First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Occupation
Retired LEO
I am notorious for pushing the limits on my gas tank and have run out of fuel in some spectacular places! I like to know my limits. How low can you go? What does the display show when you reach zero? How much fuel can the tank actually hold?

Display shows 2 miles to empty, gas pump shut off at 18.3 gallons.

91B210EF-1A2B-4CEC-9F2A-F4F4928E606A.jpeg
I pushed the limit on my first fill up. Never did run out but I put 20.2 gallons in it. ?
Sponsored

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
There is fuel remaining beyond zero miles by design. Ford knows people will lose a few heart beats worrying about their fuel status once they see "miles to empty" get close to zero so they've provided a little cushion. The "extra" fuel also ensures the fuel pump remains cool when the level get low. Running out or beyond zero too many times may cause the pump to fail at some point - an expensive repair and it will never fail in your driveway. It's just a good habit to keep your tank topped off. The last thing you want to do is wait in line for gas if there is a natural disaster or you need to get out of Dodge for some reason.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
WOW! I think the light came on twice with this truck, filled up mins later.
I hate going under half now as the cost will be over 100$. We're just not
used to that, having had a Mazda2 & other fuel efficient vehicles. It's a learning experience LOL.
That's some funny math right there.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Nothing is getting past the filters running the fuel that low, or else the majority of the population would have to regularly replace their injectors lol.

It's also not as hard on the pump as people believe.. especially If it's a return style system.

All that being said... I'm not sure how many miles past 0 I've driven exactly... but the most fuel I've ever put in it was like 19.3 or 19.4 gallons.

I've always taken all my vehicles right to 0 before I fill up.. and the only pump I've ever had to replace was due to a lack of due diligence. (Bought used tank off ebay, didn't bother to make sure tank was clean before install, new 400+hp pump sucked up a leaf)

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
This thread gives me anxiety! When I'm on the road, I start looking for a gas station just after it goes below 100. Not with the Ranger, but the lowest I've ever gotten was down to about 20 miles in very remote areas of New Mexico. Was not a good day.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Gas purchases are a lot like early pension eligibility.
Had a broke room mate when I was going to tech school. He showed up one evening with a double duece and a pack of smokes.

We all asked him where he got the money for beer. "Wrote a hot check."
Was his explanation.

The next 3 evenings he showed up with the same combo, acquired the same way. He thought I was a genius when I suggested he should've just wrote one hot check for a case and a carton and only pay that hot check fee once.

When discussing these types of justifications that people make me and my manager call it "loser math."

"Oop, there's a Holiday on the pay period. All the loser mathematicians will be calling off this week."

While "I'm gonna fill up at half way so I spend less in gas" isn't quite loser math. It certainly is funny.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I am notorious for pushing the limits on my gas tank and have run out of fuel in some spectacular places! I like to know my limits. How low can you go? What does the display show when you reach zero? How much fuel can the tank actually hold?

Display shows 2 miles to empty, gas pump shut off at 18.3 gallons.

91B210EF-1A2B-4CEC-9F2A-F4F4928E606A.jpeg
No thx. This experience thrilles way too much if u drive a diesel. ?

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
What I would give to spend $100 a week on fuel…

how big are the tanks in these anyway?