Honest Unleashed Tuning review

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have been using 5 Star tunes in my truck for a while and have had good experiences with them, but there continues to be the need for revision after revision because we keep chasing things such as shifting issues and too much timing (not enough timing compensation) when gas is bad (bad OAR values--thanks winter gas!). So, I decided to try a tuner I had always heard great things about in the Ecoboost Mustang, Focus ST, Fiesta ST, etc. forums... Unleashed Tuning.

Let me just say this, the owner/tuner is very responsive, patient, and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to our engine platform. I have pretty much perfected my tune with 3 tries and actually for most people the base tune would have been fine, I just wanted a couple of little things fine-tuned. Nothing major.

The truck runs smoother than it ever has, the shifting is spot on, and the power is very stout and very progressive in delivery which really makes the daily driving experience nice.

Take other's dyno graphs and claims with a grain of salt. Unleashed is up there with them or better in power and far ahead in drivability. Torrie, the owner/tuner, told me he has done many of our trucks since his first that he posted the results of on his site, and this shows. A lot of companies cherry pick areas under the curve and advertise those results, it can be misleading. Unleashed is not misleading you from what I can tell.

I believe he will provide us with a safe, powerful, custom tune that we will be happy to drive daily. Just my two cents...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
If I hadn't gone with Unleashed I would have patronized Livornis.

I have certainly put Torrie through the wringer on tweaking mine and through the changes I asked for even after subsequent hardware 'upgrades' - however minor - he's gotten me what I've wanted: power and refinement. All I'm waiting on is the transmission to relearn a few things and shift all the way up to 10th gear every time I exceed 60 MPH after things are warmed up (sometimes it does, sometimes not without shifting to Sport and manually getting it there).

5 Star has a good reputation... until you read the 'peoblems with 5 Star tune' thread.

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Torrie tuned my last two Focus ST's. I have also tried Gearheads, SSI and 5-Star on my Ranger and by far Unleashed is the best of all worlds! Safe, Smooth, responsive, drivable, power.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I wanted to go with unleashed, but I contacted him and he will not tune a truck in Cali. Not sure what I will do for tuning at the moment. One of my kids lives in Arizona, maybe I can use that to get around the "no cali" tuning thing....lol
I had some P0068 and P04DB codes at one point that the F150 and Mustang forums said was related to catch can installs and could only be resolved by ignoring some out of range MAP sensor /TPS inputs. Torrie said specifically he would not violate EPA law and instead addressed a separate issue. No codes yet and I've been driving hard. Speaks well if his integrity.

Last edited:

Ranger X

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver Ranger Sport 4x4
I too have heard great things about "unleashed"... However, my question concerns the warranty. Does adding a tuning kit void the engine warranty?

Reactions: Doc

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I too have heard great things about "unleashed"... However, my question concerns the warranty. Does adding a tuning kit void the engine warranty?
Yes.

The only tune that has a warranty is the Ford Performance tune which has 3 years/36k miles and that is from the day you bought the truck, not when you installed the tune.

5 Star offers aftermarket warranties with their tunes at a significant additional cost.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It does and doesn't void your warranty at the same time. How you ask? Well there is this cool thing out there called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that states the manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. For example. The manufacturer found out i installed a cold air intake. All of a sudden the AC quit working. Well.i would love them to try and prove the cold air intake caused the AC to fail. Now if it was catastrophic engine failure and there is a tune then they have every right to point at the tune.

Hope this helps.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
It does and doesn't void your warranty at the same time. How you ask? Well there is this cool thing out there called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that states the manufacturer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. For example. The manufacturer found out i installed a cold air intake. All of a sudden the AC quit working. Well.i would love them to try and prove the cold air intake caused the AC to fail. Now if it was catastrophic engine failure and there is a tune then they have every right to point at the tune.

Hope this helps.
Correct! The manufacturer bears the burden of proof.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Is unleashed based out of CA? If not why the hell does he care about that their big brother regulatory garbage?

I swear when I buy anything now a days, including a package of underwear I am greeted by Prop 69 "this is known to the state of CA to cause cancer "

CA is probably the reason why things like spare gas cans suck so badly now a days vs 30 years ago.

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I believe Unleashed is out of Florida.

As far as California goes.....couldn't agree more! Their BS regulation is over the top and the people let it happen by voting for those assclowns running the state.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I believe Unleashed is out of Florida.

As far as California goes.....couldn't agree more! Their BS regulation is over the top and the people let it happen by voting for those assclowns running the state.
St. Augustine Fla.