OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Do you clear the Adaptive Shift Tables with Forescan after updating with new shift tune from Torrie?
Would not be a bad idea, or use the tune device to do it. It is under Vehicle Options>Special Functions (I think I got the wording right, it has been a long day already). This is on the SCT BDX tuner if it is up to date.

Some places say they are cleared when you load a tune, but I have noticed a difference clearing them before loading the tune. The DCTs are cleared with the tune load and swell as KAM, but just clearing KAM (keep alive memory) is not the same as clearing the TCM adaptive tables. Thus the tuner had both options: Clear KAM and Clear TCU adaptive tables.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Would not be a bad idea, or use the tune device to do it. It is under Vehicle Options>Special Functions (I think I got the wording right, it has been a long day already). This is on the SCT BDX tuner if it is up to date.

Some places say they are cleared when you load a tune, but I have noticed a difference clearing them before loading the tune. The DCTs are cleared with the tune load and swell as KAM, but just clearing KAM (keep alive memory) is not the same as clearing the TCM adaptive tables. Thus the tuner had both options: Clear KAM and Clear TCU adaptive tables.
I have the older SCT-X tuner and it doesn't allow me to clear the tables from the device. I have to use laptop and Forescan.

Torrie just sent me your latest update! Looking forward to trying it out!

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have the older SCT-X tuner and it doesn't allow me to clear the tables from the device. I have to use laptop and Forescan.

Torrie just sent me your latest update! Looking forward to trying it out!
I would clear them before loading so it can learn the new strategy right from the start.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I would clear them before loading so it can learn the new strategy right from the start.
You guys nailed it with this revision!! This should be his standard tune. The shifting 1-5 is much improved!!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, the 10 speed tranny DOES NOT adapt to the drivers driving style. It adapts to how to it's own unique characteristics. Most automatics since the early 2000s have had this type adapting algorithm.

Below is the learn process for the tranny in the FSM.

Screenshot_20230315-172451-993.png

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
FWIW, the 10 speed tranny DOES NOT adapt to the drivers driving style. It adapts to how to it's own unique characteristics. Most automatics since the early 2000s have had this type adapting algorithm.

Below is the learn process for the tranny in the FSM.

Screenshot_20230315-172451-993.png
I have seen this, and although what it says make sense and would be great, you WILL notice a difference even after it has a few miles on it if your driving style changes significantly. Such as stop and go traffic, etc. and it will cause it to have fits again when you go back to your normal driving style and often take a very long time to correct and may even need a TCU adaptive reset to correct. Many people can attest to this and if you are cognizant of how you drive while it is learning it will help. Some people can even see a reduction in shift quality if they go back and forth between the different modes such as sport, etc. I have never had that issue since tuning, but I can imagine it is frustrating.

Disagree if you want, but I have tested it and it does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
You guys nailed it with this revision!! This should be his standard tune. The shifting 1-5 is much improved!!
Remember with advancetrac off you have no nannies. So do it at your own risk. My reasoning for doing this myself during the learning process was that I often notice that the nannies reduce power, etc. when traction is an issue, etc. and this can affect shifting. You can even notice a difference with it all on versus off when for instance you are taking off and immediately have to turn sharply. It can get confused because the truck is trying to figure out what to do to provide stability with advancetrac/traction control and adjusts and this can throw the transmission off. I have not noticed this with them turned off. Like I said it is on you to decide if you want to try it and make sure to be careful.

After I was sure the learning process was over, I leave it on unless I am having some fun. My truck is now so traction limited that TC kicks in way too much. E50 tunes will do that.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am just trying to help people having issues with their transmission and relay what I have see work for me, but if folks just want to question etc. that's fine. I can always keep my experiences and work with my tuner to myself. No skin off my back.

You guys are on your own.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Remember with advancetrac off you have no nannies. So do it at your own risk. My reasoning for doing this myself during the learning process was that I often notice that the nannies reduce power, etc. when traction is an issue, etc. and this can affect shifting. You can even notice a difference with it all on versus off when for instance you are taking off and immediately have to turn sharply. It can get confused because the truck is trying to figure out what to do to provide stability with advancetrac/traction control and adjusts and this can throw the transmission off. I have not noticed this with them turned off. Like I said it is on you to decide if you want to try it and make sure to be careful.

After I was sure the learning process was over, I leave it on unless I am having some fun. My truck is now so traction limited that TC kicks in way too much. E50 tunes will do that.
Just a side note. RSC is still active even with AdvanceTrac off. Only way to disable it is with Sand Mode.

Never thought about turning AdvanceTrac off during the re-learn. Seems logical.

Reactions: Doc

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I am just trying to help people having issues with their transmission and relay what I have see work for me, but if folks just want to question etc. that's fine. I can always keep my experiences and work with my tuner to myself. No skin off my back.

Noooo! LOL keep posting or if not send me a PM if you make another change.

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal

Dont do that! I for one appreciate your posts on the trans, because you helped come up with the new shift schedule. (BTW, I assume that the post that was questioning you was deleted, because I can't see it, and it looks like you're arguing with noone :LOL:)

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I don't see the post that he's arguing with either. I figured it was someone that I had on ignore. @TORQUERULES do not stop posting. many here like your advice. just put the offender on ignore and you'll never see his posts again.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Do you have to use a laptop for tuning?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Do you have to use a laptop for tuning?
The Unleashed tuner I got doesn't require it. I just connect to WiFi and the magic happens.
Livernois requires a PC to load the tunes.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
The Unleashed tuner I got doesn't require it. I just connect to WiFi and the magic happens.
Livernois requires a PC to load the tunes.
Are you using the BDX?
Sponsored