How is the OEM fuel tank skid plate mounted?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I was able to snag a couple shots of a friends manual showing this about fuel tank. Sort of lets you know what to expect?

1616256988787.png

1616257044110.png

1616257095989.png
So the fuel tank skid plate is mounted directly to the two straps that hold the tank up under the truck ???
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So the fuel tank skid plate is mounted directly to the two straps that hold the tank up under the truck ???
Yes sir. This is quite normal for "most" factory fuel tanks. On the aftermarket it may be similar or different depending on the company.

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT supercab 4x4 Sport
Occupation
RN
A few months ago, I bought a fx gas tank skid plate. Today I went to install it.
I found that was not going be an easy install

Hoping to go to Lowe’s tomorrow
Buy bolts
Support the tank and drop the bolt from the top.
Hoping there will be room to the head of the bolts. Fingers crossed.
Hope to go by straps with a stud in it.
I’m a more of a mall crawler than I am an off roader.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
A few months ago, I bought a fx gas tank skid plate. Today I went to install it.

Buy bolts
Just be aware that the fuel tank skid plate is not FX4 exclusive. It came on my truck and it is simply a 4x4 sport

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab

Buy bolts
Based on some concerns raised on this forum on crash safety, I ended up getting the proper fuel tank brackets, with integrated studs: I didn't want to risk a normal hardware store bolt pushing up and through the fuel tank, causing a rupture/explosion/etc.

Presumably they designed the fuel-tank skid plate straps with crash safety in mind, and I didn't want to risk anything.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
This makes it look like it would be an easy swap to go from plastic skid to metal skid if one is made. I'm sure that gets into safety issues though
Exactly; agreed. Actually, originally I was planning to mount a metal skid plate as well, until Phil and others on this forum pointed out the testing / puncture criteria for fuel tanks in crashes.
Ie non-Ford metal skid plates could "can-opener" the fuel tank in a crash, whereas the plastic one could not. Ford tests with the current plastic one, and presumably designed them correctly for this vehicle.

It seemed important enough of a concern (at least for me) to not risk it.

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
this is the front bracket

KB3Z-9054-B

I am unable to locate the rear bracket.
I think maybe I have found it.... going to order and let ya know....

Presently, I'm looking for the OEM Nuts...
I know i can go to LOWE's and get nuts & washers.... and they would work... but I want OEM....

IMG_4041.jpg

KB3Z-9054-B​
Fuel Tank Strap​

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I wasn't able to find OEM nuts...and stores didn't know either. But, they're not holding a large load anyway, so I think anything would work. I used M8 locknuts with fender washers, and they work fine (at least, it seems like they do :) ).

BobKnake1968

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Kind of figured.
Presently I have the front strap and the tank skid plate. The rear strap is on order. Hopefully in the next 2 to 3 weeks I’ll be able to get it mounted finally.

I will have to keep an eye out for some flanged locknuts. I may have to resort to McMaster Carr. Or maybe Fastenal. Are used to have a friend that worked at Fastenal and get me everything I wanted to samples. But that was a lot of years ago. We will see

I wasn't able to find OEM nuts...and stores didn't know either. But, they're not holding a large load anyway, so I think anything would work. I used M8 locknuts with fender washers, and they work fine (at least, it seems like they do :) ).

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Kind of figured.
Presently I have the front strap and the tank skid plate. The rear strap is on order. Hopefully in the next 2 to 3 weeks I’ll be able to get it mounted finally.

I will have to keep an eye out for some flanged locknuts. I may have to resort to McMaster Carr. Or maybe Fastenal. Are used to have a friend that worked at Fastenal and get me everything I wanted to samples. But that was a lot of years ago. We will see
Just did a quick lookup for metric flange nuts. Just need to know the size and order away. https://www.mcmaster.com/flange-nut...-type~metric/thread-size~m10/nut-type~flange/

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I am an idiot, maybe I should look under my truck before I purchase things. I have a 4x4... I also have a spare fuel tank skid plate if the case is that there is one :headbang: I wonder if @BobKnake1968 ever got the right straps and part numbers.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
100% I am adding a steel skid plate to my fuel tank. I don't see any reason to remove the factory "plate" though. I'll build around it and attach to the frame with 1/4" air gap between the old and new plates. Nothing will be attached to the tank, straps, or strap mounts..

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
So it turns out.... 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 does not have a fuel skid plate. Thank the lord I did not waste money. However, I found out I am in need of the OEM bolts... Since this thread was probably my only hope I shall go the route of M8 locknuts with fender washers like @jblc said. Just in case, is there different lengths for these M8 locknuts and which length do you recommend? And any washers that will go around will be okay, no specific ones? Sorry not very knowledgeable when it comes to things like this. :confused:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
So it turns out.... 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 does not have a fuel skid plate. Thank the lord I did not waste money. However, I found out I am in need of the OEM bolts... Since this thread was probably my only hope I shall go the route of M8 locknuts with fender washers like @jblc said. Just in case, is there different lengths for these M8 locknuts and which length do you recommend? And any washers that will go around will be okay, no specific ones? Sorry not very knowledgeable when it comes to things like this. :confused:
Personally I think I'd be getting the proper straps if I were going to add the plastic skid plate. Between the bolt heads bulging into the tank, securing the bolt without weakening the strap, and other fitment problems, I think the cost of the strap is probably worth it.

Good luck either way.
Sponsored