Sktam

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
If that's true then now I can't get past that there is a regulation that requires a manufacturer to design their vehicle in a way in which it burns more fuel than necessary (stock tune). That seems counter-productive for reducing emissions?

You're probably right, I just don't know enough about how emissions systems work. I need to do some research I think.
my theory is that it’s the tune transmission. It’s smoother and youre not lugging the engine anymore.

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
This has been a very interesting discussion so far!

I had questions in regards to how a performance tune can increase MPG. I see this mentioned a lot as a pro of installing a performance tune. How does that work though? To make more power with less fuel? What are the third party tuning companies (and Ford Performance, in this case) doing that Ford engineers could not figure out to increase MPG and power at the same time?

I promise it is not my intention to suggest anyone is lying. But I cannot figure out why Ford would leave so much performance and fuel efficiency on the table if it meant they could get an advantage on their competition. What's the downside?
No matter how I drive (or my spouse who always gets better mpg than me) neither of us get as good mpg as stock (with a tune). At best my spouse will get fairly close to stock, -1.8 mpg. But generally we both get far worse mpg with a tune than with stock, and I have three different tuners tunes, for 87, 91, and 93 fuel. I have put at least 800 miles on preloaded BDX tunes, 5star tuning, Unleashed, and now Livernois. Yeah, I like tunes, I have them all lol. Well, not all but the main 3 tuners plus the SCT BDX canned tunes. I have no interest in the FPP tune as it sounds similar to canned tune to me. I really like Unleashed and now absolutely LOVE Livernois performance 91-93 tune, after a 5 day trip through Olympic National Park. I am sure that the folks getting better mpg are in-fact getting better mpg, but for me and my spouse, nope, not even close. Tune = worse mpg in all cases for us. But shit tons more power!!! Totally worth the slightly worse mpg when driving conservatively. When someone pulls along side of me Iin the lane that ends after the intersection and I can see them creeping forward, almost jumping the gun waiting for the green, puts a huge smile on my face when I leave them staring at my (trucks) ass :-D

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
IT IS A TRUCK!! How Much More H.P. Do ALL you People Expect....BUY a Mustang 5.0 or A Hot Dodge....But a TRUCK? WTF
This is hilarious. Trucks often have lots of HP and tons of Torque. There is a reason folks like the big turbo diesel trucks and V8 gasoline trucks/engines, they have higher payload and towing capacities. More HP and Torque is not always about going quickly from 0 to 60 or being the fastest on the highway, especially with trucks!!!! Your whole post with your all CAPS!!! Intro gave me a good laugh, at you. Besides, what the hell is wrong with wanting a truck that is fast/quick? Nothing!

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
I dragy tested mine before and after literally within hours on the same exact stretch of road in the exact same manner and the averages were 15.3 @ 90mph stock, did the same after a tune it went 14.2 @ 97.5mph.

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
I dragy tested mine before and after literally within hours on the same exact stretch of road in the exact same manner and the averages were 15.3 @ 90mph stock, did the same after a tune it went 14.2 @ 97.5mph.
Which tune?

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
No matter how I drive (or my spouse who always gets better mpg than me) neither of us get as good mpg as stock (with a tune). At best my spouse will get fairly close to stock, -1.8 mpg. But generally we both get far worse mpg with a tune than with stock, and I have three different tuners tunes, for 87, 91, and 93 fuel. I have put at least 800 miles on preloaded BDX tunes, 5star tuning, Unleashed, and now Livernois. Yeah, I like tunes, I have them all lol. Well, not all but the main 3 tuners plus the SCT BDX canned tunes. I have no interest in the FPP tune as it sounds similar to canned tune to me. I really like Unleashed and now absolutely LOVE Livernois performance 91-93 tune, after a 5 day trip through Olympic National Park. I am sure that the folks getting better mpg are in-fact getting better mpg, but for me and my spouse, nope, not even close. Tune = worse mpg in all cases for us. But shit tons more power!!! Totally worth the slightly worse mpg when driving conservatively. When someone pulls along side of me Iin the lane that ends after the intersection and I can see them creeping forward, almost jumping the gun waiting for the green, puts a huge smile on my face when I leave them staring at my (trucks) ass :-D
Thank you for sharing your firsthand experience. I've installed aftermarket performance tunes on past vehicles (2008 Mustang GT, 2014 Mustang GT, and 2020 Civic Si) and my experience has always ranged from slightly-worse-to-unchanged MPG when tuning. I've never seen improved MPG. Even when being gentle on the throttle. I do not understand how the Ranger would be different.

Ford does not advertise increased MPG for their tune (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB). It tells me that in their extensive testing they did not see a positive effect on MPG. There's a large market of people who do not care about increased HP, but would be all over the tune for the MPG benefits. It would be a huge selling point. It does not add up for them to not mention that.

Thanks again to all who gave their input. I'll drop it as to not further hijack Sktam's post. With respect, I think I will remain unconvinced for now.

Raacerx

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor Supercrew
Occupation
Engineer / Project Manager
I'll add my experience with the Ford Performance tune; it's absolutely great. It's exactly what I was looking for and performs exactly as advertised. It's how the vehicle should have been from the factory, as it still keeps parameters pretty mild and it's a solid improvement both peak and under the curve. It was the first upgrade I purchased.

I come from 20 years of extensive Audi tuning with big turbos and built motors, so it's been super refreshing to drive what feels like a true smooth OEM tune. There's plenty of power left on the table, but it's nice knowing I'm never pushing boost or timing too much.

Anytime you start pushing parameters, certain things get overlooked or deprioritized and drivability suffers. It's amazing how you can get used-to flaws when you daily drive around an aggressive aftermarket tune. And with California cracking down on emissions and aftermarket tunes, I feel even better with my CARB exempt choice, even if I could easily squeeze an extra 50hp.

In terms of gas mileage, mine suffered about 1-2mpg, but I also drive much more aggressively now. Previously, when I would pass I would just sort of pass; now, there's enough power that I enjoy passing more aggressively.

On long road trips, my mpg seems to be about the same, except when I have a heavy load and kayaks on the roof; then it seems to have improved 1-2mpg.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
Which tune?
Ford Performance tune. Fwiw I run 295/70r17 10ply MTs and get 19.8mpg mixed driving it averaged 20.6 before the tune bone stock.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
How many miles will it take to really start taking in effect? Or should I feel a difference right away? I do Hear the intake trying to suck more air in. So the tune did install correctly without any issues.
Tunes?? Waste of money.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Tunes?? Waste of money.
Really??
Especially with a turbo engine a tune is the single most cost effective way to increase power. No other modification will give you as much bang for your buck.