First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
my dealer told me a couple weeks ago that the part is on back order. i don't think it is. just checked and i can get it from many sources. why do dealers suck?
Sponsored

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
This past weekend I finally decided to do something about the clunk/thunk I was feeling in the drivetrain when stopping / starting (i.e., when coming to a stop light). The most common culprit for this issue is a slip joint in your drive shaft that needs to be lubricated. I could not find any good guides / videos on how to do this procedure on our trucks, so I filmed the process to share here. Hopefully this is useful to some other forum members:

I'll mention that I'd never lubricated a driveshaft slip joint, so I may not have done some things perfectly. I'd love to hear if I could have done something better.

This completely eliminated the thunk/clunk I was experiencing when coming to a complete stop and then pulling away again.
So far, no clunk, no grease required! Sure hope I don’t need that job. Too old for that and that’s the reason I bought new; so as not to have to do mechanical work. Hope this, my first Ford, doesn’t let me down. I’ve always been a Bowtie man,

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So far, no clunk, no grease required! Sure hope I don’t need that job. Too old for that and that’s the reason I bought new; so as not to have to do mechanical work. Hope this, my first Ford, doesn’t let me down. I’ve always been a Bowtie man,

I know what you're saying (I’ve always been a Bowtie man) because I've always been a Ford man. But it seems like now with all the parts shortages and lack of workers there's really not one stand out auto manufacturer out there out of the big 3. They're all having QC problems now so even if yours develops this I wouldn't get to discouraged just yet. It could be worse, have you seen all the problems with the new Bronco? :shock::lipssealed:

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend I finally decided to do something about the clunk/thunk I was feeling in the drivetrain when stopping / starting (i.e., when coming to a stop light). The most common culprit for this issue is a slip joint in your drive shaft that needs to be lubricated. I could not find any good guides / videos on how to do this procedure on our trucks, so I filmed the process to share here. Hopefully this is useful to some other forum members:

I'll mention that I'd never lubricated a driveshaft slip joint, so I may not have done some things perfectly. I'd love to hear if I could have done something better.

This completely eliminated the thunk/clunk I was experiencing when coming to a complete stop and then pulling away again.
Very nice vid. How do you lift the rear to put on stands?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Very nice vid. How do you lift the rear to put on stands?
I used a hydraulic floor jack to lift right at the center of the bottom of the rear diff, then placed jack stands under the rear axle out near the wheel on each side, then lowered the jack.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to have the TSB number?
Sorry I do not. I think if you go to your service advisor and tell them you have a clunking when stopping and you understand there is a TSB on it, then they will admit to it. If not let me know and I’ll ask my service advisor.

Last edited:

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
Very nice work.

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
Good job on this and does anyone remember when universal joints had grease zerks for greasing those?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Good job on this and does anyone remember when universal joints had grease zerks for greasing those?
I remember when "lubed for life" suspension components came out. Years later we wonder were they better or just cheaper an wear out faster to give your service dept some work.

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Absolute Black Ranger
Occupation
Aviation

I just performed this maintenance item this weekend. Have driven the truck about 35 mines since and the occasional thunk/clunk is gone. Thanks for the tip and the video.

YYCRanger

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I used a hydraulic floor jack to lift right at the center of the bottom of the rear diff, then placed jack stands under the rear axle out near the wheel on each side, then lowered the jack.
View attachment 115870
Ford doesn’t like that:
56ED0368-02F9-40BA-A549-36694B63F27F.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I can't find that grease anywhere around here.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet

Picture says a thousand words, but a video is priceless!! ;) Thanks for taking the time to video and share :like:
Sponsored