Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
@Floyd

Please explain your voodoo driving.
So far, since December 2020, I've been doing 12l/100km, 19.5 mpg.
This is calculated by hand. Lately @ 5 k miles, I'm a little better doing 11.5l, 20.5mpg
I realize our trucks are all different as some have issues with rising oil, mine
does not, maybe I just got a guzzler?
Many claim to get 24/26 mpg & many see what I've been getting.
I doubt I'll ever see 23 mpg local, maybe on a day drive which I've yet to do.
When I go for the first checkup I'll ask the tech, maybe reload the software
would help?
& yes, I'm easy on gas, use cruise..... I really want a PHEV Ranger...
I was like you. Couldn’t understand some of the mileage people were posting but after 7000km and taking some trips up North from Mississauga to Haliburton I have seen 9L/100km. The secondary highways is where you can get that king of mileage. I got 750km out of a tank this week. Driving 120km/h on the 401 Is not great for fuel economy.
Sponsored

Turbo Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Sales
I am getting 9.5-10L/100km highway and 11-12 city, so I am happy plus this is a Tremor so there are a few factors that handicap things in terms of tires and level

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
@Floyd

Please explain your voodoo driving.
So far, since December 2020, I've been doing 12l/100km, 19.5 mpg.
This is calculated by hand. Lately @ 5 k miles, I'm a little better doing 11.5l, 20.5mpg
I realize our trucks are all different as some have issues with rising oil, mine
does not, maybe I just got a guzzler?
Many claim to get 24/26 mpg & many see what I've been getting.
I doubt I'll ever see 23 mpg local, maybe on a day drive which I've yet to do.
When I go for the first checkup I'll ask the tech, maybe reload the software
would help?
& yes, I'm easy on gas, use cruise..... I really want a PHEV Ranger...
Well, you must start by making a realistic stuffed cloth replica (in the correct color) of your specific truck. Your replica must include a working tailgate dampener!
Then go to an antique store and purchase a bundle of 8" pure silver hat pins.
You'll need one for each MPG you wish to attain....
Then there's the incantations.... that's the hard part! :rockon: ;)

See example below...

1627658227352.png

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I have a copy of that Constitution here at my desk...
Where's that "education for all children" clause :question: :giggle:
Let me back up a step. My constitutional study began and ended in about ninth grade. A little cursory Googling does indeed indicate there is no specific clause guaranteeing education, only that the opportunity for education cannot be denied to any citizen (14th amendment- equal protection.)
I thank you for getting me to do a little further digging.

BTW back to topic: after 3 months I am still enjoying my Ranger!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Liters per 100km, or l/100km is rather awkward for us US'ns.
9 l/100km = 31.39 miles per gallon (mpg)
Pretty impressive either side of the boarder.

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Liters per 100km, or l/100km is rather awkward for us US'ns.
9 l/100km = 31.39 miles per gallon (mpg)
Pretty impressive either side of the boarder.
… and 1 Imperial gallon (Canadian) is 1.2 U.S. gallon ?

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I've had many different vehicles from different manufacturers and am a particularly picky person in that I'd notice every single flaw in a vehicle and they'd dig at me. I can relate to how Chuck feels because I've been there. You feel like you got the "bad" one of the batch.

But once you learn to accept that every vehicle is going to have its quirks and that yours isn't special in that regard, you just sort of look past it. Once you're at that point, ownership is a lot more fun. (I think we can all agree that it hurts when a dealership blows you off though! I hate that).

I'm not suggesting that we should all accept mediocre quality, but instead, just trying to add perspective. It's almost guaranteed that if you got any other vehicle, Tacoma, Colorado, whatever, you'd find at least a half dozen different things about it that you don't like if you look closely.

Anyways, thank you for sharing your experience so far, Chuck. Hopefully over time the good times will begin to outshine the negatives even more.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I've had many different vehicles from different manufacturers and am a particularly picky person in that I'd notice every single flaw in a vehicle and they'd dig at me. I can relate to how Chuck feels because I've been there. You feel like you got the "bad" one of the batch.

But once you learn to accept that every vehicle is going to have its quirks and that yours isn't special in that regard, you just sort of look past it. Once you're at that point, ownership is a lot more fun. (I think we can all agree that it hurts when a dealership blows you off though! I hate that).

I'm not suggesting that we should all accept mediocre quality, but instead, just trying to add perspective. It's almost guaranteed that if you got any other vehicle, Tacoma, Colorado, whatever, you'd find at least a half dozen different things about it that you don't like if you look closely.

Anyways, thank you for sharing your experience so far, Chuck. Hopefully over time the good times will begin to outshine the negatives even more.
Well said.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
well after 3 months i can say i have some pros and cons... and a concern... overall i find my ranger very comfortable and drives very well.. sometimes fun with its quickness. overall very pleased.....fun driving
i drive it quite normal or more on easy side and mileage isnt very good.... around 19.5 local driving is what i get. would of thought closer to 21... i can live with it. other issues i dont like are my truck is 3/4 inch higher in rear on one side than the other.. it just bugs me, lol. and dont say gas tank.. 90% of vehicles have tank on one side and they dont lean or sit crooked when parked....and last armrests...lol my arm doesnt even reach it to use...worthless.
ok and concerns are ford quality or even caring to back their product...... skimping etc... like no motor cover, leather seats only go down sides about 1.5 inches then cloth, short 2 attach points in bed, 10 holes on each rocker panel unplugged.. hood overlaps a little on both sides of front fender, tailgate needed alignment and the 3/4 inch height difference. when i went to ford, they basically blew it all off and said, well until ford tells us they will pay us to look at some of these issues we arent doing anything. one would think ford would address some of these issues because i have seen many similar issues posted so this isnt new to ford and it seems they dont care. and to those in my opinion that say ridiculous statements like it should be expected... bullcrap... its cutting corners, poor craftmanship and inspector quality failing... 40 grand is 40 grand.. and i expect better workmanship. to me ford doesnt take any pride in their vehicles.. its just a sales game..... big concern
This sounds like a dealership issue to me. I would try another dealer or two before actually calling Ford. VW has excellent customer service, bought back a car without hassle over a keyless issue the dealer couldnt fix. My mother on the other hand is having a nightmare with Subaru on a paid off vehicle with a good will engine replacement at 46k miles I think it is.

Hopefully the Ford customer service recognizes the uneven stance as an issue. I would call that a safety concern, they should find the issue. Even if they chalk it up to "abuse" or not, they should find it. As long as all things are straight, it should just be a leaf spring issue. That, or take it in your hands and upgrade to an aftermarket multi-leaf and enjoy a better ride.

Good luck!

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
totally agree..... i had a ram prior, awesome truck, dealership was good and addressed things if and when needed.. they backed their product... my experience with ford so far has been the opposite... i worked at a couple dealerships way back, i understand warranty work sucks because the dealer gets payed a good bit less to fix something as opposed to if it was a regular repair.. the dealer makes more doing non warranty work than warranty work, so they dont want to do it in the first place..
Perhaps Ford is not the issue, but rather the Ford dealer. I've read many posts on this forum that make it clear some dealers do go out of their way to make things right, and others not so much.

I would try taking it to a different dealership and see how they treat you and your truck. Sometimes a dealer may look down on you if you didn't buy it there since many dealers are in the same owner group or buddy buddy with other dealers. I would research dealer reviews and get a feel for how ethical and supportive one might be before you choose the next one.

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When doing my due diligence, I noticed that most midsize trucks have little shortcomings. I believe it's done to ensure pricing that is both competitive and low enough so that prices don't creep to near or overlap with their full-size trucks. Every corner I've seen cut on my Lariat, i.e. the things you've already mentioned and also no power sliding rear window, no full power/memory seats, were the many little things Ford did to accomplish the pricing goal. Suppose they took the route of small omissions rather than larger ones which makes the truck mostly acceptable to most people. Take a look and you'll see other manufacturers do this as well and possibly why RAM has chosen to stay out of the midsize game, up until now anyway.
I'm not sure that pricing strategy is correct, or if that's what they are doing. I could have bought an F-150 for what I paid for my 2019 Ranger Lariat. Having a full-size was not even a consideration for me personally. I would have paid more for the Ranger had there been a trim level above the Lariat that had the options you noted (*real* leather seats would have been my first choice). Since I bought mine in 2019, they have introduced a lot of new Ranger trim levels, I've heard some hit the 70K range!

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Its simple for me, the only involvement the government should have in private business is when a crime occurs.

I don't even think the government should be able to regulate products. If a product turns out to be harmful then let the private sector bankrupt them through lawsuits. This would also force retailers (online or brick) to actually be more vigilant for crap products.

Do people have any idea how much less products would cost us if big brother government (and their demented little brother California) wasn't dictating how something was built, what redundant "safety" features have to be built in?

I remember when gas cans for my lawn mower poured like they were suppose to. You can thank government for the garbage dispensers on them now.
Dude, have a beer ? or two. We still live in the best country in the world! I do agree about the gas cans though

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
I'm not sure that pricing strategy is correct, or if that's what they are doing. I could have bought an F-150 for what I paid for my 2019 Ranger Lariat. Having a full-size was not even a consideration for me personally. I would have paid more for the Ranger had there been a trim level above the Lariat that had the options you noted (*real* leather seats would have been my first choice). Since I bought mine in 2019, they have introduced a lot of new Ranger trim levels, I've heard some hit the 70K range!
Sure you could’ve bought an F-150 but not on a trim for trim level. Take look at your Lariat vs the Lariat F-150 to get a sense of what I’m saying. I’ve seen some of the trims you’re talking about and when the price exceeds $50k, it’s just too much in my mind.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion chrome doesn't go with anything. I'm assuming (and could be completely wrong) at some point it was viewed as a luxury add-on. Probably around the same era when V8's only produced 200hp. Yes, I pulled that theory out my ass, but it sounds pretty accurate right?
Chrome was more popular when design and esthetics were very different. Aerodynamics hadn't yet refined all 'personality' out of car body shapes. Swoopy flowing fenders, large scoops, curves and fins all look great with chrome accents and other aero and space-y design elements.

Chrome is a functionally great material for use on exposed elements like bumpers and door handles, because it is very hard, so it is not easily scratched, plus it doesn't rust from exposure to the elements, so it stays great looking with an occasional polish. Look at cars from the late 1920s through the late 60s for some great examples of how it looks good, and serves a functional purpose also.

The 70s brought us the nanny state, with 5 mph bumpers and a lot of other crash safety items. Aerodynamics was applied to automotive body design, and we found that all those fins and rocket cones, scoops, etc, were not really all that aerodynamic, and they were heavy. Fuel crisis came along in the 70s also and heavy stuff came off to save fuel, so the cars came to look pretty flimsy, awkward and clumsy, and the chrome became vestigial strips here and there to try to remind us of great looking designs of the past, with some success, but a great deal more failures. The skinny little 3/4" wide tacked-on accent strips don't have the impact of a 3-dimensional rocket scoop 12 inches wide set at a rakish angle with a 2 inch wide aerospike swooping down the entire side of the car. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but NOBODY does anything like it now.

Modern chrome is an embarassment, which is why almost nobody wants it. If they try to design any if the kinds of things chrome was good at, the aero people will design it out. People are blacking it out, removing it altogether, or just living with it. Just a different esthetic. Most all individuality nowadays is in the grille and lighting, because body shapes are just flat curves, with shallow angles and maybe some subtle ridges. There is no design element for the chrome to accent, except for vestigial flat strips around the windows, and that 'usually' just looks tacked on and actually detracts from the appearance of the car.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes things you perceive as a negative actually serve a purpose.

Look at many/most 10 year old trucks with leather seats and you'll see at a minimum cracking, if not tearing, right there where the seat meets the trim.

The addition of other material there flexes better and wears less.

I, for one, appreciated that forethought.
I used to think leather seats = luxury. Until I owned a few. Then I found out that in most cases, it 'isn't' actual leather, but either a polyurethane 'simulated leather' or at minimum it's coated with a plasticky topcoat that feels just like a vinyl seat. I never sat in a real top grain or full grain leather seat. I think you have to spend 6 digit numbers to get something like that, and even then, it would probably be a bad idea, just from a maintenance standpoint. Real leather requires special care, especially if you are in warmer climates, and sweat all over it. Nope... Cloth seats for this kid.
Sponsored