First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Super Crew
Occupation
retired
How have the emblems been holding up to driving? Any chips or anything? I'm assuming you purchased them from joe1966fairline since he is the only one I've seen doing custom painted emblems.
Painted them myself so far holding up great no problems.
Sponsored

RARE5.0

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew Fx4 1988 Mustang Notch 5.0
20200927_160627.jpg

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
Did my grille emblem this afternoon after checking out this thread. It was tricky, but the info in here helped me out a lot. Quite happy with the result, but it was frustrating and tedious, it took way longer than I thought it would. I'll do the tailgate emblem tomorrow afternoon.

PXL_20200928_032706033.jpg

RARE5.0

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew Fx4 1988 Mustang Notch 5.0
What paint did you use? I'm looking to do something similar to this.
I went to a automotive paint supply store and had them mix the paint code in a spray can

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
Alright here’s a quick down dirty as to how to remove the rear tailgate Ford emblem.

Tools needed:
7mm socket
25 torx
Drill with different sized bits
Your favorite spray paint
Small flat head screw driver

1) Use small flat screw driver and find the little hole opening right above the rear camera. Insert screwdriver and lift up which will cause the Ford emblem to pop out.

2) Use 7mm socket to remove two bolts holding the camera housing. It will come off when you pull it. Then take off connector going to the camera.

3) Use your 25 torx to remove the latch holding the camera in. The camera is held in by the tabs on the side. Be careful with these tabs they are very fragile. The camera should pop out once you move the tabs.

4) Paint camera housing to your choice of color.

5) Now the intimidating part. You will need your drill and bits to screw out the plastic fasteners holding the Ford emblem together. I followed this video and worked out great!

6) Once removed you can paint to your color of choice. For the most part everything clips back together. The only thing I had to glue in place was the very back piece that fills in the color d and i.

I highly recommend taking your time with this project and letting the paint dry for at least an hour before touching. I was in a rush and didn’t turn out perfect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

812B8DAA-7721-4BA0-A54F-D1CA415976FF.jpeg

FB734FF3-FDD4-4581-B4E5-003EBBDB8DD2.jpeg

B529AA0C-4C96-4542-B0A7-6C171A8A8905.jpeg

C0830383-9447-4FBA-B03C-BC0D9FA73E84.jpeg

FB707ADD-9981-4883-B46F-66185264F491.jpeg

C0832F37-EBF9-4F85-A845-3931BF472F27.jpeg

A4109760-8793-4EFD-9BE9-BD79F65C06FF.jpeg
Looks nice.

Taykel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Self Employed
What paint did you use? I'm looking to do something similar to this.
Just order one. U can get them from Amazon . And not have to worry about painting it

ak47p

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Ford Sales Representative
Alright here’s a quick down dirty as to how to remove the rear tailgate Ford emblem.

Tools needed:
7mm socket
25 torx
Drill with different sized bits
Your favorite spray paint
Small flat head screw driver

1) Use small flat screw driver and find the little hole opening right above the rear camera. Insert screwdriver and lift up which will cause the Ford emblem to pop out.

2) Use 7mm socket to remove two bolts holding the camera housing. It will come off when you pull it. Then take off connector going to the camera.

3) Use your 25 torx to remove the latch holding the camera in. The camera is held in by the tabs on the side. Be careful with these tabs they are very fragile. The camera should pop out once you move the tabs.

4) Paint camera housing to your choice of color.

5) Now the intimidating part. You will need your drill and bits to screw out the plastic fasteners holding the Ford emblem together. I followed this video and worked out great!

6) Once removed you can paint to your color of choice. For the most part everything clips back together. The only thing I had to glue in place was the very back piece that fills in the color d and i.

I highly recommend taking your time with this project and letting the paint dry for at least an hour before touching. I was in a rush and didn’t turn out perfect. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

I can't figure out step one...? Lol. Like I'm not an idiot but I just don't understand how putting in a small screw driver and pulling up is going to pop out the emblem?? Is there a clip? I've tried to do this about 4-5 times and can't figure it out.

EDIT Nvm I'm just being a panzi.

Progress pics. Doing 4 layers with 1 hour dry time and 2 clear coats with 1 hour dry on first coat then 24 on next coat.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Ca

I can't figure out step one...? Lol. Like I'm not an idiot but I just don't understand how putting in a small screw driver and pulling up is going to pop out the emblem?? Is there a clip? I've tried to do this about 4-5 times and can't figure it out.
Use the screwdriver to start to pry up, then use a trim tool to leverage the rest of the way off. It takes a bit of force, try popping the LH side 1st then the right. There are 2 pins that hold it on.

And here are my paint results
Front
1626629831881.png

Rear
1626629859108.png

Rear painted compared to vinyl overlay. The overlay was actually pretty nice, but I wanted to get rid of all the reaming chrome.
1626629946294.png

Last edited:

ak47p

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
4 Coats and 1 clear coat so far. Went with Matte Black for previous chrome accents/Ford Lettering and Jet Fighter Metallic Grey for Emblem Background and tiny oval. After this 1st clear coat dries I'm going to assemble it, clear coat it again when assembled, let it dry for 2 hours agaon, then do another coat and let it cure for all day tomorrow. My vehicle is getting acid washed and ceramic coating tomorrow so I'm just going to keep the entire emblem off for the day and let it cure for 24 hours

1st Coat - Let sit for 1 hour (Repeat 4 times)
1st coat2.jpg

4th coat2.jpg

4th Coat
4th coat.jpg
1st coat.jpg

1st Clear coat (Let sit for 2 hours then put front plate back together)
1st clear.jpg
1st clear2.jpg

Close up of everything put back together for the front emblem.
2nd clear.jpg

2nd clear2.jpg

Added another clear coat to the entire front plate while it's put together, also the backround, and I'm letting that sit for 12 hours. Will do another spray and let it sit for 24 hours before I reattach it all!

Thanks for the tips! :D

Last edited:

ak47p

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Done and done...

Removing went excellent other then the fact I was too scared to pry. But it went well!
Painting went excellent.
Putting it back went excellent.
Adding "taps" of glue went excellent.
Finding out the glue you purchased was expanding went horrific.
Sanding/Picking out expanded glue from FRONT of emblem saddened me more.
Applying 3 Clear Coats went execellent.
Applying Ceramic Coating went execellent.

Overall results 7/10. Would have been 10/10 if I didn't mess up the glue. gonna have to touch up the F and the O where the paint continued to expand even after I cleaned it, and clear coated it.

Face to face - only I and a keen eye will catch
Facing my rear when you're in a car - looks brilliant. Very happy!

Suggestion to everyone.

Read your glue label. Don't use expanding glue.

20210719_145240.jpg
Sponsored