How far are we from a full electric and/or hybrid Ranger?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Don't get me wrong I like the EV ideology but where does everyone think the electricity/batteries are coming from? I have photovotaic on my house so the sun can provide me with energy but what about everywhere else. Power must be made to power these vehicles. Unless we cover the earth with solar panels, nuclear plants and wind turbines we will still be burning fuel. I don't have the answers but we are running not walking down a rabbit hole with this EV stuff. AND yes my wife drives a Subaru crosstrek hybrid.
Just like the transition from animal power to machine power (which is, even now, not complete) it will not happen all at once, or everywhere at once.
Sponsored

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
Don't get me wrong I like the EV ideology but where does everyone think the electricity/batteries are coming from? I have photovotaic on my house so the sun can provide me with energy but what about everywhere else. Power must be made to power these vehicles. Unless we cover the earth with solar panels, nuclear plants and wind turbines we will still be burning fuel. I don't have the answers but we are running not walking down a rabbit hole with this EV stuff. AND yes my wife drives a Subaru crosstrek hybrid.
Well here in Canada (specifically in the province of Quebec where I live) we have mostly hydro powered electricity and it's very inexpensive here compared to most other places, which got me thinking and I started this thread... :)

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Want to share predictions? Or maybe someone has some insider info, hehe ;)

From what I've read/seen, Ford has had pretty good, reliable tech in their hybrid cars (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm anxious to see how the F-150 Lightning does.

Cheers
Steven
About 50 miles in the desert without a plug in sight... ? ?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
About 50 miles in the desert without a plug in sight... ? ?
I've worked with dozens of building contractors that would never exhaust the battery of an F150 Lightning in the course of a work day, or even several work days. Remote off-road? Only if you bring a solar panel and can wait several weeks, or months, to recharge enough to get home. If you need to haul a generator, you should have bought a hybrid.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Want to share predictions? Or maybe someone has some insider info, hehe ;)

From what I've read/seen, Ford has had pretty good, reliable tech in their hybrid cars (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm anxious to see how the F-150 Lightning does.

Cheers
Steven
A country full of electric cars being charged by coal and natural gas.

Lol.

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A country full of electric cars being charged by coal and natural gas.

Lol.
Gosh I hope not! I know for myself, my home province generates 99.8% of its electricity from renewable sources, with 95.2% coming from hydro power (dams).

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Hydro is so politically incorrect in the US that we are removing more dams than we build.
Obama, in a speech on renewable energy, pointedly did not list it as such.
Being from Alaska, I always envied Canada for not being afraid to develop their resources.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Canada' s power generation. Here in BC we will soon start up another massive dam for future power needs. Site C Dam.

Energy in Canada@2x.png

OP
OP

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canada' s power generation. Here in BC we will soon start up another massive dam for future power needs. Site C Dam.

Energy in Canada@2x.png
Interesting map! I wonder if NB & NS are looking into moving to wind power

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Hydro is so politically incorrect in the US that we are removing more dams than we build.
dams aren't looking like a big winner right now in much of the US; hoover's generating capacity is down significantly because of the drought, and oroville (tallest dam in the US) shut down for the first time this year due to lack of water. maybe it makes sense somewhere with fewer water supply problems, but even then silting and other problems make them far from slam-dunk solutions. at any rate the options for a place with a lot of mostly empty space, a lot of water, and rugged terrain differ from most of the US where you have empty space with no water, wet areas that are flat, or wet and hilly areas that are populated.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
dams aren't looking like a big winner right now in much of the US; hoover's generating capacity is down significantly because of the drought, and oroville (tallest dam in the US) shut down for the first time this year due to lack of water. maybe it makes sense somewhere with fewer water supply problems, but even then silting and other problems make them far from slam-dunk solutions. at any rate the options for a place with a lot of mostly empty space, a lot of water, and rugged terrain differ from most of the US where you have empty space with no water, wet areas that are flat, or wet and hilly areas that are populated.
The environmental constraints are the same in the lands bordering half of British Columbia and all of the Yukon Territory, yet Alaska cannot build new hydro.
All in the name of protecting the fish even if the drainage proposed basically has no fish.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Where's the development of hydrogen vehicles at. It seems like a suppressed technology. I see they are developing the technology for large Semi's. Are synthetic fuels cleaner.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase