First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Done and done...

Removing went excellent other then the fact I was too scared to pry. But it went well!
Painting went excellent.
Putting it back went excellent.
Adding "taps" of glue went excellent.
Finding out the glue you purchased was expanding went horrific.
Sanding/Picking out expanded glue from FRONT of emblem saddened me more.
Applying 3 Clear Coats went execellent.
Applying Ceramic Coating went execellent.

Overall results 7/10. Would have been 10/10 if I didn't mess up the glue. gonna have to touch up the F and the O where the paint continued to expand even after I cleaned it, and clear coated it.

Face to face - only I and a keen eye will catch
Facing my rear when you're in a car - looks brilliant. Very happy!

Suggestion to everyone.

Read your glue label. Don't use expanding glue.

20210719_145240.jpg
Looks awesome, anybody looks that close at it - tell them to get the F away from your truck!

I used crazy glue to tack the parts together and had a little squeeze out. Bugs the shit out of me also, but I just take a step back and enjoy it.

Wait is your truck white or cactus grey?
Sponsored

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
I used a tiny amount of clear silicone to get the smaller bits reattached when I did mine and let it dry for a day gently taped with painters tape, sticky side to sticky side across the face. It holds well and you can carefully wipe the squeeze out with a very clean rag. Recommend.

ak47p

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Ford Sales Representative
Looks awesome, anybody looks that close at it - tell them to get the F away from your truck!

I used crazy glue to tack the parts together and had a little squeeze out. Bugs the shit out of me also, but I just take a step back and enjoy it.

Wait is your truck white or cactus grey?
Haha that's a very good point sir! They shouldn't be that close. :p Thanks so much as well!! Loved the tutorial. I would have just ended up with a sticker and chrome again.. :p

Cactus Grey! I love this colour!

EDIT: Whoa now that I look at that picture it looks white eh... I got a ceramic coating today and the light prolly hitting it at the right angle.

Last edited:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The Ford emblem looks like the most over engineered of all manufacturers :)
Nice Tutorial

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! Job well done fellas, and thanks for the pics etc. I will be attempting this as well haha we shall see how this goes for me.

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a fairly old post, but did you guys scuff/sand the chrome plastic baseplate before painting it black? or just clean it with soap/acetone then spray paint?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is a fairly old post, but did you guys scuff/sand the chrome plastic baseplate before painting it black? or just clean it with soap/acetone then spray paint?
yup
Green scotchbrite

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Alright here’s a quick down dirty as to how to remove the rear tailgate Ford emblem.

Tools needed:
7mm socket
25 torx
Drill with different sized bits
Your favorite spray paint
Small flat head screw driver

1) Use small flat screw driver and find the little hole opening right above the rear camera. Insert screwdriver and lift up which will cause the Ford emblem to pop out.

2) Use 7mm socket to remove two bolts holding the camera housing. It will come off when you pull it. Then take off connector going to the camera.

3) Use your 25 torx to remove the latch holding the camera in. The camera is held in by the tabs on the side. Be careful with these tabs they are very fragile. The camera should pop out once you move the tabs.

4) Paint camera housing to your choice of color.

5) Now the intimidating part. You will need your drill and bits to screw out the plastic fasteners holding the Ford emblem together. I followed this video and worked out great!

6) Once removed you can paint to your color of choice. For the most part everything clips back together. The only thing I had to glue in place was the very back piece that fills in the color d and i.

I highly recommend taking your time with this project and letting the paint dry for at least an hour before touching. I was in a rush and didn’t turn out perfect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

812B8DAA-7721-4BA0-A54F-D1CA415976FF.jpeg

FB734FF3-FDD4-4581-B4E5-003EBBDB8DD2.jpeg

B529AA0C-4C96-4542-B0A7-6C171A8A8905.jpeg

C0830383-9447-4FBA-B03C-BC0D9FA73E84.jpeg

FB707ADD-9981-4883-B46F-66185264F491.jpeg

C0832F37-EBF9-4F85-A845-3931BF472F27.jpeg

A4109760-8793-4EFD-9BE9-BD79F65C06FF.jpeg
Did this earlier on my '21. I ordered it with the Black Appearance Pkg, but the tailgate emblem was Gloss Black/Smoked Chrome, which wasn't going to cut it for me!
IMG_20211219_171947610.jpg

Last edited:

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Great write up. I may tackle this this weekend. Those heat staked rivets can be a pain. If you do a fair bit of bench wiring and use shrink tube or have use for a small hot air gun a SMD rework station comes in real handy at separating these types of parts. While prying at one section apply heat to the rivet and it will deform and pull through the hole. You won't have the ability to re-rivet the part tightly but you will have enough material to epoxy the back side back together tightly.

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
A0766704-5B80-45A8-B432-9870AD34550B.jpeg
painted mine today still have to do the front emblem. Magnetic to match the bumper and hot pepper red to match the truck
Looks great!

Where did you buy the Hot Pepper paint?

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great man!! very well done

Painting the emblem makes a huge difference. With certain colored rangers; the original blue/chrome emblem looks tacky and dated.

hogsrear

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
These look awesome and I think I’m going to give it a shot too. For the folks that did this a while ago, how have they been holding up over time? Specifically the front emblem, facing rocks, road grime etc.
Sponsored