Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Its my driver side fender.
Driver side has a little hood overhang and is touching the headlight.
Passenger side hood is flush and has 1/8" gap around the headlight.
Sponsored

Danny RN

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired Army/Registered Nurse.
I searched the forum for "hood alignment" but nothing really came up but if it's been discussed, I apologize for asking here.

When eye balling my hood, I kinda thought the hood has a gap left and right sides where it overhangs just a tad. Didn't really bother me though, still doesn't, thought maybe I was being a tad critical. I work with my brother (we have a company manufacturing aluminum truck caps) so lots of new trucks in and out. I park my truck out front at work and my brother just came in and commented, "Did you ever notice the hood on your truck? Doesn't look like it fits right, looks like they made the hood too big." Has anyone else noticed that about their truck? Like I said, doesn't bother me to where I'd ever even ask the Ford service department about it, just curious.
Mine is the same way. There are two parts of my Ranger with misalignment. The hood and then the tailgate has gaps. Also these are the two parts made from aluminum. I was laughed at before for mentioning it, but it does seem odd. Otherwise it is solid.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Its my driver side fender.
Driver side has a little hood overhang and is touching the headlight.
Passenger side hood is flush and has 1/8" gap around the headlight.
I had the same alignment issue too. That can be fixed by adjustment of the front bump stop on drivers side. About 1/4” higher and the gaps match up. The fender isn’t all that difficult to adjust. I found it’s easier with 2 people though. You have to pull pretty hard to get to the extreme adjustment refastening point

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same alignment issue too. That can be fixed by adjustment of the front bump stop on drivers side. About 1/4” higher and the gaps match up. The fender isn’t all that difficult to adjust. I found it’s easier with 2 people though. You have to pull pretty hard to get to the extreme adjustment refastening point
Hi Rick,

I was able to move the fenders outboard using a woodworking spreading tool and a 2x4 and moved my fenders out about ÂĽ" at the Horse Collar...

Best,
Phil

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I just had the gap issue and and little bump stop adjustment, problem solved. Weird it’s something an owner would see because you don’t look at both sides at the same time.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Hi Rick,

I was able to move the fenders outboard using a woodworking spreading tool and a 2x4 and moved my fenders out about ÂĽ" at the Horse Collar...

Best,
Phil
Ok Phil where is the horse collar? Do you have an Amish version?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ok Phil where is the horse collar? Do you have an Amish version?
Hi Andy,

Automotive term...it is the piece of the body that spans the front end and to which the radiator bolts...among other front end items like horns hood bumpers etc. Sorry....slipped on not explaining this....There is another thread or two on here where I inadvertently used the term....

Best,
Phil

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Hi Andy,

Automotive term...it is the piece of the body that spans the front end and to which the radiator bolts...among other front end items like horns hood bumpers etc. Sorry....slipped on not explaining this....There is another thread or two on here where I inadvertently used the term....

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil, I’ve been around horses and come from a family of Ford mechanics and racers. This is my first ever hearing it called that, usually front fender brace..

Learn something new everyday!!!

Andy

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Thanks Phil, I’ve been around horses and come from a family of Ford mechanics and racers. This is my first ever hearing it called that, usually front fender brace..

Learn something new everyday!!!

Andy
"Horse collar" isn't too bad (we always called it a "core support" ) @P. A. Schilke threw out the term "tumblehome" on us a while back , i thought he was full of it and said so in my own head , but the google confirmed , "tumblehome" , That sounds like what would happen if Tito got in the neighbors trash...

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
"Horse collar" isn't too bad (we always called it a "core support" ) @P. A. Schilke threw out the term "tumblehome" on us a while back , i thought he was full of it and said so in my own head , but the google confirmed , "tumblehome" , That sounds like what would happen if Tito got in the neighbors trash...
Everyone goes to google! ?
C12C1385-625A-4E7D-8BB4-B5461800F5F4.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

To throw out a couple more.... Wheel House... Folks call it a Wheel Well...nope...Wheel House. In the day, it was a Cigar Lighter. Not Cigarette Lighter. How about B&CPS? Brake and Clutch Pedal Support. Dash Panel...Not Firewall. Backlite...not Rear Window. Sidelite...not side window. Many more that may surface, but on my first Scotch tonight...

Best,
Phil

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
I just had the gap issue and and little bump stop adjustment, problem solved. Weird it’s something an owner would see because you don’t look at both sides at the same time.
Any good body shop guy would know it in a NY second walking by? That some have it and some don’t says tolerance stacks and possibly some settling after some use displays this difference. The fenders mounted with location to the inside max travel is an installer training issue. Quality really should be correcting that though.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I drove my Ranger today. Coming out of Costco, the light was just right and the hood looked really off, big overhang to the fender on the drivers side.

I got home and just had to check in the garage light (straight down light), perfectly aligned on both sides!

That is it for sure, no more checking and rechecking…. Maybe it is haunted?