Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will have to admit I would check my oil semi regularly after an oil change to make sure the level was correct. Then not so often. I always figured no leaks don't see it smoking no need to check it. Then I saw the fuel in oil thread & got obsessed with checking it. I'm wore out. Ford recommends checking it once a month so that's what I am going back too. What about you? :)
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will have to admit I would check my oil semi regularly after an oil change to make sure the level was correct. Then not so often. I always figured no leaks don't see it smoking no need to check it. Then I saw the fuel in oil thread & got obsessed with checking it. I'm wore out. Ford recommends checking it once a month so that's what I am going back too. What about you? :)
Hi Larry,

I check it from time to time when I think about it....since it shows no worries and the oil on the stick looks fine...I do not worry. My non catch can motor sees to do just fine at this juncture...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
once a month...... :like:

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Monthly.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Usually after reading a fuel in oil thread in here.

I had the high oil an fuel smell early on. After the first oil change it seems fine. I still check it once every other week or so.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Once a week... until I Unwatch the Fuel in Oil thread !

Level has been at the top hole every check, even after first oil/filter change.

Relieved that I am not experiencing rising oil levels adds to my Ranger smiles. :)

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Once a week... until I Unwatch the Fuel in Oil thread !

Level has been at the top hole every check, even after first oil/filter change.

Relieved that I am not experiencing rising oil levels adds to my Ranger smiles. :)
Same here! That darn "Fuel in Oil" thread has me watching it like a hawk.

I have confirmed that on my Ranger the oil level rises with short trips. The oil level is stable with highway driving. Our Minnesota cold weather makes the short trip problem worse.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
After i changed it- once or twice, then on gas fill ups here and there. not close to every fill up.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Not driving it a lot lately, so I only check the oil once a month, maybe.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I never check my oil, but I do change it every Spring and every Fall. Fresh oil for winter and fresh oil for summer.

Avanti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I seem to have a difficult time checking my oil. I usually have oil all the way up the stick each time I attempt. Once in a while i get a discernible reading at the upper dot. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I did feel my oil level had risen once and got an early oil change. Thought I smelled gas also. The service department collected the oil to show me it was the proper volume. They also said it didn’t smell like gas. I smelled the new oil and it smelled the same as it did before. I felt pretty dumb and paranoid.

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
I seem to have a difficult time checking my oil. I usually have oil all the way up the stick each time I attempt. Once in a while i get a discernible reading at the upper dot. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I did feel my oil level had risen once and got an early oil change. Thought I smelled gas also. The service department collected the oil to show me it was the proper volume. They also said it didn’t smell like gas. I smelled the new oil and it smelled the same as it did before. I felt pretty dumb and paranoid.
Avanti - In my experience oil creeping up the stick is common not only in my Ranger but just about every engine large or small. I don't know if it "splashes" up there or is due to capillary action because you have small space between the dipstick and the tube it fits in. It's nothing you're doing wrong. It's can definitely be annoying.

A few tips to avoid it:

1) Gravity solves the problem. Check your oil after the engine has been off for awhile. This allows all of the oil to settle back down into the pan and give you a "true" reading. Generally the oil that creeps up the stick settles nicely as well. First thing in the morning before you start the engine is a great time to check the oil if you think of it. Usually the first reading you get when you pull the stick is going to be the most accurate of the day.

2) If I'm at the gas station filling up I will often pop the hood and pull the stick first so the oil can settle for a few minutes while I'm filling. This makes it easier to get an accurate reading and seems to eliminate the oil creeping up the stick. If you set the stick on your fan shroud or such while filling just be sure to wipe it good and clean before inserting to get rid of any sand or grit it might have picked up.

3) Even without waiting for the oil to settle I find if I pull and wipe the stick, insert it again and just wiggle it up and down in the tube a few times (only an inch or two) it's enough to break up the oil creep and give me a decent reading when I pull it.

I hope this helps!

For what it's worth the oil in every engine I've had including the Ranger seems to smell like gas in my opinion.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Since my truck is over 50k and has never shown any sign of leakage or burning oil, I only check the level after oil change...anything catastrophic happens between changes, the oil light will let me know... ?

Last edited:

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
i was every couple thousand miles. over 20 k miles now i pretty much stopped checking it .have been at same dealer having it changed every 4k miles .they ordered center armrest at last visit.(under warrantee for coming untucked from edge.) truck is best vehicle i have ever owned!! so far so good!!
Sponsored