First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
Hello what's everybody's view on bug hood shields...I like the low profile WeatherTech flush shield for 79.00....im iffy on it because I'm afraid it will discolor or rip the paint off after time....any insight or suggestions? Thks
Sponsored

Last edited:

GregP

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Customer Service
My commute to the office is about 90% interstate and I noticed the leading edge of the hood was starting to get a lot more stone/rock chips than I was really comfortable with. Like you I wanted something low-profile. I went with the AVS Aeroskin II (amazon ~$85). It used a healthy amount of 3M tape and these arent designed to be removed. Im pretty sure the Weathertech is installed the same way with 3M tape. AVS & Weathertech are two of the best brands available on the market today.

8F48FE96-265A-4847-833A-D521C5438B0D.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
My commute to the office is about 90% interstate and I noticed the leading edge of the hood was starting to get a lot more stone/rock chips than I was really comfortable with. Like you I wanted something low-profile. I went with the AVS Aeroskin II (amazon ~$85). It used a healthy amount of 3M tape and these arent designed to be removed. Im pretty sure the Weathertech is installed the same way with 3M tape. AVS & Weathertech are two of the best brands available on the market today.

Wow looks great...has it discolored or damaged anything underneath? Can u use a carwash with it?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

I had same put on my truck as part of the purchase from Ford. I have had great success with it as a bug (haven't seen anything else like rock, beavers, moose, people) flipper. I get only a one or two bug splat on a 200 mile trip via ag country at anytime of year. I think they get through as they are flying diagonal to my direction and it's just timing then.

Used to be (in my 2005 GMC with smoke Aeroskin smoked model) that just about everything wound up on the windshield.

Good luck to you with that great blue truck.:like:

GregP

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Customer Service
Wow looks great...has it discolored or damaged anything underneath? Can u use a carwash with it?
no worries at all about running it thru a carwash (instructions say its best to wait 24-48 hours before trying). Since the tape is designed to hold strong at interstate speeds you should be fine with just about any car wash as well.
No discoloration or damage underneath, but since its basically a giant sticker on the hood I dont have any reason to ever remove and check for discoloration.

Reactions: FoD

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Military
I got the bugflector because I didn't want to tape one on. I like.

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Civil Construction Estimator
I have the AVS, it uses the rivets that hold the weather stripping under the hood. No tape, doesn't require any drilling, and does not touch the actual exterior paint. Only thing it it is difficult to really clean behind it, but it is possible.

PXL_20210509_200833798.jpg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I put a front guard on my last truck (25 years ago) and it didn't do crap except scar the paint. I'm willing to be convinced. People here say they help with bugs. So, do they?

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Hello what's everybody's view on bug hood shields...I like the low profile WeatherTech flush shield for 79.00....im iffy on it because I'm afraid it will discolor or rip the paint off after time....any insight or suggestions? Thks
I also have the AVS Bugflector II. I did not want the stick on one. Check out this video by one of our forum members on the install process:

Also, some have had to adjust their latch, though mine only requires a slighter firmer close than before without adjusting the latch. Here’s a video for latch adjustment:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
I have the AVS, it uses the rivets that hold the weather stripping under the hood. No tape, doesn't require any drilling, and does not touch the actual exterior paint. Only thing it it is difficult to really clean behind it, but it is possible.

PXL_20210509_200833798.jpg
U go thru the carwash with it?

CollieDog

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Civil Construction Estimator
U go thru the carwash with it?
I hand wash my truck and use my power washer, but last winter it was to darn cold and the truck was nasty so I ran it through the Sams Express and had no problems. It is pretty solid, I put the little rubber nubs on but I don't see how it would ever touch the paint.

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Which one did u get ? WeatherTech or avs?
AVS. I called weathertech because it wasn't clear how it attached. They told me tape for the Ranger. Not sure if they have changed it since then.

OP
OP
Ranger3

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Store Mgr
AVS. I called weathertech because it wasn't clear how it attached. They told me tape for the Ranger. Not sure if they have changed it since then.
And why do u prefer the pin attachment not the 3m tape? I think the WeatherTech is flush with the hood and the ava is not...thks for ur insight

jthompson48

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
And why do u prefer the pin attachment not the 3m tape? I think the WeatherTech is flush with the hood and the ava is not...thks for ur insight
I don't like the idea of taping stuff to my pickup. That could be a completely unfounded concern, but given the choice between tape or not I chose not. I think it looks good and is very secure.
Sponsored