how far is your dealer out for appointments?

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped in today to get an appointment for my two recalls and to check the HVAC system. Earliest appointment was a month out. Ugh.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wanted to get the actuator fixed on my dual climate control. The dealer told me I had to drop it off for a week just so they could look at it. Then to fix it was another 7-10 business days and that's they can get the parts. Needless to say I did it myself and just pulled the actuator out in an hour this morning and rotated the knob to get AC. I doubt I'll waste my time getting it fixed as we have very little need for heat here plus I can always manually adjust it if needed. Any regular maintenance I get done at my local Brakes Plus. I know the manager there and can usually get in within a day or two and know that whatever they do will be done right.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Does not matter when the appt is scheduled. My dealer will take in truck, then park it for a week before they even look at it.

At least, that's what my dealer did. In April I booked an appt for May 4 to get the battery tested, check the trans fluid level, apply a TSB for programming TCM and ECM, and check the angles on the driveshaft to finally deal with the start up shudder. Dropped the truck promptly at the appt time. Was told they likely could not look at it for about a week, but that they had to keep the truck until then.

If they could not get to it for a week, what the heck is the use in even having an appointment?

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
My wait for my last check and service was 3 weeks.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
2 weeks is normal for the dealer I use......

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Does not matter when the appt is scheduled. My dealer will take in truck, then park it for a week before they even look at it.

At least, that's what my dealer did. In April I booked an appt for May 4 to get the battery tested, check the trans fluid level, apply a TSB for programming TCM and ECM, and check the angles on the driveshaft to finally deal with the start up shudder. Dropped the truck promptly at the appt time. Was told they likely could not look at it for about a week, but that they had to keep the truck until then.

If they could not get to it for a week, what the heck is the use in even having an appointment?
This seems to be another "new normal" going on with dealers now. Why take someone's vehicle and NOT look at it for a week? There's no reason they cant just make an appointment and look at then, I've never had this happen before until now. Plus they have no loaners and I need my truck for work so basically I'm screwed now if I need warranty work.

There's no way I can drop mine off for a week just to have it sit there. The they said it could be another 10-14 days to do the repairs so 3 weeks without my truck? :facepalm: Also I'm not taking the chance of something happening to it as there's been a lot of theft here lately and it'll more than likely be parked outside the whole time.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Even for oil changes I am 7-14 days out depending on what time of the month I aim for.

early month 7 days. end of month 14 days. (state inspections so they book up more towards the end of the month)

Dealers suck, if they make their most money from service work, then why don't they focus on that?

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
Even for oil changes I am 7-14 days out depending on what time of the month I aim for.

early month 7 days. end of month 14 days. (state inspections so they book up more towards the end of the month)

Dealers suck, if they make their most money from service work, then why don't they focus on that?
I explain to my customers that it's like going to the bank and you have 14 people in line ahead of you. Do you bully and whine your way to the front of the line or are you now number 15? We take in "stand-by" appointments in case of a no-show, wrong parts etc. But you have to be willing to leave your vehc. Emergency repairs, stranded travelers etc Sucks, but you have to be fair to the people who made appts. 2 weeks ahead of you. A dealer doesn't get paid until the vehc is completed and gone. Nothing to be gained by letting it just sit there if a tech is avail and parts are not an issue.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I scheduled an appointment to check out my "No GPS" issue on my Ranger - was 3 weeks out. For oil changes, I use their (stand alone) Quick Lane service center. Depending on the time of day, I might have to wait a couple of hours.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
For Quick Lane, 3 - 4 days. As others said, for something other, 3 -4 weeks before they can take a look.
As AzScorpion said, I'm not leaving my truck there for 2 - 3 weeks just to look at it, then another 2 -3 weeks for repair IF parts are available, especially for something that is not a drivability issue. They could plan things out better.
Make an appointment for 3 weeks out.
I'll drop it off on that day.
They take a look, tell me the prognosis and when can they get parts and time to repair.
If it's another 3 weeks, I'll return then and they can keep it for a day or two to fix.

They are making a 2 - 3-hour repair into a 4 - 6-week affair.

Reactions: R_B

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Is this a recent thing or is it just in heavily populated areas? Mine has always been quick. I sat in the waiting room for the 10k service and the 5100s install took two days. It did take a week for them to find me an air filter.

If the dealer told me that it's gonna sit for a week I'd tell them I'd bring it back in a week. That's crazy.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Is this a recent thing or is it just in heavily populated areas? Mine has always been quick. I sat in the waiting room for the 10k service and the 5100s install took two days. It did take a week for them to find me an air filter.

If the dealer told me that it's gonna sit for a week I'd tell them I'd bring it back in a week. That's crazy.
It seems to be a recent thing with C-19 and being short handed. And I was told that because new vehicles prices have sky rocketed, more people are opting to repair vehicles rather than buy a new one.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It seems to be a recent thing with C-19 and being short handed. And I was told that because new vehicles prices have sky rocketed, more people are opting to repair vehicles rather than buy a new one.
I meant recent as in this year. Everyone here ignored C19 for the most part. There are some signs the market will crash for used cars soon too.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4

Did they give you a loaner?
Sponsored