First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
well after 3 months i can say i have some pros and cons... and a concern... overall i find my ranger very comfortable and drives very well.. sometimes fun with its quickness. overall very pleased.....fun driving
i drive it quite normal or more on easy side and mileage isnt very good.... around 19.5 local driving is what i get. would of thought closer to 21... i can live with it. other issues i dont like are my truck is 3/4 inch higher in rear on one side than the other.. it just bugs me, lol. and dont say gas tank.. 90% of vehicles have tank on one side and they dont lean or sit crooked when parked....and last armrests...lol my arm doesnt even reach it to use...worthless.
ok and concerns are ford quality or even caring to back their product...... skimping etc... like no motor cover, leather seats only go down sides about 1.5 inches then cloth, short 2 attach points in bed, 10 holes on each rocker panel unplugged.. hood overlaps a little on both sides of front fender, tailgate needed alignment and the 3/4 inch height difference. when i went to ford, they basically blew it all off and said, well until ford tells us they will pay us to look at some of these issues we arent doing anything. one would think ford would address some of these issues because i have seen many similar issues posted so this isnt new to ford and it seems they dont care. and to those in my opinion that say ridiculous statements like it should be expected... bullcrap... its cutting corners, poor craftmanship and inspector quality failing... 40 grand is 40 grand.. and i expect better workmanship. to me ford doesnt take any pride in their vehicles.. its just a sales game..... big concern
Sponsored

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
well until ford tells us they will pay us to look at some of these issues we arent doing anything

thats the key right there
you bought a product. its yours now.
you bought it with some shortcomings, that were not put upon you maliciously. you should have done your research and due diligence. by accepting the vehicle at delivery, you took on all those issues as your own.
why should Ford be responsible ? why should the dealer? you said nothing on delivery day.
you own it now, want those extras you think you were ripped off on....or things you want fixed....buy them, pay an independent shop to fix what you dont like.
agree some and disagree more.. generally when buying a new vehicle, buyers assume all is good because its new and if it has issues, being new it will be resolved.. because thats how it should be. some things i didnt notice or even were aware of, like the 3/4 lean. some issues i saw and because it was bought early evening and 2 hours from my home.. they said take it to any dealer and they will take care of it... ...i sell products as well and if something is found wrong, it gets fixed, no questions asked, because they stand behind their product.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However keep in mind Ford is not the only one. Most manufactures are skimping on things. I've had a lot of vehicles in my lifetime, I like to trade in often (this vehicle is one I actually plan on keeping long term, that should say something). So I have experiences with a lot of manufactures. Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Dodge, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota. They've all had their issues. I can list multiple things with literally each of those cars I've owned. For instance, my Honda Accord which was a 2019 had rattles like crazy in the interior. My Nissan Frontier had a rear window leak, every time I went through the carwash, water would come in through the rear window. My Silverado, my first one had the famous "chevy shake" which was never fixed. My second one, within the first 2 months of ownership, needed new front axle, new tailgate actuator, bed was misaligned, radio stopped working, rear camera stopped working, and more. My wife's Hyundai needed a new infotainment system within a year of ownership. My 4runner had front end issues, multiple dealership visits. I can go on. My Ranger so far, thank God has not had a single issue, but I only have 3K miles on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. However keep in mind Ford is not the only one. Most manufactures are skimping on things. I've had a lot of vehicles in my lifetime, I like to trade in often (this vehicle is one I actually plan on keeping long term, that should say something). So I have experiences with a lot of manufactures. Ford, Chevy, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Dodge, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota. They've all had their issues. I can list multiple things with literally each of those cars I've owned. For instance, my Honda Accord which was a 2019 had rattles like crazy in the interior. My Nissan Frontier had a rear window leak, every time I went through the carwash, water would come in through the rear window. My Silverado, my first one had the famous "chevy shake" which was never fixed. My second one, within the first 2 months of ownership, needed new front axle, new tailgate actuator, bed was misaligned, radio stopped working, rear camera stopped working, and more. My wife's Hyundai needed a new infotainment system within a year of ownership. My 4runner had front end issues, multiple dealership visits. I can go on. My Ranger so far, thank God has not had a single issue, but I only have 3K miles on it.
totally agree..... i had a ram prior, awesome truck, dealership was good and addressed things if and when needed.. they backed their product... my experience with ford so far has been the opposite... i worked at a couple dealerships way back, i understand warranty work sucks because the dealer gets payed a good bit less to fix something as opposed to if it was a regular repair.. the dealer makes more doing non warranty work than warranty work, so they dont want to do it in the first place..

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
totally agree..... i had a ram prior, awesome truck, dealership was good and addressed things if and when needed.. they backed their product... my experience with ford so far has been the opposite... i worked at a couple dealerships way back, i understand warranty work sucks because the dealer gets payed a good bit less to fix something as opposed to if it was a regular repair.. the dealer makes more doing non warranty work than warranty work, so they dont want to do it in the first place..
From my experience, Chevy was the worse. They don't stand behind their products at all. Getting them do to anything is a disaster. Will never own another GM product again. I had a 2013 Edge years ago, and I had a few issues with it and Ford was awesome at taking care of my issues then. Hopefully, my experience will be the same with Ford if my ranger has issues in the future. We shall see. As it is, I have very little faith in dealerships anyways so I always go in with very low expectations.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
From my experience, Chevy was the worse. They don't stand behind their products at all. Getting them do to anything is a disaster. Will never own another GM product again. I had a 2013 Edge years ago, and I had a few issues with it and Ford was awesome at taking care of my issues then. Hopefully, my experience will be the same with Ford if my ranger has issues in the future. We shall see. As it is, I have very little faith in dealerships anyways so I always go in with very low expectations.
i know a lot can depend on a dealership as well.. i am sure there are good ones and bad ones

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Until car manufacturers stop getting bailedout, they probably wont car too much about ‘quality’ this isnt ford specific -imo
Both car companies and airlines should have been allowed to sink and bottom out. Let new players step into the game.

This whole "too big to fail" line is the biggest load of crap ever.

You can add the USPS sto that list of entities that should have cratered a while ago, but gets propped up by tax payers.

Innovation, good customer service, quality products - none of these things happen with any regularity when companies are given a blank check by the .gov

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
You can add the USPS sto that list of entities that should have cratered a while ago, but gets propped up by tax payers.
I don't entirely agree. The USPS was forced by congress to fully fund their retirement fund out xyz years up front. I won't pretend to know the details, but I do know it put them in a hell of a bind. And then everyone (almost everyone) stopped using mail for bills and such. I haven't mailed a letter in years. They certainly need to reinvent themselves, but it's not entirely the fault of the PO.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I don't entirely agree. The USPS was forced by congress to fully fund their retirement fund out xyz years up front. I won't pretend to know the details, but I do know it put them in a hell of a bind. And then everyone (almost everyone) stopped using mail for bills and such. I haven't mailed a letter in years. They certainly need to reinvent themselves, but it's not entirely the fault of the PO.
Not sure this changes anything.

Allow mail to go to the private sector. It started that way after all.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Both car companies and airlines should have been allowed to sink and bottom out. Let new players step into the game.

This whole "too big to fail" line is the biggest load of crap ever.

Innovation, good customer service, quality products - none of these things happen with any regularity when companies are given a blank check by the .gov
I agree 1000%. Too big to fail is such a ironic statement for this country. I wont get into politics and will just leave it at that.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
When doing my due diligence, I noticed that most midsize trucks have little shortcomings. I believe it's done to ensure pricing that is both competitive and low enough so that prices don't creep to near or overlap with their full-size trucks. Every corner I've seen cut on my Lariat, i.e. the things you've already mentioned and also no power sliding rear window, no full power/memory seats, were the many little things Ford did to accomplish the pricing goal. Suppose they took the route of small omissions rather than larger ones which makes the truck mostly acceptable to most people. Take a look and you'll see other manufacturers do this as well and possibly why RAM has chosen to stay out of the midsize game, up until now anyway.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 1000%. Too big to fail is such a ironic statement for this country. I wont get into politics and will just leave it at that.
Its simple for me, the only involvement the government should have in private business is when a crime occurs.

I don't even think the government should be able to regulate products. If a product turns out to be harmful then let the private sector bankrupt them through lawsuits. This would also force retailers (online or brick) to actually be more vigilant for crap products.

Do people have any idea how much less products would cost us if big brother government (and their demented little brother California) wasn't dictating how something was built, what redundant "safety" features have to be built in?

I remember when gas cans for my lawn mower poured like they were suppose to. You can thank government for the garbage dispensers on them now.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
$40k is a lot of money, but the simple fact is that the Ranger is what $40k’ish buys you in the mid-size truck world. It’s priced comparably to all of its competition and is on par with all competitors in terms of quality, features, performance, etc. So, to say you’re expecting more for the money is not fair. If you‘re expecting a lot more you can spend as much as you want on a full size, which isn‘t constrained by a mid-size pricing model. As for service, try another dealer.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
$40k is a lot of money, but the simple fact is that the Ranger is what $40k’ish buys you in the mid-size truck world. It’s priced comparably to all of its competition and is on par with all competitors in terms of quality, features, performance, etc. So, to say you’re expecting more for the money is not fair. If you‘re expecting a lot more you can spend as much as you want on a full size, which isn‘t constrained by a mid-size pricing model. As for service, try another dealer.
not expecting more.....expecting some decent workmanship and quality....stand behind your product, price is not relevant...... when you buy a plane do you expect it to have issues? tv? appliance.... no
Sponsored