Just got my FP tune and Butt dyno is not impressed

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
From what I understand it doesn't reduce your overall poertrain warranty. But problems found to be caused by the tune are only warrantied for 3/36 from purchase of the truck.

It's my understanding that if I put it on my 10k mile truck the tune would be warrantied for the next 26k miles but if say my tranny went ot at 50k and it wasn't the tune's fault I'd be covered.

Hardly seems worth it to me.
Seems like having the tune could create some risk in obtaining warranty coverage for powertrain failures between 3/36 and 5/60. They will always investigate the tune as a potential cause and rightfully so, I suppose.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Seems like having the tune could create some risk in obtaining warranty coverage for powertrain failures between 3/36 and 5/60. They will always investigate the tune as a potential cause and rightfully so, I suppose.
Correct.

I do think the fact that it's just the Ford Performance tune might help a person in that regard. I'd think they'd have a hard time proving that the Ford tune caused a problem. But we also know they don't really have to prove anything, they can simply say "all the mods."

For me, 26k miles worth of coverage is not much of a selling point.

Reactions: Doc

stratos201xp

First Name
Carlton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Driver
Do you send them datalogs for them to revise off of?

Or do you tell them what you've added and they just throw a WAG at from their experience?

If it's the latter I'd beware.

Some here seem to be conflating a true custom tune by dyno/road/or datalog tuning, and an OTS tune from a 3rd party tuner.

Best I can tell the only person out of the big 3 Ranger tuners who looks at datalogs is Torrie from Unleashed.
I do want to run a Data log on a dyno for the simple fact that they’ll use air/fuel sensor on exhaust. I want to get the truck dialed in for sure. The only other performance mod to do for me is cr performance stage 3 turbo upgrade along with water meth injection. Then weight reduction will be volk te37 18” wheels that’ll save 10 to 13lbs per wheel. The stock 17 with tires are 58lbs. The volk wheels are 7lbs lighter. I’ll be using a lower profile tire to get the extra weight down. I intend to use freakrides front coil over kit to drop and belltechs rear flip. This is honestly the funest truck I’ve ever owned.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I do want to run a Data log on a dyno for the simple fact that they’ll use air/fuel sensor on exhaust. I want to get the truck dialed in for sure. The only other performance mod to do for me is cr performance stage 3 turbo upgrade along with water meth injection. Then weight reduction will be volk te37 18” wheels that’ll save 10 to 13lbs per wheel. The stock 17 with tires are 58lbs. The volk wheels are 7lbs lighter. I’ll be using a lower profile tire to get the extra weight down. I intend to use freakrides front coil over kit to drop and belltechs rear flip. This is honestly the funest truck I’ve ever owned.
So, just to be clear, for me and others considering 5Star, they've never asked for datalogs for any of the revisions they've given you?

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
On my way to get the FPT now, fingers crossed.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Just got back from the install, took about a half hour until I could start to feel a difference. The dealership said it needs to relearn my driving style for about 500 miles.? Drive it like you stole it was their advise. ?

OP
OP
Sktam

Sktam

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
On my way to get the FPT now, fingers crossed.
After a few days, I feel like it has more tq than the first day I had it. It’s all non factual butt dyno stuff. But I believe it’s most due to the fact that this is my first 10 speed car. I noticed
Just got back from the install, took about a half hour until I could start to feel a difference. The dealership said it needs to relearn my driving style for about 500 miles.? Drive it like you stole it was their advise. ?
yup, sorry that I didnt Update. After about 3 days, I felt More tq. Not tremendous amount. I think It has a lot to do with it being a 10speed as well. When you punch it in sport, the gears stay in the 5k range every shift. I think It made the power felt very gradual instead of that punch. Highway speeds I can definitely tell the difference.

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
the sound?? thats just the high flow K + N filter you hear. it also lets in more dirt as well as more air.

the tune should take effect immediately.
its a programming change.
unlike the transmission, it doesnt take time to learn anything

Im glad youre honest about the butt dyno.
theres some sensitive bitches on here who claim to feel the power of 91 over 87.

With an added 45 horsepower, you should feel an extra push when you stomp the pedal.
kinda like when your gramma whacks the back of your ass to send you to bed.

it's not breathtaking, but its also not a massive kick in the pants turning the Ranger into a Race car.
Perception is reality...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
if we did the math on the MPG gains VS the cost of the tune, it's still a very long return on investment before you would see money back into the pocket. add in the extra cost for 91, and it slows the return even more.

No one could say they bought a tune simply for mileage improvement unless they are environmentally conscious and the costs arent an issue.
I hate math, but it can be fun, so why not;

Lets see what we get... (93 octane user)

So I average an increase of 2+ MPG @ average of $3.00 gallon (imaginary number as it fluctuates) with a tune.

14 MPG without tune / 252 miles per tank / 21 cents per mile

16 MPG with tune / 288 MPG miles per tank / 19 cents per mile

-

14 MPG over 5,000 miles = $1,050.00

16 MPG over 5,000 miles = $950.00

Total Savings: $100.00

-

Tuner = $450.00

Recoup Miles = 22,250

Lifetime Savings (100,000 Miles) = $2,000

Did I do it right?

Now keep in mind my particular setup overall is about as aerodynamic as a cinder block with wheels, so the overall savings would probably be greater for the average user.

But... depending on the users region and fluctuations of gas prices, it could still get better... or worse.

OP
OP
Sktam

Sktam

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech
I hate math, but it can be fun, so why not;

Lets see what we get... (93 octane user)

So I average an increase of 2+ MPG @ average of $3.00 gallon (imaginary number as it fluctuates) with a tune.

14 MPG without tune / 252 miles per tank / 21 cents per mile

16 MPG with tune / 288 MPG miles per tank / 19 cents per mile

-

14 MPG over 5,000 miles = $1,050.00

16 MPG over 5,000 miles = $950.00

Total Savings: $100.00

-

Tuner = $450.00

Recoup Miles = 22,250

Lifetime Savings (100,000 Miles) = $2,000

Did I do it right?

Now keep in mind my particular setup overall is about as aerodynamic as a cinder block with wheels, so the overall savings would probably be greater for the average user.

But... depending on the users region and fluctuations of gas prices, it could still get better... or worse.
You forgot the cinder blocks for tires too

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
probably pretty close

my gas prices today, likely skew my results to the bad side

at $1.93 a litre for premium, and regular almost 30 cents cheaper, its costly to run a tune with premium.
I've always ran 93 even when I first bought it. Ford seems to indicate better engine performance and efficiency with higher octane so nothing really changed for me in regards to that.

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger...2005 Mustang Steeda
Occupation
Retired
I could tell the difference immediately. The FP tune was noticeably stronger and, if anything, has become better over the last month. I'm sorry to hear that some are disappointed.
What a Waste of ones Hard Earned $$......Buy a Race car but a Tune on a 4 Cyl. Ranger only Makes the Seller Richer......How Much More Power do You Need?
Sponsored