Ground Clearance Issues Below Skid Plate?

hksocal

First Name
Ean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else noticed the (prepare to see my lack of knowledge on the names of Ranger parts) struts/braces to the front differential and out to the wheels sticking below the skid plate. The brace connected to the differential is almost 2in below the skid plate. Picture below:

upload_2020-1-6_10-15-19.png

upload_2020-1-6_10-15-52.png

The brace connected to the differential is definitely the larger annoyance (first image above). You can even see the chunk a rock took out of it last weekend. I was hoping the skid plate would take the hits before anything on the frame.

Does everyone have this issue? Is this just a weakness of the design of the skid plates/truck? I ask because I feel like images of others undercarriage haven't had this and it would've come up that there was a fairly massive low point connected to the frame.

Are others worried about dinging this piece first consistently? Seems to limit the effectiveness of the skid plate to when your approach angle is too high and you're nosing in.

Thanks,

Ean
Sponsored

Last edited:

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Mine is all dinged up too. Nothing bent, but definitely scratched up pretty good. Maybe in the next year or two we'll see some more aftermarket skids for more protection, but until then, a slight lift and being careful is the way to go imo.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Its a pretty thick bracket on the bottom and after time im sure it would get messed up from impacts but from my trial running I haven't hit it yet on 3" of lift. Usually place my larger rocks on to the passenger side since the fuel tank is on the drivers side. I'd say lift the truck if you plant to off road more anyways.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Ground clearance from that brace is barely 9 inches - surprisingly low for a truck outfitted with an offroad package. I wonder if the Ford Performance kit (or any lift kit) in fact lifts this brace by the claimed height increase?

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Has anyone else noticed the (prepare to see my lack of knowledge on the names of Ranger parts) struts/braces to the front differential and out to the wheels sticking below the skid plate. The brace connected to the differential is almost 2in below the skid plate. Picture below:

upload_2020-1-6_10-15-19.png

upload_2020-1-6_10-15-52.png

The brace connected to the differential is definitely the larger annoyance (first image above). You can even see the chunk a rock took out of it last weekend. I was hoping the skid plate would take the hits before anything on the frame.

Does everyone have this issue? Is this just a weakness of the design of the skid plates/truck? I ask because I feel like images of others undercarriage haven't had this and it would've come up that there was a fairly massive low point connected to the frame.

Are others worried about dinging this piece first consistently? Seems to limit the effectiveness of the skid plate to when your approach angle is too high and you're nosing in.

Thanks,

Ean

It's your lower control arm mount. Mine got pretty banged up first trip off road when it was stock. Since the suspension's gone on, no issues bc the front end sits a fair bit higher, but it is the lowest point on the vehicle and clearing the skid does not mean you'll clear the LCA mounts (skid plate does not go beyond them because it can't because the lower control arm mounts with the caster bolts move around and adjust and until you get into race builds, etc where those are pinned, they need to have the ability to move).

Then once you damage an LCA mount getting your alignment perfect becomes difficult, ask me how I know. And on an IFS truck, that's an essential thing if you're hammering on it.

Basically just be careful at stock height to try to place everything right in the center of the vehicle or right under the tires.

All of the midsize trucks have a similar issue, it's something other aftermarkets have already built around where we as first year owners are learning what we need to make for this one.

IMG-6fb75ff26a42329cd9f30d0cf5f20c04-V.jpg

IMG-072543314ebdd0e3b2b1f1e9c7cbe83d-V.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i smacked that diff mount on a rock, hard. bowed in the steel about 1/4 inch. thankfully the truck didnt go down further on the rock or i would have been screwed. it sounded and felt like a we are walking home moment. that brace is stout and its your friend lol it was a good size rock hiding under water with ruts. i never saw the ruts and once i made it past the first one the drop in the second had the rock. even my passenger cringed and said ouch!!!
Sponsored