because it was particularly apt to the bizarre procedure to change it on a Ranger. If it's over tightened it's a PITA to get off at arms length with no room to get a conventional filter wrench in there. 10k interval and this factor make the K&N HP-1002 a really nice choice on the Ranger.
Since I'm sure you never opend up a oil filter vefore you might want to take the time to do so. It will show you quite a bit that you dont realize. As for a better explanation @P. A. Schilke can help with that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Since I'm sure you never opend up a oil filter vefore you might want to take the time to do so. It will show you quite a bit that you dont realize. As for a better explanation @P. A. Schilke can help with that.
Hi Chris,

I am not really versed in K&N Oil Filters...air filters yes I would never recommend using a K&N Air Filter unless you plan to change it like most folks change underwear... I stick with Motorcraft because they are the filters which we used for all our testing. They are designed to do their job superbly.
As for others, in a pinch I would use Wix and never would I use Fram (pay me now or pay me later) as they are no longer a good filter in my opinion. I read analysis of tear down of filters but it is performance of the filter, not number of pleats. It is about how many grams of junk they can hold before the oil filter bypasses when it gets plugged up... I have never experienced a plugged up oil filter by the way...

best,
Phil

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Oil discussions are so dang funny. "I would never use any other brand than X," Well why? Cause you've used that brand and your motor didn't blow up? "Well...my motor sounds better with brand X" No it doesn't. If that's true, then you have a serious issue.

With that said, only Idiots don't exclusively use Mobile 1...

?

OrlandoJay23

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Occupation
GC
Small correction. Ford certified the Ranger to go "upto" 10,000 miles on a single oil change depending on conditions. There is an oil life monotor that will inform you of the life fairly accurately for that. That said even I say its vest to stick with 5,000 mile intervals.

Yes sir I definitely concur with your assessment on that situation I don’t know who would want to go 10,000 miles without an oil change. I definitely need to change mine every 3 to 5000 personally lol it’s crazy isn’t it

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, the 3K oil change interval was something that was invented by Jiffy Lube and the like to increase business. Back in the 60s recommended oil change intervals were much higher than 3K. I have a 68 Plymouth Barracuda and the oil change interval in the owners manual is 6K miles. Oil these days are vastly superior to what was available in the 60s, it is very reasonable that oil change intervals have been pushed out to 10k or more.

I started working part time at a local service station while in high school in the late 60s. Back then the oil filter was changed every other oil change. Owners manual would even list how much oil was required for a change with and without a filter change.

I have read a lot of oil tests where the synthetics available these days are fully capable to protecting your engine out to 20k miles or more. Back in the 80s a friend of mine overdosed on Amsoil cool-aid and decided to prove how good it was with his new Dodge Daytona Turbo. He installed a second oil filter in parallel with the factory filter that was a bypass filter (only a portion of the oil would be routed through the second filter) and had a 5 micron rating instead of the 25 micron rating of a standard automotive filter. His plan was to never change the oil and only top it off. He changed the 25 micron filter on 10k intervals and the 5k micron filter on 20k. Intervals. With each filter change he sent a sample out for analysis. His plan was to continue on until the analysis said the oil was used up. This went on for several years until he moved away for work. I lost touch with him but when he moved away the car had 125K miles on his Daytona.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I changed my oil yesterday. I do it a 5000 miles because it is easy for me to remember. And, that's what we did on our vehicles at work. Never really paid attention until yesterday, but I actually looked at oil life left when I reset the monitor. It showed 54% remaining.