(Ford Ranger + 5 Star tune) > (Dodge Durango R/T + Hemi)

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
A Durango R/T tailgated me a couple of feet off my bumper in heavy traffic for so mile or so. After the traffic cleared I demonstrated (twice), that even if I wasn't in his way...............he could not go around me if I didn't want him to.

Hopefully he went home and took those silly racing stripes off of his wagon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SICKQK

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've had that before with soccer moms in their minivans.
thing is the roles were reversed, and unless i had warp speed, it was irrelevant because there just wasn't enough room to get around them safely as they tried to show me how fast they were even though i had a lot more stones to throw than they did.
you just gotta know what battles you can win without wiping out other innocent drivers on the road.
he may have realised that he could dump you down the kitchen sink, but it wasn't worth risking someone else.
Lets go to the Durango Forums and see the conversation there....
? Ok. I'll leave the minivan racing to you. LOL

Post up next time you have a good one! ?

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
So.... I came up on a McLaren at a traffic light, a couple of days ago. It was just the two of us, with a straight stretch ahead. When the light turned green, he beat me off the line, but I had dropped it into "S" (for SuperFast) and punched it. I pulled even on him and then slowly began to pass him, finally gapping him before the next light. It was a hell of a race. Thank God he didn't know we were racing, or it might have been embarrassing.

OP
OP
SICKQK

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So.... I came up on a McLaren at a traffic light, a couple of days ago. It was just the two of us, with a straight stretch ahead. When the light turned green, he beat me off the line, but I had dropped it into "S" (for SuperFast) and punched it. I pulled even on him and then slowly began to pass him, finally gapping him before the next light. It was a hell of a race. Thank God he didn't know we were racing, or it might have been embarrassing.
:crackup:

LOL.........OK oK, I see I drew all the comedians out with my post.

You do know that my Ranger (any Ranger with a tune) IS faster than a Dodge Durango RT Hemi right?

Do your research!

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
:crackup:

LOL.........OK oK, I see a drew all the comedians out with my post.

You do know that my Ranger (any Ranger with a tune) IS faster than a Dodge Durango RT Hemi right?

Do your research!
The research I have done is both vehicles are mid 6 to 7 second 0 to 60 vehicles and high 14 to low 15 second 1/4 mile vehicles. In a street race the winner is going to be whomever is willing to take more risk.

When you start talking about modified vehicles all bets are off and it is no longer a fair comparison. Just keep in mind the next time you run across a Durango R/T he may have a cam and a set of headers and you will see nothing but tail lights.

By today's standards the Ranger by no streach of the imagination is a fast vehicle, even with a tune.

OP
OP
SICKQK

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The research I have done is both vehicles are mid 6 to 7 second 0 to 60 vehicles and high 14 to low 15 second 1/4 mile vehicles. In a street race the winner is going to be whomever is willing to take more risk.

When you start talking about modified vehicles all bets are off and it is no longer a fair comparison. Just keep in mind the next time you run across a Durango R/T he may have a cam and a set of headers and you will see nothing but tail lights.

By today's standards the Ranger by no streach of the imagination is a fast vehicle, even with a tune.

Exactly right.

Has to be an apples to apples comparison.

A stock Ranger would give that Durango in stock form a run for it's money.

A tune is a big advantage in a boosted vehicle obviously, and is an inexpensive mod as compared to building an NA engine.

My F-150 with a tune regularly beat of stock-ish Mustang GT's and other pretty quick cars in the 1/4 mile.

IcemanSTX

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
A Durango R/T tailgated me a couple of feet off my bumper in heavy traffic for so mile or so. After the traffic cleared I demonstrated (twice), that even if I wasn't in his way...............he could not go around me if I didn't want him to.

Hopefully he went home and took those silly racing stripes off of his wagon.
Most of the cars I've owned have been 4 banger turbos and they always get overlooked. Zero to 60 and 1/4 mile times are pretty meaningless in this situation. 30-60 or 60-90 times are more relevant. When you are tuned (not sure what other mods you have) and in boost I bet your ranger pulls harder than the Durango at least until you hit a certain top speed. A 4 cylinder turbo with the same HP/TQ as a V8 is almost always "faster/quicker" and is even sometimes quicker with less power.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

It’s faster than my 14.2 quarter mile 69 SS 396/375 hp chevelle.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Most of the cars I've owned have been 4 banger turbos and they always get overlooked. Zero to 60 and 1/4 mile times are pretty meaningless in this situation. 30-60 or 60-90 times are more relevant. When you are tuned (not sure what other mods you have) and in boost I bet your ranger pulls harder than the Durango at least until you hit a certain top speed. A 4 cylinder turbo with the same HP/TQ as a V8 is almost always "faster/quicker" and is even sometimes quicker with less power.
I have been driving 4cyl turbos continuously since 1985 as my daily driver's. They are the perfect combination of power and economy. I would agree that down low in the rpm range a turbo 4 can pull some v8s but then the V8 will go roaring by. I have been driving 2.3 Ecoboost Mustangs for the past 6 years and understand the power characteristics of the 2.3 Ecoboost quite well. There are plenty of videos showing Ecoboost Mustangs getting about a car length jump on a 5.0 Mustang before the Mustang roars on by.

In the case of a Ranger and a Durango the weight is within a couple hundred pounds of each other but the 5.7 I'm the Durango has a 90 HP and 60 ft-lbs advantage. I would venture a guess that the Durango's gearing is what is keeping a race between the two close.

OP
OP
SICKQK

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have been driving 4cyl turbos continuously since 1985 as my daily driver's. They are the perfect combination of power and economy. I would agree that down low in the rpm range a turbo 4 can pull some v8s but then the V8 will go roaring by. I have been driving 2.3 Ecoboost Mustangs for the past 6 years and understand the power characteristics of the 2.3 Ecoboost quite well. There are plenty of videos showing Ecoboost Mustangs getting about a car length jump on a 5.0 Mustang before the Mustang roars on by.

In the case of a Ranger and a Durango the weight is within a couple hundred pounds of each other but the 5.7 I'm the Durango has a 90 HP and 60 ft-lbs advantage. I would venture a guess that the Durango's gearing is what is keeping a race between the two close.
Based on what I've read, the Durango weighs almost 1000 lbs more.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thing you have to keep in mind is that 375HP is about 250HP if the engine power was measured the way it is today.
Still, 14.2 is a great ET for stock Detroit Iron….

”Surprise, surprise! The stone stock L78 proves GM was underrating things back in the day. With 425 hp at 5,800 rpm and 445.4 lb-ft at 3,600 rpm, we are a full 50 hp higher than showroom claims.”
Sponsored

Last edited: