How to paint Ford tailgate emblem

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Alright here’s a quick down dirty as to how to remove the rear tailgate Ford emblem.

Tools needed:
7mm socket
25 torx
Drill with different sized bits
Your favorite spray paint
Small flat head screw driver

1) Use small flat screw driver and find the little hole opening right above the rear camera. Insert screwdriver and lift up which will cause the Ford emblem to pop out.

2) Use 7mm socket to remove two bolts holding the camera housing. It will come off when you pull it. Then take off connector going to the camera.

3) Use your 25 torx to remove the latch holding the camera in. The camera is held in by the tabs on the side. Be careful with these tabs they are very fragile. The camera should pop out once you move the tabs.

4) Paint camera housing to your choice of color.

5) Now the intimidating part. You will need your drill and bits to screw out the plastic fasteners holding the Ford emblem together. I followed this video and worked out great!

6) Once removed you can paint to your color of choice. For the most part everything clips back together. The only thing I had to glue in place was the very back piece that fills in the color d and i.

I highly recommend taking your time with this project and letting the paint dry for at least an hour before touching. I was in a rush and didn’t turn out perfect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

812B8DAA-7721-4BA0-A54F-D1CA415976FF.jpeg

FB734FF3-FDD4-4581-B4E5-003EBBDB8DD2.jpeg

B529AA0C-4C96-4542-B0A7-6C171A8A8905.jpeg

C0830383-9447-4FBA-B03C-BC0D9FA73E84.jpeg

FB707ADD-9981-4883-B46F-66185264F491.jpeg

C0832F37-EBF9-4F85-A845-3931BF472F27.jpeg

A4109760-8793-4EFD-9BE9-BD79F65C06FF.jpeg
Sponsored

Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice!!! Also, love the color of your truck...lol. I have the same exact one (XLT Sport 4x4). Also got the same Husky liners that you put in and I'm impressed with them so far.

Question: What color did you paint the Ford logo with to match the color of the truck? Did you get a color match done or just eyeball it and get close?

Thanks
E

Trevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
What kind of paint did you use? I know it sounds like a silly question!

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Very nice!!! Also, love the color of your truck...lol. I have the same exact one (XLT Sport 4x4). Also got the same Husky liners that you put in and I'm impressed with them so far.

Question: What color did you paint the Ford logo with to match the color of the truck? Did you get a color match done or just eyeball it and get close?

Thanks
E
What kind of paint did you use? I know it sounds like a silly question!
I used Krylon Fusion Aluminum Metallic and Gloss black. I really wasn’t trying to match. Just wanted something to stand out and look clean.

2648B57B-105A-4B94-82F0-72AD6118505E.jpeg

A113906B-9817-46E9-9970-16E0BBB3D103.png

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Thanks for the write up, much appreciated!

robear14

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I finally got mine done after multiple issues and recoats...

My first mistake was breaking off the little dot that goes inside the cursive F. Luckily some superglue got it back on fine. Then I didn't wait long enough for the black lacquer to dry before putting it back together so I had a bunch of finger prints embedded into the paint. I decided to take it apart again to repaint and in doing so, I snapped off the portion of the oval that forms the background of the upper-left section of the F. So more superglue, some more wet-sanding, and more coats of paint, and I finally got it to where I'm ok with it.

I found a blue glitter Krylon paint that looks really close to the Lightning Blue paint when it's applied over a black base. For some reason though, it kind of crinkled when I topcoated it with clear lacquer. The base that holds the emblem and camera was sprayed with black plastidip.
rear emblem.jpg

Ranger 4 Play

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Any regrets on glossy?
Was thinking about blacking out all but lettering as robear14 did, but debating gloss vs satin.
Thoughts?
These all look amazing!

robear14

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Any regrets on glossy?
Was thinking about blacking out all but lettering as robear14 did, but debating gloss vs satin.
Thoughts?
These all look amazing!
The only issue I've had with glossy spray paint is that it shows every imperfection and dust particle that might touch while it's drying. A matte or even a satin finish will give you more room for error. The black lacquer I used was already glossy, but I lightly wetsanded it with 2000 grit before applying a clear gloss coat and it appears even glossier afterwards, even closer to a mirror finish. The key thing is to be patient between coats and give it a lot of time to dry before touching anything.
I didn't mention it before, but I actually bought a new emblem for the project since I would have otherwise had it off for multiple days... and in case I royally messed up, I'd have a spare ?.

blackcat5RS

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Patience was not my friend on this one. Just bought the magnetic ones of ebay already painted lol

Ranger 4 Play

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Patience was not my friend on this one. Just bought the magnetic ones of ebay already painted lol
Patience is key on this project!!!
Took me 3 days, used satin krylon.
Broke the silver post on the back, fashioned a new one for the metal clip out of epoxy. Dropped pieces while wet, had to strip multiple times with acetone to start fresh. Turned out great but geez don't trick yourself into thinking this is a 4 hour project like I did

20200609_125227.jpg

20200609_020221.jpg

Kjwflippin

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
How have the emblems been holding up to driving? Any chips or anything? I'm assuming you purchased them from joe1966fairline since he is the only one I've seen doing custom painted emblems.
Sponsored