First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
This past weekend I finally decided to do something about the clunk/thunk I was feeling in the drivetrain when stopping / starting (i.e., when coming to a stop light). The most common culprit for this issue is a slip joint in your drive shaft that needs to be lubricated. I could not find any good guides / videos on how to do this procedure on our trucks, so I filmed the process to share here. Hopefully this is useful to some other forum members:

I'll mention that I'd never lubricated a driveshaft slip joint, so I may not have done some things perfectly. I'd love to hear if I could have done something better.

This completely eliminated the thunk/clunk I was experiencing when coming to a complete stop and then pulling away again.
Sponsored

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
its funny but I had to do that to my 2005 F150 as well...I'd use a good high temp red grease and it would be fine for a few years. then it would start clunking about again and I'd "rinse and repeat"

I see I have a job for mine - thought I was just having a flashback from my old truck :) lol

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This past weekend I finally decided to do something about the clunk/thunk I was feeling in the drivetrain when stopping / starting (i.e., when coming to a stop light). The most common culprit for this issue is a slip joint in your drive shaft that needs to be lubricated. I could not find any good guides / videos on how to do this procedure on our trucks, so I filmed the process to share here. Hopefully this is useful to some other forum members:

I'll mention that I'd never lubricated a driveshaft slip joint, so I may not have done some things perfectly. I'd love to hear if I could have done something better.

This completely eliminated the thunk/clunk I was experiencing when coming to a complete stop and then pulling away again.
Hi Kimball,

Nicely done! Kudos!

best,
Phil

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Only thing I would add is to be as liberal with the LocTite as you were with the grease, otherwise excellent job.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Only thing I would add is to be as liberal with the LocTite as you were with the grease, otherwise excellent job.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to get in there and do this job again. I do plan to double-check the torque after about 100 miles or so - just to make sure things are still tight. Thanks!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like fun...I wanna do this even though I don't have clunking issue... ?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I read the first five words of the title and spit out my coffee! :LOL: :LOL:
Good video though....
I tried really hard to avoid innuendo while filming... The jokes practically wrote themselves. ;-)

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to get in there and do this job again. I do plan to double-check the torque after about 100 miles or so - just to make sure things are still tight. Thanks!
From where did you order the boot? Just to be clear, that package did include the 2 clamps also?

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

Great video! Suggestion…put a screwdriver in one of the bolt holes to keep the driveshaft from dropping while removing the last bolt. ??

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Great video! Suggestion…put a screwdriver in one of the bolt holes to keep the driveshaft from dropping while removing the last bolt. ??
Great idea - thanks!

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)