First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
Quick question, I loaded my 91 tune this morning and it does not feel any faster does it have to do a relearn process ?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Quick question, I loaded my 91 tune this morning and it does not feel any faster does it have to do a relearn process ?
The truck doesn't seem faster? A little relearning, but also it needs to get the OAR readings settled in so it adds timing. Also, do some data logs and send to him. Reach out to Torrie if you think anything is off. He will fix it.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
An update: I believe that some of the issues with this transmission and wonky shifts in Normal mode are due to the strategy of trying to get near imperceptible shifts on Ford's part (most drivers are p***ies. Since changing the firmness/quickness (adjusting line pressure, etc.) in Normal to be the same as Sport (coupled with the other changes we have worked on) the weird shifts you get when cold (meaning the first shifts when starting out) are one, and after those first shifts and when warm the shifts are nice and precise. Not harsh, but precise. Honestly Sport is not harsh at all, but precise, quick, has more RPM hang, higher part throttle shift points, and engine breaking. Adding the firmness/quickness has made Normal a wonder and just like it should be. I think it will also lengthen the life of the transmission.

The A10 always has some wonky shifts after a tune flash so it has to "adapt" for a few miles, but with this tune revision these were minimal and after only 50 miles are gone (well, I got one slightly slow 5th gear shift when cold once, but NOTHING like it has been before this change and that was the only one. It takes more miles to fully adjust, so I expect this to not happen again).

If anyone has ever worked on an old school automatic you will know shift kits can be harsh, u-joint snapping, events after a kit install, but if you install a full valvebody, especially a manual valvebody, the shifts are just quick and precise. That is what this feels like.

I will report back in a few days to see how it has been with some more miles and with a recommendation of either yay or nay.
So this revision in shift strategy is a must. It's fantastic. Get you some.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
So after a couple of weeks or so I'm very impressed with the tune.

Three things I'll probably ask for on revision.

I'd like it to get into 10th a little sooner up on the highway. 55-60 would be ideal for me vs the 67ish I'm seeing now.

And, a question on the ASS. I've had mine disabled via ForScan for quite some time. I like the ability to monitor charging that this method retains. With Torrie's tune I've lost that ability. I assume this would return if he "turns it back on?"

Also, in S with the tune the gears automatically display. Whereas stock they only display when manually shifting. I prefer the stock configuration and my brain is trained to it. I assume this can be changed back as well?

All in all very minor complaints. And even if none of these gripes can be addressed I'm very happy with what I got.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The forscan changes could be conflicting with the fact that he turns off ASS with the tune. You might need to flash back to stock, change that back, then flash his tune and check. Or just mention it to him. Ask him about the gear display.

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
So this revision in shift strategy is a must. It's fantastic. Get you some.
Just switched over from a 5Star tune to the Unleashed tune, specifically using the shift logic you and Torrie worked through. After some learning I am quite impressed. The shifting is waaaay better than what I had with 5Star and Torrie is very responsive with any questions. A+ would buy again.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
An update: I believe that some of the issues with this transmission and wonky shifts in Normal mode are due to the strategy of trying to get near imperceptible shifts on Ford's part (most drivers are p***ies. Since changing the firmness/quickness (adjusting line pressure, etc.) in Normal to be the same as Sport (coupled with the other changes we have worked on) the weird shifts you get when cold (meaning the first shifts when starting out) are one, and after those first shifts and when warm the shifts are nice and precise. Not harsh, but precise. Honestly Sport is not harsh at all, but precise, quick, has more RPM hang, higher part throttle shift points, and engine breaking. Adding the firmness/quickness has made Normal a wonder and just like it should be. I think it will also lengthen the life of the transmission.

The A10 always has some wonky shifts after a tune flash so it has to "adapt" for a few miles, but with this tune revision these were minimal and after only 50 miles are gone (well, I got one slightly slow 5th gear shift when cold once, but NOTHING like it has been before this change and that was the only one. It takes more miles to fully adjust, so I expect this to not happen again).

If anyone has ever worked on an old school automatic you will know shift kits can be harsh, u-joint snapping, events after a kit install, but if you install a full valvebody, especially a manual valvebody, the shifts are just quick and precise. That is what this feels like.

I will report back in a few days to see how it has been with some more miles and with a recommendation of either yay or nay.
You sound like a candidate for one of those custom 'upgraded' valve bodies ?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Point me in the direction of one not costing over $1K. Lol. If we hadn't just bought a new house last year and had a baby, etc. I would already have one.
I thought the ATS rebuild was about that but you gotta pay a core charge. But it's never the 'only' cost isn't it?

Plus if you are in CA it may be VERBOTEN.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So, I just turned 1000 miles since my last tune revision where I worked with Torrie at Unleashed more on the shifting (This is the latest revision that many of you are trying I believe. Basically normal mode has tow mode shift points and sport mode firmness and quickness without the excessive engine braking of the two. The sport mode firmness/quickness are across the board with all modes as well.). I have been very diligent with how I drive during that time to try to overcome Ford's adaptive strategy of picking the worst of our driving habits to base its shift strategy on instead of the best. I ran it with traction control/advance trac off as this seems to make a difference and I locked out any gears I did not need in given situations to force it to learn my way.

I can report that for two weeks now, with weather patterns ranging from 70 degree days to 30's and snowing, that I have not had any abnormal cold/first shifts in any gears, especially the ones that cause people the most trouble (3-4 and 4-5). This with varying warm up times from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Shifting up and down in all situations have been perfect.

I am not sure if this is something that actually worked or not, but in my experience my process helped. It may have worked with me just driving normally and it is all attributed to the tune revision I worked on with Torrie. I just thought, for experimentation's sake, that I would try to do things differently to get the adaptive algorithm to follow my lead for once.

Fingers crossed. Worked hard on this...

Last edited:

Wablackwell22

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ranger
Occupation
Paralegal
So during this "learn period" should I be traction control off? For how long?

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So during this "learn period" should I be traction control off? For how long?
I am not sure if this is something that actually worked or not, but in my experience my process helped. It may have worked with me just driving normally and it is all attributed to the tune revision I worked on with Torrie. I just thought, for experimentation's sake, that I would try to do things differently to get the adaptive algorithm to follow my lead for once.

To answer your question, hold down on the traction control button until you see the Advancetac off pop up on your instrument screen.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales

To answer your question, hold down on the traction control button until you see the Advancetac off pop up on your instrument screen.
Do you clear the Adaptive Shift Tables with Forescan after updating with new shift tune from Torrie?
Sponsored