First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Does sport mode change anything but how the transmission shifts?
I don't know, but I seem to be able to go faster quicker...better throttle response it seems like to me.
But I'm a heathen and don't know what I'm talking about most days. Probably best to ignore me.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
We really need to have a talk! :shock:?
what talk? the conversation about do dampers cause transvestites or do transvestites cause dampers. all the transvestites I know can throw down and would never be associated with a TGD. end of convo

edit to include story of my favorite transgender Danielle. this was early 2000's. Danielle was preopp male to female. she was the nicest lady. One day she came into work with a black eye and her only response was that she wasn't asshole who spent the night in the ER...

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
what talk? the conversation about do dampers cause transvestites or do transvestites cause dampers. all the transvestites I know can throw down and would never be associated with a TGD. end of convo
Fair enough. But then there's the lumberjack wearing a blue sequin cocktail dress. ?Maybe it's best we don't talk and I don't find out.?:bandit:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Fair enough. But then there's the lumberjack wearing a blue sequin cocktail dress. ?Maybe it's best we don't talk and I don't find out.?:bandit:
you're too fast for my edit

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Does sport mode change anything but how the transmission shifts?
Stays at higher RPMs and basically has more resistance to shifting down and decreased MPG.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
So let me preface this by saying I’ve never ran anything but 87 octane gas in every truck I’ve owned. Well last night we had some Kroger gas rewards and since it was just me and my son to make our own decisions and fend for ourselves out in the wild (wife was at home), I may have “accidentally” filled up with some of that premium gas you all talk so highly of. After a few minutes of different than normal shifting (truck probably was wondering what this extra delicious shit I just gave it was) the engine ran like a completely different engine. Zero lugging at lower speeds and smooth. I tried like hell to get it to lug today on the way to work up a few hills and couldn’t. Completely different drive and was smoother than normal. I have no idea if the added gas mileage is worth it, I’ll have to do the math. Anyway this was with 93 added to 1/4 tank of 87, so not even full 93 per se, and well damn. Impressive to say the least. I always thought 93 was for people that just send it and those with the fancier cars who’s names I can’t pronounce lol. Maybe I’m starting to go over to the dark side but it felt good boys!

Now to the next order of business, need to build me a fishing rod holder in the bed so I can put some of my longer rods in it so if anyone has done something like that let me know.
Yeah so I did the math on this a while ago in some thread backed by government emission testing data with a f150 ecoboost. They tested 87 octane vs 91+, and they basically found that you barely get any increased MPG but you get more power. Yes it did affect the MPG but no way it will offset the cost per gallon difference between 87 and premium. You are trying to get an MPG increase of over 15% to balance out the 15% extra cost, very unlikely. However, you get 15 more hp out of your Ranger if you put premium inside. And a whole lot more fun. But consequently, that fun now is an added factor into a heavier foot and more erratic driving. Even lessening the chance to gain that 15% MPG increase.

Just food for thought!

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Haha well damn, now I gotta do it. Peer pressure is a bitch. I thought I outgrew that years ago. Guess not. Let me get these suspension upgrades in and then I actually may look into the Livernois tune. I even found myself looking at that tailgate damper the other day on Amazon. What am I becoming?
I only run 93 and never lug. I did "have" to use 89 for half a tank and noticed no difference.

I was always under the impression that it takes a tank to fully re-calibrate the computers, but I may be talking out my ass on that one (another source of high octane gas).

But I also use fuel additives and octane boosters because of someone here (not mentioning @AzScorpion) is secretly the owner of that company, that also sells Graphene (they hook you with that and then your trapped).

OP
OP
Shoran12

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I only run 93 and never lug. I did "have" to use 89 for half a tank and noticed no difference.

I was always under the impression that it takes a tank to fully re-calibrate the computers, but I may be talking out my ass on that one (another source of high octane gas).

But I also use fuel additives and octane boosters because of someone here (not mentioning @AzScorpion) is secretly the owner of that company, that also sells Graphene (they hook you with that and then your trapped).
I don’t know anything about fuel additives or octane boosters but they sound nice ?. Maybe @AzScorpion will drop some knowledge of them on me. I’ve given up on restraining myself from buying all the stuff you guys peddle on here lmao. I should drop this forum like a bad habit but then what else would I do in my spare time when I’m not fishing ? So while we’re at it are there any other upgrades I need? Just tell me now so I can add them to my ever growing list. Its length is directly proportional to how much damn time I spend on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shoran12

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Yeah so I did the math on this a while ago in some thread backed by government emission testing data with a f150 ecoboost. They tested 87 octane vs 91+, and they basically found that you barely get any increased MPG but you get more power. Yes it did affect the MPG but no way it will offset the cost per gallon difference between 87 and premium. You are trying to get an MPG increase of over 15% to balance out the 15% extra cost, very unlikely. However, you get 15 more hp out of your Ranger if you put premium inside. And a whole lot more fun. But consequently, that fun now is an added factor into a heavier foot and more erratic driving. Even lessening the chance to gain that 15% MPG increase.

Just food for thought!
So fun factor, worth it. Wallet factor, not so much. But can you put a price on fun really? And who knows, maybe since I’m having more fun with my truck, I’ll feel more peppy and motivated at work and in turn will get a raise therefore actually lowering the price I initially spent on premium fuel. We gotta consider all variables in this equation now.

it’s quite the stretch… I know, but maybe thats my reality lol. And are we all really alive? Maybe this life is like the matrix and if that’s what it turns out to be, I’m gonna be pissed I didn’t run premium.

This is getting outta hand quickly ?

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
don't know who Sean is but I'm picturing a lumberjack in a blue sequin cocktail dress beard and all:oops:
Just picked one of those gender neutral names. Its a flannel cocktail dress by the way.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I don’t know anything about fuel additives or octane boosters but they sound nice ?. Maybe @AzScorpion will drop some knowledge of them on me. I’ve given up on restraining myself from buying all the stuff you guys peddle on here lmao. I should drop this forum like a bad habit but then what else would I do in my spare time when I’m not fishing ? So while we’re at it are there any other upgrades I need? Just tell me now so I can add them to my ever growing list. Its length is directly proportional to how much damn time I spend on here.
Stick to experimenting with 93 and also lesser octanes. It's quite a price jump from 87 to 93. As far as additives, I don't think an octane booster can do very much, it's such a small amount in a bottle. For cleaners, I do think they help.

I can't point to a quantifiable answer, but I've run synthetic oil in my FJ40 since 1978 and the return leg of a trip from Galveston to Ottawa (2,000 miles each way), the engine I freshly overhauled had each of compression ring break into two to 6 pieces. A few of the pieces tore through the aluminum cylinder and beat themselves into the top of the piston. Talk about a scary sound!

Well, I continued home (about 1,000 miles after that noise) and yanked the engine back out. I expected to see the cylinder sleeves all scratched up. But nothing ... a light honing, the right size compression rings and new pistons, and it ran another 20 years. That's when I discovered the '72 had a '69 engine!

The point? I always felt that Mobil 1 helped and that's how also feel about fuel cleaners.

Anybody here ever used to add Marvel Mystery Oil in their engine and gas? Old school!

I have a bottle out in the garage but can't bring myself to put it in the Ranger. I know zippo about fuel injection ...

IMG_20230131_153444481.jpg

The Fuel Injector Pro isn't clear, it's empty and I cut off the bottoms for capless filler funnels. Bah, it's also discontinued on their site. Sheesh, something I use monthly in both our cars. I'm sorry @AzScorpion, I guess that will cut into your Disney cruise budget a little ... =(

104+® Octane Boost

We also use their windshield Alla-Selzer tablets and mix them into our normal windshield washer fluid (it would freeze solid otherwise).
303® Instant Windshield Washer Tablets

In the FJ40, I use 104+® Max Octane Boost and Lead Substitute since it's an engine that needs lead to lube the valves.

And these are also the folks that sell Graphene, but that's really getting off target.