Check your transmission fluid

RangerPhx

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor 4X4
A better way to do it and keep from having to deal with scalding hot exhaust components is to do the check cold. As long as the level is at the lower end of acceptable cold, it will be in the completely acceptable range hot.

This would be really great…unfortunately at least for me, checking it cold has not given consistent readings. Sometimes it reads higher or lower on the dipstick cold depending probably on how much the torque converter wants to give up after each run. This is just what I have experienced. Maybe as a baseline, if you just changed your filter and fluid and had not run it yet, it could be a valuable read, but I’m not confident I would trust it otherwise.
Sponsored

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
This would be really great…unfortunately at least for me, checking it cold has not given consistent readings. Sometimes it reads higher or lower on the dipstick cold depending probably on how much the torque converter wants to give up after each run. This is just what I have experienced. Maybe as a baseline, if you just changed your filter and fluid and had not run it yet, it could be a valuable read, but I’m not confident I would trust it otherwise.
You're doing it with the engine running yes?

That's the only difference in procedure is that you're doing it after starting and running through forward/reverse/park, then check. Before the truck and trans has come up to temp.

RangerPhx

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor 4X4
From what I have read (I am no expert or engineer), the torque converter capacity has a fixed volume and that depending on the temperature of the fluid, more or less will be be in the pan. Maybe that’s why it gives different readings in the cold/warm temp ranges. When it reaches full operating temperature, fluid expansion is at its maximum so that would give a consistent reading. I sure would rather check it “warm” though…not the most pleasant experience for sure with it so blazing hot. I did end up using the Kevlar sleeves that another owner recommended above…I doubled them up on my left arm. Made a marked difference on comfort level.
Sponsored