I had a strange thing happen last weekend

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Just curious. Since you had no cell service the app wouldn't have worked to unlock the truck, right? Even if right next to it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious. Since you had no cell service the app wouldn't have worked to unlock the truck, right? Even if right next to it?
Correct - the app only works if you have cell service. It isn't a Bluetooth connection for that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
A little background - I go hiking frequently and don't want to lose my keys while hiking and be stuck, so I have a hitch safe where I put my key fob when I'm hiking. It works great. Last weekend I went hiking and when we got back to the truck I took out the fob and pressed the unlock button and it was dead. It was pretty cold where we were (probably right around freezing). I warmed it up for a few minutes and it started working. I doubt this is a truck battery issue (although I'm closing in on 5 years on the original battery). I'm thinking I probably need to change out the battery in the fob. Does anyone else have a different suggestion or idea on the cause?

It was a bit concerning - we were in a rather remote spot with no one else around and no cell service (although I do have my Garmin GPS communicator in an emergency).
Yeah that would be the Fob Battery giving you trouble. If I remember correctly it is good practice to change the battery out every 2-3 years on those.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
carry around a tennis ball with a hole cut in it:LOL:

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I always say that I could spend the night - I wouldn't be horribly comfortable but I would be able to survive the night with no problem. I've never needed it, but I do know a couple of people who have had to spend an unplanned night in the woods.

I have the big one - the Inreach Explorer + that has the GPS - but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the mini. The communications stuff on it work really well, but the GPS just plain sucks. I kind of figured it would be a backup, but I never use it because it just sucks. I used to have an old Garmin GPS (60csx) and loved it until phones got better and now I use my phone for my GPS - I can load whatever maps I want on it. The mini would be quite a bit smaller and lighter and do all the same things I use the explorer + for.

I think they are probably the best option right now - service plans aren't too bad and they work - the only issues I've ever had is sometimes it takes a while to send a message - but they do eventually go out.

I understand - Oregon has its share of nuts.... but it isn't that hard to steer clear of them. Where I hike I almost never encounter another person.

That 360 was taken by my drone - it takes amazing 360 photos....

We should probably move this to the off topic forum - we've drifted a ways from the original topic. :LOL:
The majority couldn't figure out that decriminalizing drugs would make the drug problem worse, not better. How do you avoid the majority except by avoiding all?
I love east of the Cascades and Sierras but won't spend too much time in any of the three coast states.

Ace

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
This might be overkill but I change my Fob battery every month as well as my wife's. It's cheap enough to buy, keep, and replace to have assurance knowing I don't run into issues. I recently replaced the OEM battery earlier this year after seeing warning signs on the Sync Screen. Upgraded to a H7 from a H4.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The stick on keypads can be mounted anywhere, some people put them in the fuel door.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The stick on keypads can be mounted anywhere, some people put them in the fuel door.
Yeah I thought about that, but you have to remove its "case" in order to put it on the inside of the fuel door.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Yeah I thought about that, but you have to remove its "case" in order to put it on the inside of the fuel door.
Really? Why? You can also put it anywhere else. I have heard of people putting it on the edge of the rear glass.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Why? You can also put it anywhere else. I have heard of people putting it on the edge of the rear glass.
For me, the one from the dealer comes black, and putting it inside the fuel door hides it's ugliness from the world.

I mean, I have the best color for a truck so I'm concerned about these things.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This might be overkill but I change my Fob battery every month as well as my wife's.
MIGHT be overkill?? Mine was still working fine after four years. I think you could go to annual and still be safe. Only changed mine because the wife's car was telling her her fob battery was low. They use the same battery and they came in four packs. LOL.

Tony Robyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport
Occupation
City Administrator
Cargo pants or shorts with a zipper pocket, boom.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never tried it but remember seeing some who did. As I recall the door wouldn't close unless you removed its "trim"/cover.

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
2019 Lariat with factory keypad. The fob can be left in the vehicle and doors locked by pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 numbers simultaneously once the doors are closed. The Ranger can be unlocked by inputting the factory assigned code or your alternate code (if you programmed one).

I'm not sure if this setup would have helped the OP given the suspected cold temp affecting the battery operation.
Sponsored