First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So how much MPG do you think I could recover going from 285/70/17 Toyo OC ATII (46lbs) and went to 255/70/17 Toyo OC ATIII (37lbs) ?

It is something I am considering once my current rubber wears out.
I'd guess about 1-2.

But you should keep the height. 255/80/17 is only .1 inch taller.
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
What a Waste of ones Hard Earned $$......Buy a Race car but a Tune on a 4 Cyl. Ranger only Makes the Seller Richer......How Much More Power do You Need?
I'm tempted to record myself burning a $20 bill just so your Jimmy's get rustled.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I haven't done it on my Ranger, but with my Jeep I have 2 full sets of tires and wheels.

If I go from my 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT tires to my more street oriented Bridgestone 245/75/17 tires (both sets are the same diameter), I gain 2mpg and it feels like a LOT more power.

The Milestars are 10 ply so are significantly heavier.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
What a Waste of ones Hard Earned $$......Buy a Race car but a Tune on a 4 Cyl. Ranger only Makes the Seller Richer......How Much More Power do You Need?
Unleashed …388 lb/ft Torque ….more than my 396 Chevelle ..

Last edited:

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger...2005 Mustang Steeda
Occupation
Retired
How many miles will it take to really start taking in effect? Or should I feel a difference right away? I do Hear the intake trying to suck more air in. So the tune did install correctly without any issues.
IT IS A TRUCK!! How Much More H.P. Do ALL you People Expect....BUY a Mustang 5.0 or A Hot Dodge....But a TRUCK? WTF

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
This has been a very interesting discussion so far!

I had questions in regards to how a performance tune can increase MPG. I see this mentioned a lot as a pro of installing a performance tune. How does that work though? To make more power with less fuel? What are the third party tuning companies (and Ford Performance, in this case) doing that Ford engineers could not figure out to increase MPG and power at the same time?

I promise it is not my intention to suggest anyone is lying. But I cannot figure out why Ford would leave so much performance and fuel efficiency on the table if it meant they could get an advantage on their competition. What's the downside?

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor

I had questions in regards to how a performance tune can increase MPG. I see this mentioned a lot as a pro of installing a performance tune. How does that work though? To make more power with less fuel? What are the third party tuning companies (and Ford Performance, in this case) doing that Ford engineers could not figure out to increase MPG and power at the same time?

I promise it is not my intention to suggest anyone is lying. But I cannot figure out why Ford would leave so much performance and fuel efficiency on the table if it meant they could get an advantage on their competition. What's the downside?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but my gut says EPA

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Emissions. A regular production vehicle has to meet standards. You can tune to different standards.

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I'm not an expert on the subject, but my gut says EPA
Emissions. A regular production vehicle has to meet standards. You can tune to different standards.
I don't think it has to do with emissions/EPA, at least for the Ford Performance tune. The product description includes this message:
"...this part has been determined by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) not to have an adverse effect on emissions when installed and used properly in the application(s) identified in the product description. Under EPA and CARB policy, such parts may be installed in vehicles driven on public roads and highways."

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
If that's true then now I can't get past that there is a regulation that requires a manufacturer to design their vehicle in a way in which it burns more fuel than necessary (stock tune). That seems counter-productive for reducing emissions?

You're probably right, I just don't know enough about how emissions systems work. I need to do some research I think.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Like others have said the EPA has a lot to do with it.

However, it's also not an AND thing, it's more of an OR thing. Kinda like Eco or Boost.

A tune will give your truck higher power and torque accross the band. If you drive your truck efficiently, meaning using as little power as necessary, the truck will perform the same work at a lower rpm throughout, thus saving you fuel costs.

However, if you use the power as God intended your fuel costs will be a wash at best.