First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Admin Type. U.S. Navy (Retired)
The dealership cannot tell if it was tuned, but Ford can. It needs to be notated somehow that the vehicle had the Ford Performance tuner in the vehicle when purchased and may have been tuned prior to your purchase.

That way, if you do happen to have the type of failure Ford would try to deny due to the engine being tuned, and they discover the vehicle had been tuned and try to deny your warranty claim because of it, a lawyer could easily use that information to win in court.

As I said though, all of this has a very small chance of actually happening. But if it does happen, you will be extremely grateful for having documentation that it may have been tuned prior to your purchase. At that point, Ford would have to prove that you put a tune after you purchased it.

Of course, if you decide to actually tune the truck, don't worry about it.
Yep, I found the box before I purchased it and they said during the "172 point inspection" prior to putting it on their used car lot that if they did find a performance tune that it was reset to the original settings. I have that in black and white.
Sponsored

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yep, I found the box before I purchased it and they said during the "172 point inspection" prior to putting it on their used car lot that if they did find a performance tune that it was reset to the original settings. I have that in black and white.
Being reset to factory is a different thing all together though.

My previous car was a Honda Civic Si that I tuned. I had major transmission and engine issues before 20k miles. It was always return to stock tune prior to going in for service, but they still denied my warranty claim based on the fact that it had been tuned.

If you were to have a major engine failure or similar showing that documentation will only help Ford's case against you. If they show the truck has been tuned the documentation can be used to say it wasn't tuned prior to your purchase and therefore you must have tuned it.

Does that make sense? I don't want to scare you or anything. As I said, this has a very small chance of happening, but has happened to me personally. It is minimal effort for peace of mind in the long run.

If you want to read my Civic Si Story, click here.

OP
OP
JJ101

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation

My previous car was a Honda Civic Si that I tuned. I had major transmission and engine issues before 20k miles. It was always return to stock tune prior to going in for service, but they still denied my warranty claim based on the fact that it had been tuned.

If you were to have a major engine failure or similar showing that documentation will only help Ford's case against you. If they show the truck has been tuned the documentation can be used to say it wasn't tuned prior to your purchase and therefore you must have tuned it.

Does that make sense? I don't want to scare you or anything. As I said, this has a very small chance of happening, but has happened to me personally. It is minimal effort for peace of mind in the long run.

Not really that scared, I purchased it from Ford on my local Ford dealers used car lot. It's all Ford dealer paperwork saying I'm clear and my warranty is valid from the date of purchase.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Not really that scared, I purchased it from Ford on my local Ford dealers used car lot. It's all Ford dealer paperwork saying I'm clear and my warranty is valid from the date of purchase.
Date of purchase is key here.

The CPO warranty agreement was entered into by Ford's rep AFTER inspecting the truck.

This along with the documentation from the dealership should have you covered.

This being a Ford Performance tune which offers a pseudo warranty does complicate the situation a bit. But I believe it would only work in your favor should anything arise.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
It's the Ford performance tune which is warranty compliant anyway, Right?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I’m leaving the truck as is and I don’t want to plug it in, I got an 8 year 100,000 mile CPO warranty from Ford
This is an accessory that is advertised by Ford. If you have a brochure for a 2020 Ford Ranger, there is a picture and a description of the ProCal4.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I found a ProCal in my truck when I bought it used about a week ago. I confirmed with my service department there is no tune on my truck. I don’t want to plug it in, no need since it has all the power I want or need.

I’ve heard “if” there is a tune on it that it may not read another truck if it was plugged into mine at one time. If there is no tune on it can someone use it and download a tune to it for a price? There’s no voucher slip in the box.

Is it worth anything as is?

E2847191-3EB8-4947-B92D-D8B26E1DA64B.jpeg

F00163EB-40DE-40D8-87A8-018B10FB4942.jpeg

5CE061D9-A881-4410-AB95-5F562598D5C0.jpeg

E2EDA6ED-E650-4078-B892-31712505040C.jpeg
I think that the previous owner must have been a nice guy who had tuned his truck but put the stock tune back in and left the future owner, in this case, you, with the "brick" in case you wanted to tune yours. I had to buy my Ford Performance Tune, and it was worth the money, I am glad I did, but what a great gift to get one free from somebody you don't even know! (Whether you want a tuned vehicle or not is another matter....)

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Does it have larger tires than factory? Maybe it was used to calibrate speedo.

OP
OP
JJ101

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Does it have larger tires than factory? Maybe it was used to calibrate speedo.
Nope, the truck has the stock tires. That’s going to change on Monday when I get KO2 265 70 17’s.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
That’s going to change on Monday when I get KO2 265 70 17’s
Well you can use the ProCal4 to correct the speedometer after you install the new tires. You do not have to “tune” the vehicle to make this change.

OP
OP
JJ101

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Well you can use the ProCal4 to correct the speedometer after you install the new tires. You do not have to “tune” the vehicle to make this change.
Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try.

Reactions: Doc

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It's the Ford performance tune which is warranty compliant anyway, Right?
While it is "warranty compliant" it still shortens the life of your warranty.

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
Is there a yellow registration paper in the box? If there is a voucher number in there then you should be able to register is with your vin and get a tune from Ford.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
JJ101

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Is there a yellow registration paper in the box? If there is a voucher number in there then you should be able to register is with your vin and get a tune from Ford.
Nope, no voucher or any other paperwork.

OP
OP
JJ101

JJ101

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Okay, I plugged it in to see if I could change the tire size. Nope. According to tire calculator the factory size is 660 RPM. The new tires are 638 RPM. The ProCal says 681??

3D1CF002-9429-4E28-A535-5DBD2EE251F9.jpeg

4DB8630A-24EE-4C45-AC9D-167F05844607.jpeg
Sponsored