First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
I really enjoy having 93 after I moved back east. Coupled with the FPP Tune the truck is really a little beast. Even on 285’s she rips

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Never tried Spruce, but I have had Hickory syrup. Freakin' delicious.
It's pretty easy to do, just simmer young tips of spruce tree in (sugar) water for 4 hours or so until the water has evaporated. If you want a taste, you can just make tea out of it by boiling them for few minutes.

Now collecting the tips is the pain as you'll need a lot of them and the correct time window is few days. If you miss the correct time, you can fix it by adding sugar. You can also collect them in the spring, freeze and use when needed.

1675243159948.png

It's the light green stuff you need to collect.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
It's pretty easy to do, just simmer young tips of spruce tree in (sugar) water for 4 hours or so until the water has evaporated. If you want a taste, you can just make tea out of it by boiling them for few minutes.

Now collecting the tips is the pain as you'll need a lot of them and the correct time window is few days. If you miss the correct time, you can fix it by adding sugar. You can also collect them in the spring, freeze and use when needed.

1675243159948.png

It's the light green stuff you need to collect.
That's pretty cool. I think hickory syrup is made from the bark.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I only run 93 and never lug. I did "have" to use 89 for half a tank and noticed no difference.

I was always under the impression that it takes a tank to fully re-calibrate the computers, but I may be talking out my ass on that one (another source of high octane gas).

But I also use fuel additives and octane boosters because of someone here (not mentioning @AzScorpion) is secretly the owner of that company, that also sells Graphene (they hook you with that and then your trapped).
IMO, injector cleaner additives are money down the drain, or out the exhaust pipe. Use to tier gasoline (Shell, Exxon, Texaco), as those already have additives to keep injectors clean.
Stabilizers are good if you plan to park the vehicles for a long time.
Octane boosters may benefit high compression race engines, but probably don't benefit our engines.

For some reason I read the title "living the thigh life".

I am so disappointed this thread is not about either chicken nor thicc girls.

DirtyBabyishJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif
I thought it was living life high, and we would be discussing THC and edibles.
As Jamey Johnson sang:

"The high cost of livin'
Ain't nothing like the cost of livin' high "

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
IMO, injector cleaner additives are money down the drain, or out the exhaust pipe. Use to tier gasoline (Shell, Exxon, Texaco), as those already have additives to keep injectors clean.
Stabilizers are good if you plan to park the vehicles for a long time.
Octane boosters may benefit high compression race engines, but probably don't benefit our engines.

I thought it was living life high, and we would be discussing THC and edibles.
As Jamey Johnson sang:

"The high cost of livin'
Ain't nothing like the cost of livin' high "
Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I have no data to say that consumer-added fuel treatments do anything. I have always run the highest octane I can get and always, if possible, from big name stations. Mostly I use Sunoco because it's close (especially for dump runs!).

Now with this latest one I'm getting, supposedly it does a good job getting moisture out (and supposedly the negative stuff that ethanol can cause - which I don't know is a real thing or not).

With our temperature swings in New England, water could be a concern. But in a regularly used vehicle, I'm not sure it really is since water will tend to go to the bottom of the tank and be the first thing burned off.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Okay I have to go bleach my eyes out after some of the replies here. ?

Here in Missouri we have 91 and 93 octane. Some gas stations will have 91 while others have 93 but not both. I try to stick with 93 as much as possible. And the best 93 octane is from the stations with no ethanol in their fuel.

I have definitely noticed a difference between 91/93 and 87. I tried running 4 tanks of 87 last year and not only did my MPG go down, but the truck ran worse. I normally average 22 MPG with 91/93 octane but that dropped to 18 MPG with 87 octane. And the truck was sluggish/rough running with the 87.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
That's pretty cool. I think hickory syrup is made from the bark.
it's made from the sap just like the Canadian National Beverage maple syrup. Every couple years I tap the black walnuts in the yard mmmm nutty. there are several kinds of trees you can do this with, maple has the highest sugar content so it takes less sap and it varies from species to species

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
it's made from the sap just like the Canadian National Beverage maple syrup. Every couple years I tap the black walnuts in the yard mmmm nutty. there are several kinds of trees you can do this with, maple has the highest sugar content so it takes less sap and it varies from species to species
A good friend on mine has a maple syrup business back in MA. It started out as a hobby then morphed into a huge business for them. He's also one of the only certified organic ones in the area and makes a killing now. You wouldn't believe how much he does in the maple shack he has out front of his house? There's a non stop flow of cars all day there and he sells a ton of maple ice cream and maple cotton candy too.

https://ferrindino.com

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I always thought 93 was for people that just send it and those with the fancier cars who’s names I can’t pronounce lol. Maybe I’m starting to go over to the dark side but it felt good boys!
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here because I see several posts about adding octane boosters. You don't want to add any octane booster to your fuel that uses methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, also called MMT. This is pretty much all of the off the shelf octane boosters. The Ford Ranger Owner's manual specifically warns against doing this.

I run high octane as much as I can because our trucks are designed for higher-compression, as are many turbo-charged 4-cylinder engines. Ford says, in your manual, in forums, in news articles that higher octane fuel will improve the engine performance. They also say not to use any fuel less than 87 octane, even when operating at higher altitudes. They have a reason for adapting the engine to operate satisfactorily with 87 octane and that is sales. Many people and companies will not purchase a vehicle that "requires" higher octane because of higher operating costs.

Higher octane does not mean higher energy. You will get more power because the ignition of the fuel is happening with greater compression. If a lower octane fuel is used, you will not produce as much power, but as long as all the fuel is being burned, you are producing the same amount of work. So MPG will not improve, very much, with a higher octane fuel. Also, if your engine is designed to operate with 87 octane fuel, then using 91 or 93 octane fuel will not improve power and might actually reduce the power. An older engine might improve if it is knocking.
Sponsored