how do i stop rockin like a boat?

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Bilstein 5100 all around. WORLD of difference. Even the lady in the passenger seat asked "what did you do, this rides great!?"
Do you have part/product number for rears?

Last edited:

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
As others have stated,a change of the rear shocks alone did wonders for reducing a large amount of the rocking boat.
ā€˜I used a pair of Rough Country shocks found on Amazon(so if I wasnā€™t happy with them,I could return them),they are still on the back of my truck until my Icon rear shocks show up.I was and still am very happy with them.

The stock shock package to be nice,is utter garbage on these trucks...
Do you have part/product number for Rough Country shocks?

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
I've only bought addons for my truck so far.
I can't justify buying new parts to replace brand new stuff! (Moneywise).
I plan, in the future, to replace the shocks with Eibachs, but for now I have no issues...

I will say this however.
The "rocking" or "wallowing" was there when I first test drove the Ranger. I actually went searching on the net to see if it was me. It wasn't enough to make me decide on a different truck. I think this Ranger is far superior to others, and it just looks so damn good!
When I took possession of my truck (Sept 10th 2020), I immediately noticed that the wallowing was almost non-existent.
The difference between the truck I tested and mine: the tires.
The test truck had Hankook Dynapro tires on it, and mine came in with Bridgestone Dueler tires. And the tires were over-inflated to 33 all around (not sure what pressure the test truck had).
I don't know if Ford made tweaks to the Ranger from the time I tested it, by the time I got mine (7 months wait!!!!!!!), but the only difference as far as I can see are the tires. BTW, the spare is the Hankook...
It's certainly good enough for me to wait until much later to do a suspension upgrade.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You donā€™t have to agree but it works great. After over 45 years in the automotive field Iā€™m fine with 4 or 5 lbs more air pressure which is still far below maximum pressure.

itā€™s an inexpensive way to get decent handling. As Floyd said above itā€˜s all a compromise. I am on the street 95% of the time.
An extra 5 psi will decrease tire life due to additional wear. You'll eventually notice that the tread wear in the center of the tire will be excessive, compared to the rest of the tread.

The placard on the truck tells you the correct pressure... for the oem tire... on the oem truck.

Last edited:

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
Don't worry about the suspension. Change your tires. The Hankook's on the FX4 have such a low load rating that they have a VERY soft sidewall. I put a tiny 0.5" level on my truck and Falken Wildpeaks and with the stock suspension the truck is fantastic. I can't believe what a difference the tires made in ride quality, I'm actually quite pleased and impressed with the stock suspension now and it saved me quite a bit instead of going all the way to Bilsteins or Fox Shocks.

I agree with others... I paid good money for the FX4 suspension... I'd like to at least give it a fighting chance if at all possible... but those Hankooks had to go.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
You could change the front and rear shocks. Or if that doesn't work try changing the rear and front shocks. Did I mention the shocks? ha!

I went with the Eibach's front and back raising the front 2.25". Huge difference in my opinion!

OP
OP

Krzydmnd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger Xlt
Vehicle Showcase
wnt w/ the fox 2.0 kit front and rear with 2.5 lift and grabber ATX in 265-70r17.

it's like a brand new truck from sport package (non fx4) to this!

wow, i'm in love w/ it all over again, lol.

thanks again for all of the feedback!
E13AD824-C2FE-4825-B542-6506E6C7B7CC_1_201_a.jpeg

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
An extra 5 psi will decrease tire life due to additional wear. You'll eventually notice that the tread wear in the center of the tire will be excessive, compared to the rest of the tread.

The placard on the truck tells you the correct pressure... for the oem tire... on the oem truck.
OMG. Iā€™ll take my chances. So you think the load/weight on the front tires is the same as the rear? Not even close. If anything 4 or 5 extra lbs in the front will keep the edges from wearing down from cornering. Yeah I get what the factory recommendation is. Iā€™ll live with my crazy decision to up the front pressure.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OMG. Iā€™ll take my chances. So you think the load/weight on the front tires is the same as the rear? Not even close. If anything 4 or 5 extra lbs in the front will keep the edges from wearing down from cornering. Yeah I get what the factory recommendation is. Iā€™ll live with my crazy decision to up the front pressure.
Do as you please. But folks need to know that what you are recommending has consequences.

I used to do exactly what you are stating, and when the tires wear they wear out in the center first. The last set of tires I bought I followed factory spec's and the wear was even and we got over 57,000 miles on those Hankook ATM's.

Also, the front and rear suspensions are totally different and the tire wear shows that... that's one of the biggest reasons why tire rotation is so important. I rotate ours every 4,000 miles.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Do the Fox 2.0 lif the front at all or are they factory height. Been thinking of getting them for the swaying boat reason as well but just don know if I still need my 2.5 front lift
Sponsored